Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 07:23 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

I'm no mathematician... But 37% is almost 40%, and that's almost HALF. So to say "only 37%" is indeed misleading or at least silly. If 37% of the population were, say, dying of Covid for example, that would not be considered "insubstantial," I assure you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 07:32 AM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We're not saying necessarily that you're right or wrong, we're just asking you to substantiate your claim. We're just looking for proof. Had you started off with "My opinion is" then we prolly would have had nothing to say about it.

Here's another question: what neighborhoods in the outer boroughs are you witnessing this that even made you make the comment?
You can agree or disagree, that is up to the individual.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:32 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm no mathematician... But 37% is almost 40%, and that's almost HALF. So to say "only 37%" is indeed misleading or at least silly. If 37% of the population were, say, dying of Covid for example, that would not be considered "insubstantial," I assure you.
it isn’t most either , and 37% is as close to 25% as it is to 50%.

actually it is closer to 25% if you want to get technical than 50% but the point is the lions share of business isn’t from the poor or poverty stricken

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-20-2024 at 07:45 AM..

Old 01-20-2024, 07:40 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
You can agree or disagree, that is up to the individual.
What neighborhoods in the outer boroughs are you witnessing this that even made you make the comment? Fine - you don't have any numbers to present, but what's your statement even based upon?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-20-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Thank you. I thought I was going nuts. I stated that a substantial portion of the business in NYC comes from low income areas and I guess 37% isn’t *substantial* enough for some.

Some of the most successful hedge funds in the world analyze satellite data from retailer parking lots to get a better gauge of retail demand but when a peon like me does it to gauge Uber Eats/ door dash/ grubbing demand in NYC, it’s not good enough. It’s also worthwhile visiting the subreddits for Uber eats/ grub hub/ door dash (if only for the entertainment).

Sadly I spend more time than I should in fast food establishments and I have seen what has been going on. These apps practically saved McDs from bankruptcy and I don’t think that a software engineer living in Park Slope wearing Patagonia and driving a Subaru is ordering from McDs.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:50 AM

Watch any episode of "My 600-Pound Life" (trash TV is my guilty pleasure) and you'll see super-morbidly obese people who are living on disability and welfare, using EBT cards and monthly government checks, getting DoorDash deliveries of mostly fast food - and lots of it - multiple times a day. They don't have jobs, because they can't leave the house or often even get out of bed, yet SOMEONE is paying for that. I can only assume EBT covers it or their monthly income (with all other bills subsidized) covers it, but they're certainly not "wealthy."

Old 01-20-2024, 07:52 AM

I think many would also be surprised just how many *poor* in NYC take Ubers on a regular basis after the huge price hikes in the last 3 years. In this case I don’t know enough to get a precise gauge but in reality it should only be for emergency circumstances so call it under 5% (1 in 20). Just from observations I’d bet *poor* (let’s classify it as under $80K household income in NYC) Uber riders by income are substantially more than 5% of average daily riders.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:52 AM

well come to bell blvd and visit any restaurant on the strip and see how many orders are going out locally to higher end areas like bayside , bay terrace , whitestone etc … even local chinese take out have designated pick up areas filled with bags for services to pick up

so unless these is some actual survey about the financial status of users our personal observations are meaningless and to date i have seen none

Old 01-20-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well come to bell blvd and visit any restaurant on the strip and see how many orders are going out locally to higher end areas like bayside , bay terrace , whitestone etc …
I'm sure (but no doubt from higher-end restaurants). It's the wealthy AND the poor. Not so much the in-between.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:55 AM

i wouldn’t even claim that fact .

you don’t know

our building which is over 320 apartments has food delivery coming all day every day . we see them lined up in the front .

most renters in our. building are nothing more then middle of the pack or they wouldn’t be renters. many are young couples just starting out in their careers , so plenty of middle class lifestyle folks are using these services . especially if both work all day

we can guess all we want but we don’t know the finances of users
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: