Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,511 times

Advertisements

oh i would NEVER let my dogs run free without me, i hope that wasn't what you got out of my statement of wanting to let my dogs RUN. when we take them on hikes, they always stop and look back to make sure we are coming. there must be other places in nature, other than dog parks, where they can roam around and enjoy the scenery (with me)... is there any of these places at all? Im glad you said your dog is deaf at the dog park, because mine are too, they dont have manners at all and it stresses me out that's why i dont like taking them to dog parks cause people think my dogs are so bad when im yelling and yelling for them to come and they just ignore me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
oh i would NEVER let my dogs run free without me, i hope that wasn't what you got out of my statement of wanting to let my dogs RUN. when we take them on hikes, they always stop and look back to make sure we are coming. there must be other places in nature, other than dog parks, where they can roam around and enjoy the scenery (with me)... is there any of these places at all? Im glad you said your dog is deaf at the dog park, because mine are too, they dont have manners at all and it stresses me out that's why i dont like taking them to dog parks cause people think my dogs are so bad when im yelling and yelling for them to come and they just ignore me...

Nope, nothing like that at all down in this area that we've seen thus far. We purchased a book from Amazon that gives you places to hike w/your pooch, as well as one for waterholes, but they are not remotely close, unfortunately.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,694,168 times
Mostly dogs run in the dog parks....there are a few close by in Myrtle Beach.
Other then that they are on a leash. I was once turned in when my dog was ON a rope just to go outside quickly in a rain storm. I stood inside the door......one cranky...turned us in. They needed to see me standing out in the rain I guess.
They run on the beach on long leashes, and seem to have a great time.
There are fences at many places. Some have added to their rules a small 3/4 foot fence.
Dog anywhere running around can be picked up and sold........
Its good wherever you live to keep your beloved dog close to you.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,694,168 times
You could walk them at the park by the Market Commons also.....have to be leashed though.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:11 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
You could walk them at the park by the Market Commons also.....have to be leashed though.
There's a dog park right down the corner from there.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,886 times
We just moved here from OH. Up there, the bugs were horrible. Granted, it's still cool outside but I haven't seen anything to worry about since I've been here. I tell you what though...well, for one, I'm not one who scares easily. I've swam with sharks (although small, they're still sharks!), swam in reefs, hiked through mountains...BUT...if I ever come across a snake, I'm outa here. I hate those little nasty, beady eyed freaks. I love it so far down here (Conway, closer to MB) but if there's a snake issue here, I won't hesitate to pack up and move back to OH.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 13,009 times
Don't forget fire ants. When we lived closer to the ocean (I'm 3 miles from it now), the problem we had mostly outside was fire ants. Thats a problem in the South. They're very aggressive and they bite!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASLeathe View Post
My boyfriend and I are considering moving for the first time out of NH and we're seriously considering South Carolina, specifically Myrtle Beach area. Coming from a state that has really no poisonous creatures or anything that can really harm you at all; I was just curious about your state's creatures such as the Black Widow, Brown Recluse and I heard that you have scorpions there? Also alligators and crocodiles.

Can you tell me what it's like living in an area that has these kinds of creatures? Do you see those spiders or any other kind of spiders (or scorpions) often in your daily routines? Do they get in your house or apartments? I was putting laundry away today, and was thinking about those spiders and wondered if anyone has ever found them in their closets? (put on a shirt and found a black widow sitting on your shoulder) Where should I expect to find them? What should I do if there is one on me? (besides my natural instinct to freak out, but since these spiders are a lot different then the ones in NH, I would probably get bitten if I was to freak out)

The spiders around NH are usually only the size of a quarter or smaller, and don't have big thick legs or anything, they do not look tarantula-like. Do most spiders look tarantula like in SC?

I plan on bringing my cat with me when I move, and I'm worried that she might "get in a fight with a poisonous spider". Should I be concerned about my cat and her seeing these new interesting bugs that she will more than likely try and eat/attack? (she's an indoor cat only)

Lastly (probably not my last question,) the crocodiles/alligators; do you see those often? Should I be cautious or concerned when I see one? Where might I see one in SC; Myrtle Beach area? If I ever get a chance to go swimming in a lake in SC, should I be worried about crocodiles/alligators? Should I be worried about anything in a lake in SC?

Oh, and snakes. I am not one who is afraid of snakes at all, and this is probably because in NH we don't (to my knowledge) have any poisonous snakes or large snakes. Should I be more cautious of snakes while living in SC? Where would I find snakes in your state? I read some where that in places like Arizonia you do not want to walk around in the tall grass, should I take this same precaution in SC? Do you have snakes in lakes?

Basically, what should I look out for in SC; creature wise? What should I do if I find one of these creatures? I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me what to do, to avoid getting injured in your state, coming from a state where I have basically no worries. (Also please mention any other creatures that I may not know about that I should also be concerned about or expect to see)

Thanks!
I don't know about Myrtle Beach, but I know there are scorpions in the state of Texas, and in the city of Columbia SC

Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,151,696 times
Yep we do have a few "creatures " here. We got bears and cougars and aligators and lot of our snake friends too. Here is one my neighbor had to shu out of his garden last spring........You know if you are afraid to even GO OUTSIDE maybe you shouldnt move "down south" lol
Attached Thumbnails
Should I be worried when I move to SC? (animals)-black-mamba.jpg   Should I be worried when I move to SC? (animals)-moose.jpg  

Last edited by Nativechief; 09-20-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,648,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISellHomesInMyrtleBeach View Post
Don't forget fire ants. When we lived closer to the ocean (I'm 3 miles from it now), the problem we had mostly outside was fire ants. Thats a problem in the South. They're very aggressive and they bite!
That I think is my biggest issue! When we stopped for a night with our camper(at a hotel-easier than unhooking to go to FL), I was helping back our camper into a spot. I forgot when I stepped off the curb into the grass. Next thing I knew my feet were on fire! Not fun-hubby saw and threw ice water from the cooler on my feet-that was a big help. But becareful when walking in grassy areas with sandals, otherwise you feet might be attacked.

I don't like bugs either-when it rains here in Upstate NY, we seem to get spiders and centipedes. Nasty buggers. If I saw an alligator-I'd be up the nearest tree-they totally freak me out. MIL had one sunning itself behind her car in FL-it became a nuisance and had to be removed.

On one of our trips to Pirateland, we had a visitor. A small lizard managed to get into our camper and was in the window between the screen and window. Had the hubby get that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area