Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 01:56 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I simply asked about the use of guns in self defense. No assumptions are necessary to know if the news reports that an armed citizen defends themself with a firearm.
I'm sure that there's a percentage of the population that does.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 02:03 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if brakes on a car work , why do we need seat belts ? if seat belts work , why do we need air bags ? if air bags work why do we need crumple zones in cars ?

because they all work in different situations and are part of a package of things that protect us .

and even then we can be injured or die

Great point.

Swapping out for " people "

If people kill people why do we need people ?

Answer: Because they all work in different situations and are part of a package of things that protect us.

Removing Cops from doing their jobs was like removing brakes,seat belts and airbags.

I hope people who dislike cops understand what they voted for.................

Thankyou.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:05 PM

1,302 posts, read 332,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Interesting point you made there. Wonder how others feel about what you said.
This has always been my position with regard to guns in the US. Either everyone has access or no one has access (including GOV). It’s too powerful a tool to limit its use. Imagine if the GOV allowed some people to use cars and others not to use cars. Or some to use the internet and some not to use the internet. For those who are restricted from usage, it’s too great a disadvantage.

BTW, I truly do believe that law enforcement in blue states works with politicians to limit the accessibility of guns for non-law abiding AND law-abiding residents.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Great point.

Swapping out for " people "

If people kill people why do we need people ?

Answer: Because they all work in different situations and are part of a package of things that protect us.

Removing Cops from doing their jobs was like removing brakes,seat belts and airbags.

I hope people who dislike cops understand what they voted for.................

Thankyou.
So you've been paying taxes all this time in exchange for protection? Lol. Do you own a gun?

Old 01-16-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
This has always been my position with regard to guns in the US. Either everyone has access or no one has access (including GOV). It’s too powerful a tool to limit its use. Imagine if the GOV allowed some people to use cars and others not to use cars. Or some to use the internet and some not to use the internet. For those who are restricted from usage, it’s too great a disadvantage.

BTW, I truly do believe that law enforcement in blue states works with politicians to limit the accessibility of guns for non-law abiding AND law-abiding residents.
I kinda agree with the bolded. The premise of it, definitely yes. I'm just anti-violence.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:12 PM

1,302 posts, read 332,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You think I havent been affected by violent crime? I've been held up at gunpoint before and had someone pull out a razor on me before too. Both situations I escaped without injury.
I wouldn’t refer to it as an escape. Especially the situation with the gun. It’s just a matter of occurrences. If a person encounters one too many, bad things will happen. I would argue that law abiding residents being able to carry lessens these occurrences since criminals will have to take into account their own safety. Most crimes aren’t planned. They’re crimes of opportunity. If that opportunity carries greater risks for the assailant, that’s already a positive for the potential victim.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
I wouldn’t refer to it as an escape. Especially the situation with the gun. It’s just a matter of occurrences. If a person encounters one too many, bad things will happen. I would argue that law abiding residents being able to carry lessens these occurrences since criminals will have to take into account their own safety. Most crimes aren’t planned. They’re crimes of opportunity. If that opportunity carries greater risks for the assailant, that’s already a positive for the potential victim.
You know, this is all on perspective, but I really don't think that matters, because criminals rob other criminals too. Look at the Mafia, they killed each other more than they killed civilians. Dirty cops rob drug dealers, both sides have guns.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-16-2024 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-16-2024, 02:35 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhfloor View Post
so you've been paying taxes all this time in exchange for protection? Lol. Do you own a gun?

Funny............

Old 01-16-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Funny............
Nahh, it's really not funny
You expect a fair exchange of services for paying taxes
But NYPD is nobody's personal bodyguard at the end of the day
So whatever level of protection you're expecting, I dunno what that is
Only you can answer that

Old 01-16-2024, 05:48 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
From the standpoint of a regular person, interacting with police is almost always going to be negative.

I'm a middle-aged, fairly well off white guy that doesn't look like a problem at all. I live in an area with extremely aggressive police. I'm actually scared of the police and want no interaction with them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: