Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:07 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,856 times

Advertisements

The "better or worse" issue with regards to Steubenville is the key thing, I think, with Steubenville. Steubenville is certainly no worse than Cleveland in the city, or even parts of Akron or Canton. It is far worse than the other nearby cities, though, and is in a section of the country where crime tends to be low. Wheeling has low crime, and metro Pittsburgh has low violent crime for a big metro area. I think people are worried, rightfully, that crime is an issue in Steubenville, when this is out of keeping with the rest of the Upper Ohio Valley towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:12 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,660,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
The "better or worse" issue with regards to Steubenville is the key thing, I think, with Steubenville. Steubenville is certainly no worse than Cleveland in the city, or even parts of Akron or Canton. It is far worse than the other nearby cities, though, and is in a section of the country where crime tends to be low. Wheeling has low crime, and metro Pittsburgh has low violent crime for a big metro area. I think people are worried, rightfully, that crime is an issue in Steubenville, when this is out of keeping with the rest of the Upper Ohio Valley towns.

Ok, I see what you are saying. Compared to the rest, Steubenville is bad...not that it is overall bad. I get that!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 PM

That's it totally. Folks in the valley expect Martins Ferry and Stratton. If the section of Steubenville around the former Save-A-Lot is the worst section, Steubenville is no worse than Warren, Ohio, or Ashtabula. Both of those cities have sections along those lines, and have several shootings every year. They are also loaded with drug problems, and low class urban white trash who blare loud rap music, act like gang members, and have no respect.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
That's it totally. Folks in the valley expect Martins Ferry and Stratton. If the section of Steubenville around the former Save-A-Lot is the worst section, Steubenville is no worse than Warren, Ohio, or Ashtabula. Both of those cities have sections along those lines, and have several shootings every year. They are also loaded with drug problems, and low class urban white trash who blare loud rap music, act like gang members, and have no respect.

Ooo I liked it the way I said it better. Didn't sound as violent, somehow.

I'd hope the police are clearing that all up, as we speak. Put up some no loitering signs or something.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:18 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
I just have to say again, people watch too much local "news"

Crime is no better or worse than 99% of any other urbanized area.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I just have to say again, people watch too much local "news"

Crime is no better or worse than 99% of any other urbanized area.

I agree Joe!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 9,401 times
The crime in Steubenville is higher than most cities, however the types of violent crimes for the most part are not random. They are usually pre-meditated drug or gang related crimes. During daylight hours I am not one bit nervous to walk downtown. I currently work downtown and have not experienced a problem thus far. The statement of a murder every other day was a huge exaggeration. There are some very nice neighborhoods located west of the downtown area.
Considering the well below average housing prices it would be a good alternative for people working in Pittsburgh willing to make a commute. It is not the best city in the world, but I have witnessed far worse.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 PM

If the crimes are not usually random, the average person who is not involved in drugs is probably fine. That is how Youngstown is. Problems only arise when the innocent person stumbles upon a gang shootout or something, and gets caught in the crossfire. In Youngstown, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh, this is why people avoid certain high crime areas. You never know when some rival gangs might see each other and start shooting. Also, if someone they know and have an issue with has a car like yours, you could get shot at. Thus, it is easiest and safest to avoid their "turf", even if they are not seeking random victims. Folks playing it safe is how these neighborhoods become "no man's lands". Those of us who abide by the law and avoid trouble know where these neighborhoods are, and stay away from them as much as we can.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 AM

That's exactly right orwelleaut!!! That 'part of town' is in every town. You just know and stay away from it.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM

6 posts, read 21,741 times
Quote:
What do you know about Dillonvale, ginzita? Never been in that town, thought I've spent some time in Martin's Ferry and Wellsville, and enjoy Martin's Ferry. I've been in Martin's Ferry in the wee hours of the morning for my job, and, honestly, I feel safer than I do in the little farm towns North of Youngstown/Warren that time of night.

I ask about Dillonvale, as I once read that the town was settled by folks of Czech/Bohemian ancestry, and that Dillonvale has some neat festivals with lots of eastern European food and good old-fashioned polka music.

quaker town. Cute little country town. alot of local country like festivals. Smithfield has the Apple Festival and the county fair there. And Mingo had community days (not sure if they still do or not).
If you like small country towns, with a bit of some old fashioned flare, any of those little country towns would suit you.
They are pretty close nit communities.
I really miss Ohio. If I hadn't have moved I would probably be living somewhere between Smithfield and Bloomingdale. I had always loved those country hills and the scenery was just beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio