Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 08:42 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,783,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You couldn't live a couple of weeks on frozen dinners, sandwiches, and canned goods? Just curious!
just guessing here but:

they probably could have... but had the means to do better so they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 08:50 PM

22,061 posts, read 13,071,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
just guessing here but:

they probably could have... but had the means to do better so they did.
I totally get that and would have done the same if I could afford it, but it was presented as an "either/or" situation.

I think A LOT of people have come to see fast food, take-out, and delivery as a "necessity," as if they otherwise would starve.

A lot of people have forgotten how to feed themselves and/or never learned in the first place.

Old 01-19-2024, 12:44 AM

106,916 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You couldn't live a couple of weeks on frozen dinners, sandwiches, and canned goods? Just curious!
nope , i am diabetic and can’t eat most frozen prepared foods , plus why would i even want to eat crappy frozen dinners and canned good foods when it’s so easy to have great meals delivered from some of the best places..

to eat the way we did while recovering we would have needed a full time person here and even then they likely can’t cook as well as we ate .

sure it cost , but i always say , money may not buy happiness but it can sure by choices at times.

there was never such a big disparity in prices like there has been either between door dash and the restaurants…

every so often door dash sends us offers where it’s worth using it on a pick up but unless there is a reason we can’t go ourselves we pretty much stopped using them .

same with instacart where the difference over the years has grown by 20-30% on many things

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-19-2024 at 01:52 AM..

Old 01-19-2024, 09:41 AM

6,695 posts, read 6,057,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
thought liberals claim raising minimum wage doesn’t raise prices!
This ^^

They knew this was going to happen but still raised the minimum wages to look nice and humane and therefore get the young vote. They love to target younger people - many who do not have a solid understanding of economics.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:27 AM

34,159 posts, read 47,390,083 times
All I smell is resentment for some that it got too expensive. Same people that are proponents for capitalism. Since when did capitalism make anything cheaper for anybody?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-19-2024, 10:53 AM

3,304 posts, read 1,716,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nope , i am diabetic and can’t eat most frozen prepared foods , plus why would i even want to eat crappy frozen dinners and canned good foods when it’s so easy to have great meals delivered from some of the best places..

to eat the way we did while recovering we would have needed a full time person here and even then they likely can’t cook as well as we ate .

sure it cost , but i always say , money may not buy happiness but it can sure by choices at times.

there was never such a big disparity in prices like there has been either between door dash and the restaurants…

every so often door dash sends us offers where it’s worth using it on a pick up but unless there is a reason we can’t go ourselves we pretty much stopped using them .

same with instacart where the difference over the years has grown by 20-30% on many things
If you're diabetic you shouldn't eat just anything outside. You don't know what type of process the food has and includes. Frozen dinners are some of the worst thing to eat.

Fresh food is cheap and easy to prepare and doesn't cost that much. The problem Americans have is that everything has to taste great in the mouth and not prioritize on health.

I doubt you'll eat fresh broccoli and cauliflower regularly, they don't cost that much to buy or make.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:44 AM

5,729 posts, read 2,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

If anything those frozen prepared meals are better for you being diabetic so you can properly count your sugar and carbs. From a restaurant you have no idea how many in what are your eating. It's just a guessing game and using insulin to counter it.
Saying you just did want to would be a more trueful answer.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:45 AM

1,913 posts, read 744,925 times
How pathetic are people who can't cook?

Old 01-19-2024, 11:47 AM

5,729 posts, read 2,639,147 times
I was standing outside my building last night. Not even 5 minutes, 3 different delivery guys came. Even in neighborhoods where the income isn't high people still will spend on it.

Old 01-19-2024, 12:09 PM

256 posts, read 119,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
How pathetic are people who can't cook?
Pathetic - that's me. I order from Doordash because I can afford to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: