Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 08:10 PM

1,366 posts, read 996,920 times

Advertisements

Do the by-laws allow the HOA to do this? If not, then they may not have the right to. Speak to a few attys. The NJ bar assoc. can help here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 08:34 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
It's likely hidden in a bush or fake rock etc. or within fence slates with a very tiny camera.

(You really should be able to figure it out based upon the angle, height etc.) After all it's roughly centered on the pole below the sign to the right of your car in the photo. Go to the sign, walk at an appropriate angle back and it should take you within a couple feet.

Get a copy of your HOA laws and see if this is mentioned.

Proceed accordingly.

P.S. This may not even be coming from the HOA, but rather some Karen or Kevin with too much time on their hands. I've heard of numerous stories where people have been given "notices" that weren't from the HOA.

Old 08-16-2023, 04:54 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Set up a hidden camera of your own, take pictures of the karen cars, and send them speeding tickets.

Old 08-16-2023, 05:53 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I know you might not want to say where, but can you give an idea of where this 55+ is?
Leisure Village

And @Mathguy yeah I think it kind of has to be in someone's window. I've looked at least three times for where it should be... I DONT see it as you are absolutely right, such a high res picture like that, I know exactly where it should be. It's not on a power pole, it's not from overhead, the camera with a timestamp is REALLY clear as you can see, this 2nd notice was generated SAME time of day as the other one. I THINK it IS a Karen as you said, especially since it says LV has "received notice."

This doesn't fly under NJ Motor Vehicle Laws and even by HOA rules this is thin.

Hopefully, nobody else will move here. They think it's Brooklyn...

Old 08-16-2023, 06:09 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
If you live there then you need to check the HOA bylaws to see if they have this power. If they do, then they have the right to "fine" you for speeding. However, you could still contest it by asking how the camera determines your speed and its calibration. It's possible that your speed is calculated by how long it takes to get from one point to another. For example, if the HOA knows that street A is 1 mile long and it takes you 1 minute to get from the beginning of the street to the end, then you were going an average of 60 mph.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-16-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
If you live there then you need to check the HOA bylaws to see if they have this power. If they do, then they have the right to "fine" you for speeding. However, you could still contest it by asking how the camera determines your speed and its calibration. It's possible that your speed is calculated by how long it takes to get from one point to another. For example, if the HOA knows that street A is 1 mile long and it takes you 1 minute to get from the beginning of the street to the end, then you were going an average of 60 mph.
Yeah I'm seriously thinking about challenging it because there is straight up NO speed measuring equipment. None. I know what LIDAR is, I know how speed cameras work.. this is a camera I think i traced it to someone's window. Maybe that is why it took a week to get two notices. Same time of day and always with no other car in sight....

But then, I don't want to be that guy that has them put in ACTUAL speed measuring equipment.

I'm learning towards the Karen theory.

Let me read the listed replies so far. This is a money grab.. not even sure I'd get a fair "hearing" in the HOA. They probably said "no speed bumps? OK watch this." Someone seems to have figured this out. As you stated, it can't measure speed......

Old 08-16-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
My neighbor hood has a posted speed limit of 25MPH his ticket is for 36. Many states /Towns have min and Max speed limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Seems illegal and you have old people printing the. Out at home. Dont pay, take it to court and you will win.
As per usual, DannyHobkins is wrong and G1 is wrong here... This is not a speeding ticket received, not even electronically by police, it is a "rules violation," verbiage does even say "We have received".. speed cameras (video or photo speed enforcement, a la speed camera) are prohibited in New Jersey Motor Vehicle Code.

I'd really love to figure out your actual profession, G1. Doesn't matter but I can always count on you for the takes you give.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:50 AM

10,486 posts, read 7,014,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
As per usual, DannyHobkins is wrong and G1 is wrong here... This is not a speeding ticket received, not even electronically by police, it is a "rules violation," verbiage does even say "We have received".. speed cameras (video or photo speed enforcement, a la speed camera) are prohibited in New Jersey Motor Vehicle Code.

I'd really love to figure out your actual profession, G1. Doesn't matter but I can always count on you for the takes you give.
I think you mean right If this is backed by HOA and its enforced you might have a lawsuit here depending on who owns the road. Might want to look into if its a town, county, or state (unlikely) road. Highly doubt its a private road, and if it is, likely not enforceable at all.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:15 AM

3,227 posts, read 1,607,987 times
The camera taking the photo of the license plate does not have to be the device measuring the speed.

It could be a small radar device that does not look like any camera.

My town puts up temporary speed devices that just tell you when you are over the limit. A small box on the side of the road with a display that shows your speed only when you are over the limit. There is nothing there that looks like a camera.

My latest car even has radar built into the front of the car hidden behind the brand badge, there is nothing you would notice.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:35 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post

My town puts up temporary speed devices that just tell you when you are over the limit. A small box on the side of the road with a display that shows your speed only when you are over the limit. There is nothing there that looks like a camera.
Yup! A town near me has one of those speed display contraptions, and most of the time when I drive past it, it tells me that I am driving at 188 mph. So much for accuracy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: