Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM

17 posts, read 99,855 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering moving for the first time out of NH and we're seriously considering South Carolina, specifically Myrtle Beach area. Coming from a state that has really no poisonous creatures or anything that can really harm you at all; I was just curious about your state's creatures such as the Black Widow, Brown Recluse and I heard that you have scorpions there? Also alligators and crocodiles.

Can you tell me what it's like living in an area that has these kinds of creatures? Do you see those spiders or any other kind of spiders (or scorpions) often in your daily routines? Do they get in your house or apartments? I was putting laundry away today, and was thinking about those spiders and wondered if anyone has ever found them in their closets? (put on a shirt and found a black widow sitting on your shoulder) Where should I expect to find them? What should I do if there is one on me? (besides my natural instinct to freak out, but since these spiders are a lot different then the ones in NH, I would probably get bitten if I was to freak out)

The spiders around NH are usually only the size of a quarter or smaller, and don't have big thick legs or anything, they do not look tarantula-like. Do most spiders look tarantula like in SC?

I plan on bringing my cat with me when I move, and I'm worried that she might "get in a fight with a poisonous spider". Should I be concerned about my cat and her seeing these new interesting bugs that she will more than likely try and eat/attack? (she's an indoor cat only)

Lastly (probably not my last question,) the crocodiles/alligators; do you see those often? Should I be cautious or concerned when I see one? Where might I see one in SC; Myrtle Beach area? If I ever get a chance to go swimming in a lake in SC, should I be worried about crocodiles/alligators? Should I be worried about anything in a lake in SC?

Oh, and snakes. I am not one who is afraid of snakes at all, and this is probably because in NH we don't (to my knowledge) have any poisonous snakes or large snakes. Should I be more cautious of snakes while living in SC? Where would I find snakes in your state? I read some where that in places like Arizonia you do not want to walk around in the tall grass, should I take this same precaution in SC? Do you have snakes in lakes?

Basically, what should I look out for in SC; creature wise? What should I do if I find one of these creatures? I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me what to do, to avoid getting injured in your state, coming from a state where I have basically no worries. (Also please mention any other creatures that I may not know about that I should also be concerned about or expect to see)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,551,929 times
I was almost hoping to see some of the critters you mention (although not in my townhouse). Our townhouse backs up to a track of dense woods and swamp. We have been there, off and on, since July. I've seen nothing dangerous. And I have been looking hoping to find something interesting to take pictures of. The only gators we have seen have been in Huntingdon Beach State Park in a protected area. The bugs are much worse in NJ where we come from......

Old 02-05-2010, 06:08 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,349,564 times
Coral snakes. Remember the saying: If red touches yellow, watch out fellow (it's a coral snake). If red touches black, venom he'll lack (a harmless snake that looks similar). Not that you'll see them a lot, at least from what I've been told.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:43 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,126 times
I would never swim in a lake in South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, or anywhere that alligators or crocodiles could be! stick to the ocean for swimming. Even though I never once saw an alligator when I lived there, but you can check my question from a couple weeks ago and people's answers... How serious a threat are alligators... or hurricanes?

The only bugs I saw that bothered me where palmetto bugs. One came crawling down my bedroom wall one night and i flipped out. I had never seen one of those things and it was huge! The bugs and humidity are my biggest irritations for wanting to move back there... but it just depends on what you can live with right!

PS I never heard of scorpions there... but then again I didn't research all bug life as I wasn't too concerned at that time like I would be now for a permanent move with my animals.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,458,442 times
Don't forget my favorite -- palmetto bugs!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,692,776 times
I don't think scorpions exist in the south,do they? I've been to MB all my life,and have never seen much in the way of bugs (other than the normal occasional cockroach,depending on where you stay) or everyday normal- sized spiders, and never any scorpions at all.I've brought my cats down,too,with never any problems.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,879,222 times
This thread may answer some of your questions.

How serious a threat are alligators... or hurricanes?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:44 AM

17 posts, read 99,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Don't forget my favorite -- palmetto bugs!
Are these those bugs that look like Cockroaches? Are they big? Do they bite or do anything? Or are they just gross, lol.

I think I've only seen a Cockroach in NH (where I'm from) maybe once or twice, and they were very very small. They probably wern't even Cockroaches. One was slightly bigger than the other, and it was on one of the walkways outside of McDonald's and he was on his back trying to roll over and I grabbed a stick and let him grab it and then put him in the grass right side up. (I always feel bad animals that can get stuck like that, I hate seeing them struggle. Unless its a spider, then I really don't care, lol) The other one was really tiny and it was dead on the floor of a dimly lit Chinese food restaurant.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,458,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASLeathe View Post
Are these those bugs that look like Cockroaches? Are they big? Do they bite or do anything? Or are they just gross, lol.

I think I've only seen a Cockroach in NH (where I'm from) maybe once or twice, and they were very very small. They probably wern't even Cockroaches. One was slightly bigger than the other, and it was on one of the walkways outside of McDonald's and he was on his back trying to roll over and I grabbed a stick and let him grab it and then put him in the grass right side up. (I always feel bad animals that can get stuck like that, I hate seeing them struggle. Unless its a spider, then I really don't care, lol) The other one was really tiny and it was dead on the floor of a dimly lit Chinese food restaurant.

Just gross, huge and pain in the . . . . American cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But a bigger problem than all the things you listed initially.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:26 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,877,121 times
Hey, AS.
I understand your wanting to take every precaution to protect your "baby". My furry, 4-legged babies are my priority too. I've killed 2 black widows this year and my husband has killed one....all outside but on our farm 4 ours farther inland than Myrtle Beach. I've never been able to identify a brown recluse so I'm not sure if I've run across them or not. Spiders like dark, quiet places....I found these in our well house, a chimenea we had not used for many months and an old flower pot. I'll be interested to see if anyone there in MB, especially in condos and town homes, have found any. Also, yes, I have had scorpions to get into the house and my cat has killed a few. None have ever hurt her, or my dog for that matter. I freaked out when I saw my first scorpion....from what I was told, they are not poisonous like the ones out West. Essentially, the worst they can do is to zap you like a bee sting, again, from what I was told.

I don't walk my dog near any marshes or ponds when we are at our place at the coast. I don't believe in taking any unnecessary chances and that seems to be where most of the gators hang. Never heard of any crocs around our area.

Snakes...yes, we have snakes. Thank GOD I've never seen a coral snake...pay particular attention to the description given above.....red on yellow, kills a fellow! red on black, venom lack. Coral snakes are small agressive snakes that have a deadly venom. I don't take my dog walking in grassy areas or areas where I can't see where we both are walking...regardless if I'm at the beach or on the farm. Snakes like rocky areas, underneath fallen trees, etc... We have water moccassins, copperhead moccassins and rattlesnakes in the Upstate. I'm not sure how many of these there are in the lower part of the state. My feeling, based on my personal experiences over the years, is that you are much more likely to see snakes in wooded, park-like or overgrown areas. Areas that are populated, kept mowed and clean and are noisy tend not to have snakes.

I hope that helps to allay some of your fears. I guess because I've always lived in rural areas, it is simply second nature to know where we are putting our hands, where we are stepping and where the risk areas are for gators...... Just like driving in snow and preparing for bitter cold is second nature to you in NH! There are risks wherever you go and you are doing the right thing. Get informed, prepare but don't let it become a paraoid kind of fear.......there is an incredibly low chance you will ever have to deal with a dangerous encounter. Good luck!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area