Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 11:44 AM

34,135 posts, read 47,370,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
And regarding people who act erratically, I can assure you nobody ever avoids them because of their color. Do you really believe that white people, seeing a white man acting erratically, would think "oh ok, I shouldn't worry about this crazy dude since he is white"? Btw, you don't have to capitalize White, since normal people don't care about this new spelling of a person's race with capital letter, and the wokes don't care about the whites in general, ie, nobody cares about White. I am white, but I would spell that with a capital W only if my last name were White (which it isn't).
I disagree with everything you say

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 12:10 PM

6,162 posts, read 4,545,617 times
To anyone who likes statistics, check out the correlation between poverty and crime. When poverty increases, crime increases.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:32 PM

8,395 posts, read 4,418,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
And obviously vice versa .

Old 04-21-2024, 06:06 PM

288 posts, read 168,465 times
Quote:

That is your right.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:06 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
You can’t help yourself
The only person who ever stole anything of significant value from me, meaning jewelry and cash, was white. A junkie. And my older brother. He's long gone to the great pawn shop in the sky, but I'm still more wary of certain people I know, including another relative, than I am about randos on the street.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:30 AM

8,395 posts, read 4,418,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The only person who ever stole anything of significant value from me, meaning jewelry and cash, was white. A junkie. And my older brother. He's long gone to the great pawn shop in the sky, but I'm still more wary of certain people I know, including another relative, than I am about randos on the street.
Well, I don't know any junkies that closely, and nobody in my family steals. On the other hand, I was attacked once by a "rando" on the West Coast, and very nearly raped by a randy rando in Paris when I was 20, so I am very much wary of randos in the street.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:37 AM

19,072 posts, read 14,006,551 times
The problem with randoms is you can’t prepare for it, so you always have to be on point. I’ve had suspect people close to me over the years. You know to be on guard when they’re around, so it becomes routine.

When random crimes rise, you need to keep your wits on point 24/7, which is much harder for people who lack the training and experience to do so.

Situational awareness is a trained skill. It’s not as easy as people think to stay fully aware of your surroundings at all times. The real trick is being aware and prepared but not threatening. And then being threatening when necessary to deter an attack. At all times I am aware of weapons I’m carrying and those around me for both my possible use and how they may be used against me. It takes years of training and experience to do so effectively.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-22-2024, 09:10 AM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well, I don't know any junkies that closely, and nobody in my family steals. On the other hand, I was attacked once by a "rando" on the West Coast, and very nearly raped by a randy rando in Paris when I was 20, so I am very much wary of randos in the street.
As I guess you should be!

Someone stole my purse off the back of my chair at a restaurant in lower Manhattan in the 80s. Other than that, plus a bomb and planes flown into my workplace, that's the extend of my crime experience in NYC.

I think my overheight situation has kept me from being a potential victim at times. While that doesn't mean I am immune to violence, randos with bad intent are probably less likely to attempt anything on a woman who stands a head taller than they do.

But I am always aware.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:34 AM

421 posts, read 234,600 times
Fear of fear to sum it all up.
Going in to any store and having to keep an eye on the kids touching things, breaking things, jumping all over each other and raising their voices. Likewise on the street when people are raising their voice and I don't know what is acceptable vernacular; how do I know if they're angry or having an energetic conversation? Or if a delivery order is missing something, was it a mistake or did the delivery worker take it.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:53 AM

3,263 posts, read 1,703,734 times
Everything in NYC is predictably going into ruins as the government intended that way. Without all of the absurdity they invited into this city they wouldn't be able to justify having resources and dependency of the government. My only fear for NYC, is when it is too late to undo all of the damage and then it will take another huge disruption like covid to create more government overreach.

Just 3 years ago we were fighting against government overreach and all the lunatics in this forum about masking up or abiding stupid restrictions just to go out and enjoy a walk in the park or seeing friends without having some authoritarian person telling people to mask up or have the fake vax cards.

NYC lost a lot of bright and intelligent minded people and replacing them are all kinds of weak minded authoritarian people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City