Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,700,535 times

Advertisements

I've heard from friends who have moved to the MB area that it's a good idea to have a contract with an exterminator for quarterly inspections and work to get rid of ants and termites in and around your home. Dry pet food will especially attract these critters so be careful where and how you store it (maybe empty boxes and bags into Tupperware or Rubbermaid containers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,558 times
Dawne... good point. things i never think of about the food. and ick ants! yes we had them in the condo i lived in... man it's hard to think about living with hardly any bugs here in NV and moving back to the bug infested south.... !

Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,695,515 times
Yes, you have to have the exterminater come every few months and that works fine.
I haven't seen a snake in MB yet or Surfside Beach and I am on a canal! We just have a nice river otter here........lots of ducks of all colors and swans.
To see alligators in Huntington Beach marsh area go either early or late........midday we seem to see none.
The alligator we always see in just over the border at a golf course...he is either on the bank or on the edge..........at the water on 178(?) close to our SC border.
I've seen no spiders or scorpions at all........
Lots of beautiful dolphins.......and some gorgeous "black" swan.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:41 AM

609 posts, read 1,261,770 times
this post made me giggle a bit...but only because its a lot of the things i wanted to know...i asked about the alligators, because they seem to be the hugest threat as far as im concerned, but really, i know nothing about them as far as their behavior, and exactly how big a threat theyd actually be...i was mostly just scared theyd eat my dog lol. go you for your thorough questioning, it helped me too

Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,557,381 times
We've been, off and on, about 8 months in Murrells Inlet. I was supprised at how few bugs I have seen. More toads and little lizards than bugs (part of the reason?). No where near as many biting insects as we have in Central NJ, even though our townhouse is surrounded by swampy, thick woods.

One clue as to why came in the mail yesterday from the HOA. Exterminators come every third Monday of every month. Every other month they treat the inside of the townhouse, the other months the outside. Kind of like "nukeing the planet from orbit"!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,695,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
this post made me giggle a bit...but only because its a lot of the things i wanted to know...i asked about the alligators, because they seem to be the hugest threat as far as im concerned, but really, i know nothing about them as far as their behavior, and exactly how big a threat theyd actually be...i was mostly just scared theyd eat my dog lol. go you for your thorough questioning, it helped me too
Don't walk your dog along a lake/pond edge.........They hide and hang out in that tall grass. Any story I have ever read was how they just popped out of nowhere on the "edges" area.......to grab someones dog.
I know the one alligator we got a picture of last year was at a car pull over area along the two lane highway. The alligator seemed to be sleeping, but one never knows.
Other then that..........We have had two dogs down here that we walk in many places without an issue. Even by the canal in the back.
I also have seen more bugs back home. Way too many in PA....

Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM

thanks summering, i will take that advice very seriously. my dog is an idiot and hed probably try to go after it lol. if not for that, i wouldnt have been too worried about it, hes just not too smart. the other night i was watching something on dinosaurs and he charged the tv barking...its enough to make me nervous lol. are they only in lakes and ponds? not the ocean, right?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:19 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,558 times
OK this is what gets me, and i think i already asked, but im gonna ask again - all the places i see for rent (houses that allow dogs) dont have fenced backyards! i mean, maybe i have really bad dogs, but if i just let them out back to go potty they will run around the neighborhood enjoying their day, coming back home at their leisure... do any homes have fenced yards?? okay well that was kind of off subject - the real one is a lot of these homes back up to "ponds" or have "lake views", once again with no fences... well if it so happens that my dogs run down to frolic in the water (which they love) this is off limits is that correct? is it safe to assume alligators live in all neighborhood ponds or lakes, or only some of them? (i have two dogs about 55 pounds each)... and mine would probably try to go after the alligator as well... he's already tried it with cows and a wild horse... and my little girl just follows what he does... so it is my complete main concern, as I dont just like to walk my dogs on leashes (which i do but), i like to let them RUN. you know? any places to just do that? safe hiking areas?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:46 PM

verde! another question of concern for me lol. i was complaining to my friend in minnesota about that and she said...you live in california, thats the fenced in state. i personally dont understand how people can live without the fences if they arent living out in the country lol. i mean, if i didnt have a dog, i wouldnt care...but i do have one, and i want one or two more! gotta have a fence. ive got a friend in ohio (who travels that side of the country excessively) who said not having a fence is pretty common on that side of the country, but that its possible to put up your own with proper permits.

edit - sorry, i missed the part where you were looking to rent, not buy.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:47 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
i mean, maybe i have really bad dogs, but if i just let them out back to go potty they will run around the neighborhood enjoying their day, coming back home at their leisure... do any homes have fenced yards??
First off, there's leash laws in place in Horry County. Almost all of the condo places have their own as well, charging somewhere upwards of $200 per incident in some of them. So yes, having your dogs off leash does cause an issue. Mostly for you.

Secondly, dogs are known to disappear lately. People find them, then sell them. There are also dog fights going on. Not sure if this is where they get the dogs from or not (the wanderers they find). If you check on Craigslist you'll see post after post of dogs missing. Oh, plus of course, all the dead dogs on the sides of the roads. In any given day, you can come across at least a dozen or more.

There are 2 dog parks in Myrtle Beach, plus appx 5 in the Charleston area (they are superb!!!!!).

Any owner who just lets their dog run free w/o them there should be fined heavily. Ours is very trained (by a dog trainer and by us) and won't go more than 20 feet ahead of us and comes when called. Unless he's at the dog park. Then we can call him 20 times and then he's deaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area