Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 06:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 347,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as i thought ..pulled out of your butt ..

we live in bay terrace and food delivery services are off the hook so drawing conclusions on your own mean nothing.. i would never attempt to guess the financial status of their users .

in fact many premium credit cards come with a free membership or hundreds a year for premium credit card and like our chase sapphire reserve include a monthly credit towards free food.

i doubt the poor are likely spending a 100 bucks a year for membership either but again we have no way of knowing user financial status

EDIT

actually just found some stats

only about 37% of door dash deliveries are in low income communities

“DoorDash is now ahead of competitors UberEats and Grubhub in the number of urban restaurants it serves, particularly high end restaurants. Even so, in the US, 30% of deliveries were in rural areas, and 37% were in low-income communities.”

so that statement you made is wrong as the majority are not in poor communities or living in poverty

https://www.start.io/blog/doordash-t...ting-strategy/
We're specifically discussing NYC here so *rural* is irrelevant. Claiming that it's *only* 37% seems, to me at least. to be misleading. That is 4 out of every 10 deliveries and * low income * as classified by the US government undercounts *low income* in NYC due to the exorbitant COL.

If overall in the US, 37% (let's call it 40%) of deliveries are in low-income areas and NYC not only has a higher poverty rate than the US average but the *low income* metric undercounts in NYC, didn't your post just prove my assumption?

You're guessing just like I am. In this case, I am much more confident in my claim based on deductive reasoning than in yours. The bulk of business in NYC for these apps is from the *poor* and the *upper middle income* in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 06:33 AM

106,843 posts, read 109,092,448 times
well i said i have no way of knowing so i wont guess . but those are the figures available from door dash .

so dont make claims that you can support with fact .

we don’t know the financial make up of exactly who is ordering from these services…

they can at best maybe break it down to different neighborhoods but again it says nothing about that specific person .

good areas can have section 8 and less desirable areas can have very wealthy people who earn their living from the under ground economy in the hood.

so i wouldn’t make any claim as to who their customers are financially

Old 01-20-2024, 06:34 AM

34,135 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
In NYC outer boroughs fast food probably comprises a substantial portion of DoorDash/grubhub/Uber eats orders. We all know where those are coming from. The same groups that claim *poverty* and are heavily subsidized by the city. It’s very ironic.
Key word is bolded
No proof, as usual

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-20-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Key word is bolded
No proof, as usual
shot from the hip or believing ones own bull as it’s called …. when there are no supporting facts that is all it is.

it is something likely not known as far as financial make up . especially because the hood has some pretty high earners from illegal activities

Old 01-20-2024, 06:44 AM

Quote:
shot from the hip or believing ones own bull as it’s called …. when there are no supporting facts that is all it is.

it is something likely not known as far as financial make up . especially because the hood has some pretty high earners from illegal activities
Maybe, but you are using some type of card to pay for this, not cash. I'm intrigued about the statistics however, I wonder if any exist. Let me see if there's anything to be found.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Maybe, but you are using some type of card to pay for this, not cash. I'm intrigued about the statistics however, I wonder if any exist. Let me see if there's anything to be found.
one can use a secured credit card as well which means you don’t even need a good credit history nor credit and is like using cash ..i believe you can link a debit card too.

even those receiving welfare need a place to deposit checks and pay bills so a debit card can always be used

Old 01-20-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
well i said i have no way of knowing so i wont guess . but those are the figures available from door dash .

so dont make claims that you can support with fact .

we don’t know the financial make up of exactly who is ordering from these services…

they can at best maybe break it down to different neighborhoods but again it says nothing about that specific person .

good areas can have section 8 and less desirable areas can have very wealthy people who earn their living from the under ground economy in the hood.

so i wouldn’t make any claim as to who their customers are financially
I truly don’t under people like you. I used the the word * probably * and claimed that a *substantial* portion of their business comes from low income areas. You supplied a data point which claims 37% comes from low income areas. You proved my point. 40% of revenue is *substantial* in any business model.

You seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing. Are you claiming that 40% isn’t *substantial*?

Quote:
Key word is bolded
No proof, as usual
If you disagree then state your case. Simply stating *thats wrong* is of no use to anyone and is a lazy form of debate.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:59 AM

I’d like to ask other posters. Is 40% of revenue in a business model *substantial*? If your company lost 40% of revenue tomorrow, would that be a *substantial* event?

I feel like I’m in the twilight zone. In what world is 40% (at least) of revenue not *substantial* for a business?

Old 01-20-2024, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Where’s your proof that the hood has *high earners* from illegal activity? Are you pulling it out of your behind?

Two can play the game. I agree with you (in general) on the above statement but neither of us will be able
To produce any proof for obvious reasons. We’re both using deductive/inductive reasoning.

I would kindly ask you to refrain from commenting on my posts in the future because I believe you are not debating in an honest manner. I will refrain from commenting on your posts in the future as well.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
I truly don’t under people like you. I used the the word * probably * and claimed that a *substantial* portion of their business comes from low income areas. You supplied a data point which claims 37% comes from low income areas. You proved my point. 40% of revenue is *substantial* in any business model.

You seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing. Are you claiming that 40% isn’t *substantial*?

If you disagree then state your case. Simply stating *thats wrong* is of no use to anyone and is a lazy form of debate.
We're not saying necessarily that you're right or wrong, we're just asking you to substantiate your claim. We're just looking for proof. Had you started off with "My opinion is" then we prolly would have had nothing to say about it.

Here's another question: what neighborhoods in the outer boroughs are you witnessing this that even made you make the comment?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: