Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:34 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,438 times

Advertisements

Just stay off the roads!!! Area judge charged with DUI - Breaking News - TheSunNews.com (http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/04/23/1438858/area-judge-charged-with-dui.html - broken link)

(just kidding...it's not just a judge involved, have to watch out for the drunk cops, county leaders, town leaders, etc)

All joking aside, be safe with your money. Lock it up somewhere, preferably not in your hotel room, or get one with a safe. Act smart, take your cell with you. Don't look like a target, don't DRESS like a target, and watch your kids (if you have any)...same like you would anywhere else. MB is very safe, but the roads really aren't. There are many many accidents, and that truly is where you have to worry about safety, more than anything else. Some of the roads just kinda wander off, or merge when you don't expect them to, are not very well lit outside of the city of MB. The medians are very long as well, and they tend to cause visibility issues, as well as turning ones. Honestly, driving, traffic and other cars are the only problems you should face here. Oh, that, and what restaurant to eat in. There's tons of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,245,922 times
I live in a very safe town here in New Jersey, but I still lock the house, car, and all of my belongings. Of course I'm somewhat paranoid when it comes to safety, but why take the risk? I think if you left your walet with $100 bills sticking out in the middle of Wyoming, it'd be stolen. Doesn't matter where you are. Just use some common sense.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,259 times
I have lived in Myrtle beach for 6 years. People have been robbed in day light on the beach sunning themselfs. Cars get brokin into along the strip and it is not just strip bars and people who associate
with that element. Save your trip. It is not a family beach any longer. I have watch it get worse each year and look forward to moving so I can raise my 3 year old some place safer.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stay away mb View Post
I have lived in Myrtle beach for 6 years. People have been robbed in day light on the beach sunning themselfs. Cars get brokin into along the strip and it is not just strip bars and people who associate
with that element. Save your trip. It is not a family beach any longer. I have watch it get worse each year and look forward to moving so I can raise my 3 year old some place safer.
Mayberry is a little further North, and even they had a jail. Come on, this is as misleading as the crime statistics. As mentioned earlier, use common sense. Don't lay on the beach napping with your camera and wallet sticking out of your beach bag.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Default Yes, and look what happened in "Mayberry"

I agree with neecewh. Use common sense and you should be fine. Coincidentally, I saw this article in the Sun News this morning about a robbery in "Mayberry" and it was Thelma Lou from the Andy Griffith show who was robbed.

'Andy Griffith Show' actress robbed in 'Mayberry' - TV - Wire - TheSunNews.com (http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/04/29/1448333/andy-griffith-show-actress-robbed.html#storylink=omni_popular - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Mayberry is a little further North, and even they had a jail. Come on, this is as misleading as the crime statistics. As mentioned earlier, use common sense. Don't lay on the beach napping with your camera and wallet sticking out of your beach bag.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,973 times
We just stayed at Compass Cove and had our locked hotel room broken into and lots stolen during mid morning! Lots of the doors had marks near the latches where they had also been compromised. Only a few doors had deterents on them. Some of the doors that were supposed to be pass card protected were left unlocked. No video surveilance or front desk people have to pass by. We felt incredibily un-safe there! Maybe because it was off season and there were less tourists. I would stay to some of the the more southern beaches (Surfside, Pawleys Island) they seem much more suited to families and less intimidating.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 PM

71 posts, read 192,295 times
I have vacationed at Myrtle Beach many times and have NEVER felt unsafe and have NEVER had any problems with crime at all. Most of the crime you hear about is related to partiers getting out of control. If you're going for a family oriented vacation, research resorts that cater to families instead of singles or the party crowd. I love staying at the Dayton House. They don't have quite as many amenities to offer as some of the larger resorts, but it's quiet, the rooms are very nice, the beach, lawn, pools, and grounds are beautiful, they don't allow people under age 25 to stay unattended by an adult, don't allow motorcycles, etc. It's very low-key, but is still centrally located, so you can have peace and quiet when you want it, or you can shop, eat out, and enjoy all the Strand has to offer. And no, I don't work for them or for the tourist department;-). I'm just a happy customer.

Myrtle Beach is really nice. I think you'd enjoy a vacation there.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 AM

29 posts, read 160,354 times
I live in Myrtle Beach about a half block from the beach (and close to Compass Cove) and in my personal opinion it is safe if you follow the normal precautions. I would not leave my car unlocked or walk alone on the beach or boulevard at night, but I think those are the norm for any city. I am from the north and did the same up there. I always walk my dog on the beach or in the Market Commons by myself and have never been worried. Hope you decide to come, enjoy your stay.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,327,926 times
20+ years we have vacationed in MB and have never had a single issue with crime ever.

Common sense has to be used as you do not want to be out on Ocean Blvd at midnight either.

We have stayed 2-3 weeks and many weekends per year for all of those years and never felt unsafe at all.

I would NOT recommend Compass Cove. Not that nice and according to a travel website they have a history of hiring maids with criminal backgrounds who steal things out of rooms, leave rooms unlocked etc.

Go to Carribean Resort or Dunes Village as they both have tons of great amenities and are in safe places.

We will be back in MB in June as always.

With more then 100 trips by car from central Ohio to MB and many plane rides I highly recommend MB as long as you use common sense just like you would any other vacation spot.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,689,659 times
I have gone to MB for the past 9 winters. We have never not felt safe there. If we did I wouldn't return. However, we stay in Surfside Beach. As a family I would stay in a condo in Surfside or in Cherry Grove. Two places we have stayed in family groups.
Just use your normal safety precautions. Market Commons or Broadway at the Beach is a great place to walk or shop.
I don't get a city feel at all and I've spent days in many cities here and there.......
The main area of Myrtle is crowded, but not the outter edges.
It is a fine place to vacation........Just watch not on bike weeks and not during the deep summer traffic times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area