Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 14,216 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the ville from 1964-1983. What a hole. Racist, redneck, ignorant, dirty, corrupt, cheesy Steubenville. Myrtle Beach isn't heaven but it's a whole lote better than this hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,055 times
Very pretty area. Also very corrupted. As much of Ohio's people in power are corrupted and help each other stay in office. I wish we had a lot of people come in to help us fix the state. People that knew what they were doing and how to win. Look at the news and that little place has violent crime all the way. Ive always hoped a thriving small town would be built in southern Ohio's Appalachia region with very modern infrastructure and futuristic designs. But I think even to most Ohioans its a scary area because its backwards. Then who knows what has been dumped in the water and hillsides out there.

Then again, look around, look at Massachusetts Kindergarten agenda.

Last edited by the_pines; 08-24-2007 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 AM

80 posts, read 277,545 times
Default Former Steubenvillian

Well, give old Steub. a break...some people like the slow pace....and , if nothing else, I can tell you, after living in other areas, the Ohio Valley is an area where you are free to be yourself and express your opinions openly...and that is definitely not the case in a lot of other areas....if you grew up there and then moved off to some place like Cols. or the South, you know our outspoken, tell-it-like-it-is persona is often met with disdain or a blank look or something........... Steubenville is a unique area with a unique, scrappy, unpretentious personality....I miss that.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,845 times
Martins Ferry is probably the place you would want to go. Wheeling and Ville crime seems to be getting worse and larger population. Many other areas are more like villages with 4,000 population. St. Clairsville will gauge you with taxes and if you buy a house you will pay 10% more just because it's in St. Clairsville.

Martins Ferry is slowly becoming the place to live because of low crime, brand new schools (K-12). Martins Ferry population is around 7,500. 1,000 of that are in senior citizens homes. It would also seem a trend is to move to Ferry and work in Wheeling area to escape WV taxes.

I did some digging and found these videos on Ferry's new schools. Martins Ferry also has a rural area called Colerain if you like to live in the country setting.

New school video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7lKj7TFp1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFaTYcmb200

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 12-23-2007 at 02:38 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 11,796 times
Thumbs up Steubenville Renewal

Well i have been hearing a lot of good things coming out of Steubenville -- could be the University is making a positive impact on the local leaders and local real estate...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 AM

80 posts, read 277,545 times
Who is "used to live there?"! I'm curious/ you and I are the same age.....are you a big red grad or cchs or what?!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 14,197 times
Default Unbelievable

It is unbelievable to me how bad you people make my city sound. Sure we do have crime, and jobs are bad right now. But we are not the only city in america with these problems. I don't know one, NOT ONE city that crime and jobs are not at a crisis state. We are no where as bad as some big cities. While you are talking about "Chicago boys" and all that, do you realize our police did there job and most of the people that were causing so many problems a couple of years ago are in prison. This city has all the potential in the world, we just have bad officials running it. They are not trying to help turn this city around therefore, all it has is no chance. So please before you start talking trash on MY TOWN, know what you are talking about

Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 11,501 times
Default crazy stuebenville

Now I've only been here for a few months but here's what I gather of it. Steubenville is unique as far as I can tell. For such a small population there is kinda an excessive amount of violence. There have been at least a couple shootings lately (but come on XMas eve?), one of them at the apartment I lived in 3 months ago (although it had nothing to do with the apartment itself). For one thing, someone mentioned something about the Wu Tang, or at least I think it was this thread. If you live in Steubenville, you should already know. If you are new there (like me) just ask anyone between 20 and 30 yrs old... for one thing they just had a big wedding here a few years ago, and many of the Wu Tang members or Wu Tang-related people are associated with Steubenville. And if you're not from here, look it up on google! It's even in the wikipedia! What really trips me out isn't the amount of crime for a small town though (which is nothing compared to where I just moved from in Virginia). What gets me is that most places you have rednecks in one area, black people in another, mexicans in another, white folk in another...note the segregation. But here you have a redneck living next to a (non-redneck) dope dealer living next to a nun living next to a... it is just all intermingled.
I think it is actually kinda cool and maybe the world would be more real if it was normally like that (... maybe ...), but i also think that's why people in neighboring towns and counties are horrified of stuebenville... some person comes here who's not used to seeing this kind of thing (obviously not from the city, or from a snobby part of a city), and visits their non-drug doing (openly at least), hard-working friend to see some kid getting shot up by some other kids down the street a few minutes after a nun just walked by!
And for those who live here and have said it isn't that bad... of course not... you have lived here all your life.. it is normal!
I just can't get enough of how cheap it is to live here though... heh...

I would say anyone looking at this thread (as it is pretty old and the OP probably got what they wanted out of it) should consider 2 things. 1) Do you mind living in an environment sorta like the down town of a city. Does the sound of gun fire scare you? Not every night goodness no, but sometimes. And 2) How would you like to live in a place where you can rent a 3 story house with a basement for $300-$500. Man you couldn't get a studio apartment in the projects of Richmond VA for that price without Section 8 (well maybe around $500ish).

-Me

Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
People please stop stating that crime is an issue. Crime only happens in portions of downtown that nobody is going to visit or live.

Honestly people, what happened to facts and common sense???

Old 01-15-2008, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 11,501 times
Default Not quite

I won't argue any more after this I promise... but you're wrong. I've only been here a few months and there have been multiple shootings *on my street*, and I don't live down town, nor do I even live in a relatively bad part of this neighborhood. The news (channel 9 I think) comes and tries to get a witness but nobody talks to them, which may be why you haven't heard about them possibly? I don't get local channels but I would suspect they still broadcast "there was another shooting" on the news or something. When's the last time you were on the hilltop? Rest assured it is most definitely populated (as in people DO both visit and live there), and there is most definitely plenty of crime up there... a lot of which goes unnoticed because it is incredibly common, well hidden, and people usually turn the other cheek if it isn't directed towards them. And even for those that crime IS directed towards - I've had a direct neighbor with a breakin and another direct neighbor with an attempted breakin in the last few weeks alone and I bet you heard about neither one. They were just angry, and why? Because it is not a suprise. Now I try incredibly hard to mind my own business but it is so obvious and in your face here that you would have to lie to yourself (read: denial) to say it doesn't exist. Fact? Yes. Nor does it take much common sense to see this stuff. Unless you're trying to make your city look "hard" for whatever reason, which even if you were it just isn't necessary for Steubenville, why would someone just "claim" crime is a problem if it wasn't?? Now I don't know much about Steubenville besides that... so I'd like to know what general area do you live in JoeP that crime is a non-issue? Anyhow, it still isn't any worse than what millions of people in certain areas of big cities are living, which *certainly* isn't any worse than what many millions of people in other countries are going through...
...and ya just can't beat the cost of living here =)

-Me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio