Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 02:22 PM

3,741 posts, read 3,479,644 times

Advertisements

New city council law

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2IrA...g1YmRubG1xdWc2

So naturally this will push police to ignore the public and avoid conversation

Great law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 03:29 PM

5,849 posts, read 2,967,245 times
Could be a good thing. Maybe people will breed to become more self reliant.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:04 PM

16,139 posts, read 6,881,763 times
Citizens cried to government that cops were abusive physically and verbally?

Opinion: Sounds like citizens are the problem.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:35 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,669,588 times
(Text in bold taken from the video shown on the Instagram link.)

Due to proposed changes in city law, NYPD will now have to begin to track when an officer asks general and non-accusatory questions to the public.

Police officer: Excuse me, sir, could you tell me where the nearest restroom is?

Citizen: Sure, it's--

Officer: Hold on, I gotta track that I'm asking you this question.

A new law will require officers to compile information regarding each person they interact with and guess their age, gender, and race.

Officer: So, sir, it appears to me that you're male, age 35 to 40 and Hispanic, is that about right?

Citizen: Sure, that's right, but what's that gotta do with--

Officer: Sorry, sir, but I'm required to compile this information.

It will also require officers to explain, over and over, why they are talking to each person and document such interaction.

Officer: I'm required to explain to you the reason why I'm talking to you. I'm talking to you because I've gotta take a pee and I'm asking you where the nearest restroom is.

Citizen: Yeah, of course, like I was saying, it's--

Officer: I'm sorry sir, but just in case there was any misunderstanding, I'm required to inform you as to why I'm interacting with you. It's so I can ask you where the restroom is. And just to confirm, you're still male and Hispanic, right?

Old 01-15-2024, 05:39 PM

5,849 posts, read 2,967,245 times
Learn self defense now. ITs not too late. Also arm yourself or best avoid crowded places and NYC all together.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:41 PM

1,302 posts, read 345,601 times
I’m convinced the NYPD is in with the city council on this new law. In fact, as the NYPD becomes a DEI haven, I’m convinced the objective is simply to work less and less while collecting nice paychecks just like the MTA, central office at the DOE, or a myriad of other city agencies that are thoroughly DEI’ed out and do nothing.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:50 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,702,343 times
You're jumping to a conclusion based on zero information.

Nothing in the Instagram post says how things will change.

And let's keep in mind that police have a strong tendency to automatically gripe and threaten that things will get worse for the public.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:21 PM

1,302 posts, read 345,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

And let's keep in mind that police have a strong tendency to automatically gripe and threaten that things will get worse for the public.
Have they been wrong that things will get worse for the public? We have almost 34,000 cops yet I might see 1-2 cop cars all day and I drive around 25 miles per weekday around Brooklyn. How is that even possible? If the cops are telling you they’re going to Work even less, listen to them. If you make someone’s job harder and you literally can’t fire them unless they kill someone, what do you expect them to do? They will literally just stop working.

Last edited by blanketyblank; 01-15-2024 at 06:30 PM..

Old 01-15-2024, 07:05 PM

1,474 posts, read 765,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

This bill has been In the news recently a lot. Not many peoples comments are based on a single Instagram post.

Teachers and all other unions usually complain but it’s weird it’s from a Instagram account from a verified account from nypdcheifofdepartment.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:30 PM

5,711 posts, read 2,627,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
(Text in bold taken from the video shown on the Instagram link.)

Due to proposed changes in city law, NYPD will now have to begin to track when an officer asks general and non-accusatory questions to the public.

Police officer: Excuse me, sir, could you tell me where the nearest restroom is?

Citizen: Sure, it's--

Officer: Hold on, I gotta track that I'm asking you this question.

A new law will require officers to compile information regarding each person they interact with and guess their age, gender, and race.

Officer: So, sir, it appears to me that you're male, age 35 to 40 and Hispanic, is that about right?

Citizen: Sure, that's right, but what's that gotta do with--

Officer: Sorry, sir, but I'm required to compile this information.

It will also require officers to explain, over and over, why they are talking to each person and document such interaction.

Officer: I'm required to explain to you the reason why I'm talking to you. I'm talking to you because I've gotta take a pee and I'm asking you where the nearest restroom is.

Citizen: Yeah, of course, like I was saying, it's--

Officer: I'm sorry sir, but just in case there was any misunderstanding, I'm required to inform you as to why I'm interacting with you. It's so I can ask you where the restroom is. And just to confirm, you're still male and Hispanic, right?
Thanks for the laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: