Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 07:13 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

The fear of being mugged, rob, killed, car jacked, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 07:52 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,218,042 times
All the Commies on the City Council.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:39 AM

5,823 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Worst already happened. .
It’s a liberal **** hole and arrival of illegal migrants will only make it even worse.

Hang onto your hats.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:56 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Worst already happened. .
It’s a liberal **** hole and arrival of illegal migrants will only make it even worse.

Hang onto your hats.
Are you looking to move somewhere more conservative?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-21-2024, 09:06 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Does the color of the thug going off matter to you?
My one and only fear in NYC is thuggery as well (in the street or at home). Does the color of the thug matter to YOU, since you are asking? It is not "going to matter" to anyone after becoming a victim of crime. It is statistically more likely that a thug would be of a certain race, but that matters only for planning how to avoid being a victim - once the crime has been committed, it is entirely irrelevant what race the thug was.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Does the color of the thug going off matter to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
For me, it's not terrorism, although that is a concern always given what NYC symbolizes to Jihadists and the like. For me, it's random street violence. Thankfully, things are as bad as they were when I was growing up in Bed-Stuy in the 1990s (I've written before about how we were almost shot walking down Nostrand Avenue on the way home, my father and brother were both robbed at gunpoint on our block coming home, we've been at corner stores where a clear robbery was about to happen and the clerk motioned for us to leave in order to avoid danger, hearing gunshots at all times during the night, etc.), they aren't exactly trending in the right direction either.
Terrorism is very rare, while street crime is fairly common. I witnessed (although from several blocks away) the 2013 bombing of Boston Marathon, yet I continue to live primarily in Boston, and feel safe in Boston, because ordinary crime is very low in the area of Boston where I live and hang out.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:12 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
My one and only fear in NYC is thuggery as well (in the street or at home). Does the color of the thug matter to YOU, since you are asking? It is not "going to matter" to anyone after becoming a victim of crime. It is statistically more likely that a thug would be of a certain race, but that matters only for planning how to avoid being a victim - once the crime has been committed, it is entirely irrelevant what race the thug was.
You can’t help yourself

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-21-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
The color of their skin makes them more prone to violence, is that what you're saying? Why not certain types of white or Asian males?

The other day I saw a White man acting erratically in the street, I didn't tell myself, let me keep an eye on this White man, I said to myself let me keep an eye on this man. Because if he came up to my car and started harassing me, what matter would his skin color have made at that point. Why is it let me keep an eye on this Black man, and not let me keep an eye on this man, when it comes to Black people. See, this is the problem.
No, not the color of their skin, but statistical data about probability of someone or else committing a crime. Several months ago, in the famous part of the Bronx with which I have certain personal ties :-), there was a group of certain male "youths" walking behind me which made me tense, but the tension immediately relaxed when I realized they spoke Swahili. They didn't change color :-). I haven't relaxed because of anything having to do with color, but with a nearly zero statistical probability that a first-generation immigrant teen from Africa, living in that part of the Bronx, might commit a crime.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
You can’t help yourself
I can't help myself with what? Do you consider a questionmark to be a "personal attack"?

Old 04-21-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
The color of their skin makes them more prone to violence, is that what you're saying? Why not certain types of white or Asian males?

The other day I saw a White man acting erratically in the street, I didn't tell myself, let me keep an eye on this White man, I said to myself let me keep an eye on this man. Because if he came up to my car and started harassing me, what matter would his skin color have made at that point. Why is it let me keep an eye on this Black man, and not let me keep an eye on this man, when it comes to Black people. See, this is the problem.
And regarding people who act erratically, I can assure you nobody ever avoids them because of their color. Do you really believe that white people, seeing a white man acting erratically, would think "oh ok, I shouldn't worry about this crazy dude since he is white"? Btw, you don't have to capitalize White, since normal people don't care about this new spelling of a person's race with capital letter, and the wokes don't care about the whites in general, ie, nobody cares about White. I am white, but I would spell that with a capital W only if my last name were White (which it isn't).

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-21-2024 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City