Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 12:30 PM

5,513 posts, read 7,105,557 times

Advertisements

A major cyber attack affecting all city infrastructure bringing everything to a halt would be frightful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 12:51 PM

34,078 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not really afraid in the city, and sometimes I think I perhaps should be a little more. I've always been aware of my surroundings and continue that practice (In fact, I raised my daughter with "always be aware of your surroundings, who is around you, what the situation is" and so forth. Now at 32, she has said to me, "Ma, it's amazing to me how many people do NOT seem to be aware of what's going on around them."

But, as you know, I got out of the WTC on 9/11. One of the side effects of that experience was that after facing what I thought might be the moment of my death, I seem to have lost most of my fear of death. Not that I wouldn't flinch if face with a gun or an oncoming train, but more like an acceptance that we die and there might not be much we can do about it.

I do some work that requires me to attend engineering industry events, usually at night. Many of these events are held at a venue near GCT. I take a train back to Jersey from Penn, and most of the time I walk the 1.1 miles to Penn. I like walking through the city. It has an energy, and now that the pandemic is behind, people are out on the streets, in the bars and restaurants, shopping, on line for the ESB ob deck, (it's generally around 7:30 - 8 pm when I'm out walking. I'm not scared; in fact, I enjoy the walk. Yes, there are sketch people on the street here and there, but there always have been, and I stay aware of them and where they are in relation to me, but I'm not afraid. And I'm 65 years old.
Thank you for sharing MQ.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-20-2024, 05:05 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
For me, it's not terrorism, although that is a concern always given what NYC symbolizes to Jihadists and the like. For me, it's random street violence. Thankfully, things are as bad as they were when I was growing up in Bed-Stuy in the 1990s (I've written before about how we were almost shot walking down Nostrand Avenue on the way home, my father and brother were both robbed at gunpoint on our block coming home, we've been at corner stores where a clear robbery was about to happen and the clerk motioned for us to leave in order to avoid danger, hearing gunshots at all times during the night, etc.), they aren't exactly trending in the right direction either.

Yes, just this, some random violence. I was also downtown for 9/11 and survived. It was no fun there for years after the event, but you just dealt with things as they came and it gave me confidence in my common sense - or something like that, it's hard to put into words.

But no amount of common sense or survival instinct can stop craziness. And it seems like the whole world has been going crazier by the day, with too many crazy people concentrated in NYC.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:14 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Being forced to move back there.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-20-2024, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Being forced to move back there.
Honest question, you ever lived anywhere in NYC besides Staten Island?

Old 04-20-2024, 06:34 PM

5,117 posts, read 4,966,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Does the color of the thug going off matter to you?
I am color blind when it comes to crime. However, I have a good sense for picking out the dangerous individuals from a crowd. Most of the time I am on guard when near certain types of young black males depending on how they act.

Old 04-20-2024, 06:38 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Honest question, you ever lived anywhere in NYC besides Staten Island?
No thank god. Working all over the city was plenty enough for me.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM

786 posts, read 485,117 times
My biggest fear is not so much the action of being a victim of crime in 2024, but knowing that I was born and raised here and survived the 1980s/90s unscathed yet couldn't make it out alive in 2024.

Though I was close to the towers on 9/11 and have the same horror stories as everyone else, terrorism isn't something that worries me. It's the random street thug, usually a young male minority, that worries me day to day to day to day to day.

Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 80 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneguy View Post
being forced to move back there.
me too!!!

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I am color blind when it comes to crime. However, I have a good sense for picking out the dangerous individuals from a crowd. Most of the time I am on guard when near certain types of young black males depending on how they act.
The color of their skin makes them more prone to violence, is that what you're saying? Why not certain types of white or Asian males?

The other day I saw a White man acting erratically in the street, I didn't tell myself, let me keep an eye on this White man, I said to myself let me keep an eye on this man. Because if he came up to my car and started harassing me, what matter would his skin color have made at that point. Why is it let me keep an eye on this Black man, and not let me keep an eye on this man, when it comes to Black people. See, this is the problem.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City