Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 01:46 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,846,084 times

Advertisements

If you can't see it.. Well, as some may know (?) I live in an HOA mostly populated by old people. Over the past month, there isna camera somewhere that takes a picture of the car, clearly at street level. Based on the signage and background I know where I SHOULD see this camera.. yet, I do not see it. Seriously questioning the legality of this thing because how on earth can it know your speed when you don't see ANY sensors or calibration. Distance, sensors, cameras, nothing.

It doesn't appear to be on the utility box.

Haven't seen it in a tree or on a sign, and it was ground level photo anyways..

So. A couple things:

1. These aren't NJ tickets. State constitution prohibits video speed devices. These are set up as violations of the community "rules" which it says are the "speed." First one was a warning; second and subsequent carries fine. Under HOA rules but not NJ Statute. Furthering the idea that inside an HOA is privatized road, another thing that is not supposed to exist in NJ.. (they have it both ways, if trespassing it is private property. If getting a ticket, there is no such thing as private property, even though it is literally a gated community. Okay...)

2. How on earth is it measuring speed?

3. These are some really hi-res camera, in color, sharper than pictures from a toll booth. Where is it?

Maybe other people live in my HOA or one like it, but. Gotta hear everyone's take on this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 01:51 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
Reminds me of when they gave out tickets on college campuses,,, one of the rules was if the "judge" is 15 minutes late you automatically won,,, a FRIEND of mine was the judge

Old 08-15-2023, 02:38 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Yes it's real and yes you still have to pay it.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:48 PM

45,444 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
If you can't see it.. Well, as some may know (?) I live in an HOA mostly populated by old people. Over the past month, there isna camera somewhere that takes a picture of the car, clearly at street level. Based on the signage and background I know where I SHOULD see this camera.. yet, I do not see it. Seriously questioning the legality of this thing because how on earth can it know your speed when you don't see ANY sensors or calibration. Distance, sensors, cameras, nothing.

So. A couple things:

1. These aren't NJ tickets. State constitution prohibits video speed devices. These are set up as violations of the community "rules" which it says are the "speed." First one was a warning; second and subsequent carries fine. Under HOA rules but not NJ Statute. Furthering the idea that inside an HOA is privatized road, another thing that is not supposed to exist in NJ.. (they have it both ways, if trespassing it is private property. If getting a ticket, there is no such thing as private property, even though it is literally a gated community. Okay...)

3. These are some really hi-res camera, in color, sharper than pictures from a toll booth. Where is it?

Maybe other people live in my HOA or one like it, but. Gotta hear everyone's take on this....
Look on the road near the camera location. You'll likely see two stripes across the lane, they won't be real big, maybe a foot.

The camera's systems measure your speed between those two stripes that are about a car length or so apart.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:06 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,846,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes it's real and yes you still have to pay it.
Wasn't saying I didn't. You seem to be acknowledging that they can get it in under "HOA rules".. since it does not fly under New Jersey motor vehicle code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Look on the road near the camera location. You'll likely see two stripes across the lane, they won't be real big, maybe a foot.

The camera's systems measure your speed between those two stripes that are about a car length or so apart.
I can assure you, I don't see these.. "Lidar" you're referring to?

I can clearly see where the camera should be based on angle and I don't see. Starting to wonder if it is in someone's house. I'm telling ya.. this is a fairly high resolution picture.. something is up here. Barely in there under "rules"...... I still question it..

Old 08-15-2023, 03:08 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,719,851 times
Quote:

So. A couple things:

I know you might not want to say where, but can you give an idea of where this 55+ is?

Old 08-15-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Wasn't saying I didn't. You seem to be acknowledging that they can get it in under "HOA rules".. since it does not fly under New Jersey motor vehicle code.

I can assure you, I don't see these.. "Lidar" you're referring to?

I can clearly see where the camera should be based on angle and I don't see. Starting to wonder if it is in someone's house. I'm telling ya.. this is a fairly high resolution picture.. something is up here. Barely in there under "rules"...... I still question it..
First most speed cameras are moved after a few weeks in one location. Admit to the infraction and move on . You might live in and HOA (so do I) but make no mistake the locale Police have total authority over those streets. You assume it doesn't fly in NJ and again you are wrong. No points pay the fine and move on.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I know you might not want to say where, but can you give an idea of where this 55+ is?
My neighbor hood has a posted speed limit of 25MPH his ticket is for 36. Many states /Towns have min and Max speed limits.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,670,378 times
Quote:

Lawyer-up and take them to court and see what the judge thinks. Tell them they have no authority to set up a speed camera and issue fines.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:04 PM

10,495 posts, read 7,019,483 times
Seems illegal and you have old people printing the. Out at home. Dont pay, take it to court and you will win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: