Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 05:11 AM

160 posts, read 87,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
This has overlooked some main points. The bottom line is that this county under-reflects the nation's demographics. We also have not mentioned that "thing" called gerrymandering. Let's consider that the reasons for immigrants moving here is likely closer to being closer to employment rather than anything political. Let's not actually believe "white flight" WASN'T involved in these areas either. That would be foolish/delusional and clearly on the denial side of things (once again). I would not exactly say these areas "welcomed" black residents either.

Truth is important.

Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 06:32 AM

374 posts, read 257,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten653 View Post
Exactly.

Well, it isn't hard for most of us to figure out what's going on, anyway.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:03 AM

678 posts, read 409,246 times
Quote:
This has overlooked some main points. The bottom line is that this county under-reflects the nation's demographics. We also have not mentioned that "thing" called gerrymandering. Let's consider that the reasons for immigrants moving here is likely closer to being closer to employment rather than anything political. Let's not actually believe "white flight" WASN'T involved in these areas either. That would be foolish/delusional and clearly on the denial side of things (once again). I would not exactly say these areas "welcomed" black residents either.

Truth is important.
What demographics does Butler County under-represent? It seems perfectly in-line with almost everything. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...o,US/PST045222

Old 05-30-2023, 09:15 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
What‘s your source on Butler County not being in the Cincy metro until 1960? Because I always held the assumption it was always part of it looking at old US census population statistics of the area.

https://www.census.gov/library/publi...n-pc-3-1d.html

And my point about the lack of white flight was in reference to the County's core cities of Middletown and Hamilton. They both have black populations but the white populations of the two never declined as much as either Cincy or Dayton.

Dayton and Cincy have similar racial demographics of roughly 50% white and 40% black. Middletown and Hamilton are about 80% white and 10% black.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:39 AM

And the Hamilton-Middletown MSA was added to Cincinnati's metro only in 1990

from Bing'sChat

"Butler County was formed on March 24, 1803, from portions of Hamilton County1. It was previously known as the Hamilton–Middletown, OH PMSA and was separate from the Cincinnati, OH–KY–IN PMSA until the 1990 Census when the Cincinnati–Hamilton, OH–KY–IN CMSA designation was used to consolidate the two PMSAs2."

Old 05-30-2023, 12:03 PM

160 posts, read 87,240 times
Quote:
Well, it isn't hard for most of us to figure out what's going on, anyway.

A few here seem to struggle with it...

Old 05-30-2023, 12:19 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Also having now re-read this, is it really that white? Because it's one of the few counties in Ohio to have a substantially large Hispanic population, something the state of Ohio (despite being considered a bellwether for American culture, trends and politics) I feel has always lacked compared to other states for whatever reason.
Butler county is 82.7% white. However, my experience is that WestChester, Middletown, and Hamilton have quite a few ethnicities. Theres a largish Middle Eastern community in Westchester, a largish hispanic community in Hamilton where the most everything in the neighborhood is in spanish but the street signs. Also, a lot of Indian folks live in Butler county as well. So maybe white America is dispersed throughout the countryside somewhat more so than the urban areas.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/butlercountyohio

Old 05-30-2023, 01:26 PM

678 posts, read 409,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten653 View Post
A few here seem to struggle with it...
I refuted what was said if you read my other post.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Butler county is 82.7% white. However, my experience is that WestChester, Middletown, and Hamilton have quite a few ethnicities. Theres a largish Middle Eastern community in Westchester, a largish hispanic community in Hamilton where the most everything in the neighborhood is in spanish but the street signs. Also, a lot of Indian folks live in Butler county as well. So maybe white America is dispersed throughout the countryside somewhat more so than the urban areas.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/butlercountyohio

There is quite a large Hispanic population in Hamilton and Fairfield, particularly Dominican. Middletown as well has a small Dominican population. Fairfield especially seems to be witnessing a rapid growth in Mexican/Central American migrants, many from what I hear are undocumented.

And yes, the only Sikh Temple in the CBD is in the area. Warren County has a very large and growing Asian community as well

Middletown at one time had sizable Greek/Italian/and Jewish Communities that have largely assimilated.

One other major factor that might explain Butler County's more conservative tilt is the huge role Appalachian migration played in the growth of the Hamilton and Middletown areas ..ie Hamiltucky and Middletucky, home of JD Vance/HillBillyElegy.

Unlike Cincinnati's KY population in Covington and Newport, which mirror the German heritage from across the river, Middletown and Hamilton attracted mostly hill folk from rural eastern Kentucky. My Mom's family was part of that migration. Largely Baptist, these folks were, and still are deeply suspicious of big city politicians. This legacy remains to a certain extent.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Truth is important.

Middletown and Hamilton have been "welcoming" their fellow Americans since the early 1800's, both, but particularly Middletown and its vital role as a central stop on the Underground Railroad...linking to the great Lakes via the Miami and Erie Canal...the end of which meant freedom in Canada.

I have met hundreds of black Middletonians. The race relations here are about as good as it gets, especially compared to Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, or Cleveland. Middletown is a melting pot.

Last edited by midwest1; 05-30-2023 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio