Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 05:16 AM

9 posts, read 45,723 times

Advertisements

I just noticed this: Staff Analyst Trainee List 4060 Made Public - The Chief: Civil Service Exams

... But where in the world can you find the list?! Lol, I can't seem to track it down online. I tried signing up for the chief hoping it would have more info in the rest of the article, but my subscription doesn't seem to have registered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:07 PM

9 posts, read 45,723 times
Nevermind. Just realized you can now call DCAS at 212-669-1357 then use your SS# and the exam number (4060) in order to get your list number. So now the next question would be... How quickly do lists like these usually move?

Thanks again to everyone else for any input!

Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
I'm #541/2964, good luck all.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:16 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I'm #541/2964, good luck all.
346 here.

Looks like a lot of people scored pretty high.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
wow, congratulation nyccs and Gantz. Can't believe that nearly 6000 took the exam, and more than half of the people failed the exam.

Last edited by nybklyn; 04-27-2015 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Add more content

Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
346 here.

Looks like a lot of people scored pretty high.
Yes. You got a 90 or 91.25? The good thing is this title is used by many agencies so the wait should not be that long.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
I will take the upcoming associate staff analyst exam next month and find information here is very helpful. I’d appreciate some help on the questions I have below.

Please note I am not a city employee and will take the test that is open to the public.

1. 1. How much time do you have to complete the test?
.I 2. I am using a passbook for staff analyst trainee to prepare for this associate staff analyst exam. Is this passbook not enough for exam preparation as associate staff analyst is a higher position? If not, are the questions in this passbook of similar nature to those asked during the exam?
3. 3. Passbook series don’t provide explanation to answers. Can anyone suggest other materials/websites that can help preparation for the test? Are past exams ever get published so that we can utilize them?
4. 4. If the test result doesn’t put me on the top of the candidate list, will taking the exam again with a better result replace the previous ranking? How does the city agency handle the ranking with the exams offered at different years?

Thanks in advance.

1. You have about 3 hour to take the exam
2. I study with the passbook for the exam as well, but the questions on the exam was not relevant to what you study for the passbook, at least it was not for my staff analyst trainee exam. However, there are some exam like Research Assistant passbook was actually helpful base on the feedback I got from my friends that took the exam. So, you never know if the passbook is helpful or not.
3. There's really nothing you can prepare for the exam, pretty much everyone go in as equal background, is testing of mathematics and comprehensive reading and some grammar.
4. You can only take the exam when they are open to file, like the open competitive. Once the filing date for the exam is complete, you cannot retake the exam. The exam is a one time, so if you fail, you have to wait till the next time that the city offer the exam.

Hope these help answer some of your questions. Feel free to ask if you have additional questions.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 PM

32 posts, read 138,890 times
Thanks a lot, nybklyn.
I've heard the passbook doesn't necessarily prepare you for the exam. I just want to find out the questions asked by the exam are of similar nature of the tests in the passbook. The questions in the passbook are related to various topics, government structure/function, bond issuance, managerial skills, match, logical, etc. At least, that'll give me a basic idea what field to expect.
I understand one can only take the exam when it is open to the public and the exam is not offered that often. But let's say I got score of 80 last year. This year, I took the exam again and scored 75. Does that mean they will only look at the highest score I achieved despite that score was older than the lower score? Do they only have one list with all the scores despite when candidates take the exam?
Thank you.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot, nybklyn.
I've heard the passbook doesn't necessarily prepare you for the exam. I just want to find out the questions asked by the exam are of similar nature of the tests in the passbook. The questions in the passbook are related to various topics, government structure/function, bond issuance, managerial skills, match, logical, etc. At least, that'll give me a basic idea what field to expect.
I understand one can only take the exam when it is open to the public and the exam is not offered that often. But let's say I got score of 80 last year. This year, I took the exam again and scored 75. Does that mean they will only look at the highest score I achieved despite that score was older than the lower score? Do they only have one list with all the scores despite when candidates take the exam?
Thank you.
Exams for most titles are issued only once every 5 years or so. When the new test is out and list is established, the old list is removed. You want to score high enough so that you get called for interviews before that happens.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot, nybklyn.
Thank you.
The exam questions might be different from one exam to another exam, so is hard to tell. As for the question you have about the list, if you took the exam last year and score 80, and taking the same exam this year and got a 75, that mean you are on 2 list. For example, if the title is exactly the same, but the exam number is different, then they will usually call the exam that was first given, so your score of 80 will be call first. Each list is most likely to be expire after 4 years, and that's when the city push for the exam again. So, if your score put you near the bottom of the list, that might not be a good sign because you might never get call on, so you will have to retake the exam when they are offering it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City