Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,130 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing all of these information. I have some more questions if you don't mind. Let's say that I am hire before the new exam for the associate and the administrative and all other staff analyst exam start, do you think I can tell my supervisor or my manager that for certain day I won't be able to come to work because I want to take those civil exam? Are all those other staff analyst exam similar to the exam of staff analyst trainee? If not, how much of difference are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 05:55 AM

Also, you mention about your dad given a booklet with all other staff analyst pay scale, as a staff analyst trainee, do you think I will be given that kind of booklet and where I might get it?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:51 AM

79 posts, read 434,946 times
The booklet was part of the materials they give to new members in the union. It was part of a new hire packet so I imagine it would be hard for you to get your hands on. If you have specific questions I can look for it and try and answer what I can. I have never seen any of the other exams but from what my dad said I am fairly certain the exams are similar in nature. He told me it was all graphs and reading comprehension type stuff. That seems pretty similar to the trainee exam.

I don't know about taking time off to take the test or anything like that, but it's in your best interest to take the promotional exams. I know of a woman who rose through the ranks and is now an administrative staff analyst making close to 100k within five years of graduating with her MPA. This was all because she was vigilantly on the look out for promotional exams.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:43 AM

It sound like is possible for one to move from the trainee position to a high position. However, my concern is that would my supervisor allow me to do that if he or she found out that is his or her best interest to keep me on the trainee or staff analyst position due to my good work for the past two years. Another concern is, what would justify for me to move up to a higher position. Would i be able to use the reason of ready for the next level of challenge? I personally likes to learn new skill and new concept. I don't consider myself lazy, so when i say i am ready for the next level of challenge, i actually do mean it, not just base on the interest of money.

Bottom line, my question is that, do i need to get permission from my supervisor as well as informing them that i want to move up to a higher position or not? I don't want later to find out that i didn't get the promotion job, and my supervisor or manager is upset with me afterward.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:51 AM

So, i don't need to take another exam for those other staff analyst exam once i start working as a trainee and become a staff analyst?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:06 PM

9 posts, read 45,721 times
Hi guys... Does anyone have any idea if any of the questions/answers are likely to be changed after the protest review session? I was unable to attend, so I'm really curious.

Thank you!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,379 times
That depends on the agency and your supervisor and yourself if you should ask for leave for a civil service test. Most agencies are ok with their employees having a day off to take a test.

As for the other SA and ASA exams next year...it seems like a waste of time since the trainee title progresses you to the SA title automatically assuming you pass the 2 year mark. I wish I had know that the SA exam was coming out next year before taking this trainee exam as I am already with the city and making more than the Trainee salary range. I only took the exam because I want the option to become a SA after serving 2 years as Trainee and I didn't know when the SA test was coming out...if at all because of the condition stated in the Trainee title that you become a SA after 2 years automatically.

Yes there is a lot of politics in hiring unfortunately. Sometimes agencies have their picks for who to hire even before they ask for the people for interviews. Always helps to know someone who is a hiring manager.

The administrative SA title is something I would take as it is above the SA title. It is hard moving up once you work for the city unless you keep taking these exams it seems. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raestyr View Post
Hi guys... Does anyone have any idea if any of the questions/answers are likely to be changed after the protest review session? I was unable to attend, so I'm really curious.

Thank you!
Unlikely but if they do change, everyone's scores will be changed across the board. Again, these tests are scored like a curve. If it's an easy test, there will be a lot of high scores meaning you would be waiting longer for interviews because of all the high scores.

Anyone know how the ranking is sorted on the list for those with the same scores? I think it may have to do with age or years of service if the applicant is already a city worker...but I'm not 100%

Old 10-24-2014, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 45,721 times
I *think* they also consider veteran status for ranking identical scores, though I'm not sure. I got a 95, which was nice, but with how many people took the test I have no clue if I'll end up #1000 on the list or something.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raestyr View Post
I *think* they also consider veteran status for ranking identical scores, though I'm not sure. I got a 95, which was nice, but with how many people took the test I have no clue if I'll end up #1000 on the list or something.
Veterans get extra points added to their test scores...don't think they get sorted higher against those with identical scores.

Good job on the 95...you should be no lower than 200-300 even though 6000 people took this exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City