Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,946,959 times

Advertisements

To Guangz,

Expect mail from DCAS and your rank number on the list about 6 months -1 year from now. The process from when you take the exam to your interview is a lot longer than 1 month as you stated. I am not new to the NYC civil service process. Don't expect to hear back from agencies for interviews until next year even if you do very well on the exam (top 100 on list). Obviously if you are lower on the list (higher #), expect to wait longer for interviews. You don't apply for positions, agencies will call you when you are next on the list to be interviewed. Agencies are supposed to appoint 1 person from every 3 they interview per civil service law.

Regarding the exam, questions were pretty straightforward. Like Guang said, being detail orientated and answering just what the questions asked was most important. I felt like I should have did better than I did.

I plan on going on to the protest session to see what I got wrong and to see if it will be adjusted. Does anyone know if one has to be present at these sessions in order to have your score adjusted or is this just for DCAS to determine from the test applicants which questions deserve to be revised with more than 1 answer for ALL applicants (even those not present at the protest) ? Thanks.

Last edited by nyccs; 07-21-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,722,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I plan on going on to the protest session to see what I got wrong and to see if it will be adjusted. Does anyone know if one has to be present at these sessions in order to have your score adjusted or is this just for DCAS to determine from the test applicants which questions deserve to be revised with more than 1 answer for ALL applicants (even those not present at the protest) ? Thanks.
You don't have to be present, the score will be adjusted for all of the applicants who got that question wrong.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba454 View Post
indeed.com
Huh?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 11,177 times
I took and passed this exam back in July, has anyone else in the same boat got a call from DCAS yet?

Old 10-01-2014, 06:03 PM

5 posts, read 33,884 times
Do you guys know of someone who received a score of 95+? Does a high score guarantee you a job? Is their really a job fair for those who passed the exam? Does anyone know with certainty when DCAS will release the eligible list?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 AM

No a high score doesn't guarantee a job, it just guarantees you being interviewed sooner as the high scorers are picked first for interviews. You still have to impress your interviewers to land the job.

As I posted earlier, don't expect to hear back from DCAS until early next year with your official score and list number. Once that is sent in the mail, agencies start contacting you for interviews when they are looking to hire. The process is VERY lonnnggggggggg. Much harder to get than most private jobs as they are more valuable in my opinion given the current job market.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:00 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,582,704 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:05 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,582,704 times
Another question, if I do land a job, is everything will go by how the description that was provided on the information sheet? For example, the minimum starting is at certain amount of salary, and after a year of satisfactory of work, you will get a small increase, and after two consecutive year of satisfactory, I will become a staff analyst and get another increase of the salary? Does those rule still apply? Or I need to ask the department that is going to hire me in order to find out.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:33 AM

79 posts, read 435,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guangzl1 View Post
Another question, if I do land a job, is everything will go by how the description that was provided on the information sheet? For example, the minimum starting is at certain amount of salary, and after a year of satisfactory of work, you will get a small increase, and after two consecutive year of satisfactory, I will become a staff analyst and get another increase of the salary? Does those rule still apply? Or I need to ask the department that is going to hire me in order to find out.
My dad took the exam a couple of years ago for the Associate Staff Analyst in 2008 or 2009 I think and this year they reached his number. He was getting called for interviews left and right and he got three different offers for three different agencies. He ended up taking a position close to home and the minimum salary is like 60k! He makes more than that because he's been working for the city for a while. But they change in jobs increased his income by about 30%.

One of the interviews he went to, they ended up hiring a girl who was a staff analyst trainee. He told me that the interview process was perfunctory and that he heard from someone in the office that they were planning on hiring her the whole time but interviewed the others cause of protocol I guess. Then another interview he went to, it turns out that a family friend was a deputy director in the same department. So he swung by to put in a good word for my father and sure enough he got an offer from that department. I'm sure there is a certain amount of politics involved, but I feel that if you've been a Staff Analyst Trainee for two years that gives you a decided advantage over other applicants.

Also, the new exam schedule is out and there are listings for Staff Analyst, Associate Staff Analyst, and Administrative Staff Analyst (these all pay significantly more). All of the exams are open to the public! I took the Staff Analyst Trainee and did well, but I am definitely going to take all of these exams as well. The whole process is based off the exam, so taking more tests can only help I think.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:38 AM

79 posts, read 435,224 times
Also when my dad got the job the Union gave him a packet with a lot of information in it. One of the pages had a pay scale for all of the staff analyst positions. It really seems to me that this is the definition of a cushy govt job. The path to advancing your career seems pretty straightforward and the ceiling may be low relative to other jobs (you're a bureaucrat), but you will certainly be comfortable and making close to 100k a year towards the end doesn't seem like a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City