Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

34,064 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Let's talk about our fears. What's something about this city that scares you?

For me, its the chance of a random violent event happening in my vicinity. For example, when that terrorist event on the West Side highway happened a few years ago, I worked a few blocks away, I didn't even know something had happened until ppl started texting and calling me. I'm always thinking of a chance of something occurring in the back of my mind. At the same time, it helps me to be more aware of my surroundings.

What about you guys?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

445 posts, read 318,429 times
Something subway related - a crazy or the infrastructure.

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,211,224 times
That rent is going to keep going up

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

5,116 posts, read 4,964,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

For me, its the chance of a random violent event happening in my vicinity. For example, when that terrorist event on the West Side highway happened a few years ago, I worked a few blocks away, I didn't even know something had happened until ppl started texting and calling me. I'm always thinking of a chance of something occurring in the back of my mind. At the same time, it helps me to be more aware of my surroundings.

What about you guys?

thugs that go off without any warning...

Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
That rent is going to keep going up
How much are you looking to pay?

Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Something subway related - a crazy or the infrastructure.
That's a valid concern

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
thugs that go off without any warning...
Does the color of the thug going off matter to you?

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

20 posts, read 14,288 times
Astronomical COL.

20-30 years ago you could make $5/hr as a dishwasher and be alright. Work your way up a bit and be comfortable.

You need a minimum of six figs per person to have a similar lifestyle today. Expensive degrees, high qualifications, numerous certifications.

This place is for the dirt poor and filthy rich. If you make between $75-200k jokes on you. Save, invest, pack up and leave.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

What about you guys?
I'm not really afraid in the city, and sometimes I think I perhaps should be a little more. I've always been aware of my surroundings and continue that practice (In fact, I raised my daughter with "always be aware of your surroundings, who is around you, what the situation is" and so forth. Now at 32, she has said to me, "Ma, it's amazing to me how many people do NOT seem to be aware of what's going on around them."

But, as you know, I got out of the WTC on 9/11. One of the side effects of that experience was that after facing what I thought might be the moment of my death, I seem to have lost most of my fear of death. Not that I wouldn't flinch if face with a gun or an oncoming train, but more like an acceptance that we die and there might not be much we can do about it.

I do some work that requires me to attend engineering industry events, usually at night. Many of these events are held at a venue near GCT. I take a train back to Jersey from Penn, and most of the time I walk the 1.1 miles to Penn. I like walking through the city. It has an energy, and now that the pandemic is behind, people are out on the streets, in the bars and restaurants, shopping, on line for the ESB ob deck, (it's generally around 7:30 - 8 pm when I'm out walking. I'm not scared; in fact, I enjoy the walk. Yes, there are sketch people on the street here and there, but there always have been, and I stay aware of them and where they are in relation to me, but I'm not afraid. And I'm 65 years old.

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

30,621 posts, read 18,203,012 times
For me, it's not terrorism, although that is a concern always given what NYC symbolizes to Jihadists and the like. For me, it's random street violence. Thankfully, things are as bad as they were when I was growing up in Bed-Stuy in the 1990s (I've written before about how we were almost shot walking down Nostrand Avenue on the way home, my father and brother were both robbed at gunpoint on our block coming home, we've been at corner stores where a clear robbery was about to happen and the clerk motioned for us to leave in order to avoid danger, hearing gunshots at all times during the night, etc.), they aren't exactly trending in the right direction either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City