Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
A small lizard managed to get into our camper and was in the window between the screen and window...
Lizards are your friends. They eat insects which are not nearly as pretty or friendly. This anole took up summer residence in one of our hanging baskets. Food was plentiful and rent was cheap...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:37 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,674,170 times
Default Lizards!

I love them, they are harmless to us. And PD, what a wonderful picture!

Old 09-26-2010, 03:14 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,234 times
Thanks, vrexy.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,649 times
I relocated to the Hilton Head from the MA - NH area 5 years ago, and did read about all the critters down here. Honestly, I have seen most of them. Both types of spiders you mentioned are around the outside of our home in a residential community. One must just know what they look like and avoid them, or dress appropriately if doing yard work - with leather gloves.
I have learned to cut my shrubs up from the ground and use large bark chips as mulch to discourage snakes. We had 3 years battling copperheads that crossed our yard continually. They tend to be somewhat passive, but I am not taking chances. By clearing the land around shrubs they become vulnerable to predators.
We have alligators in every lagoon in our community. When walking, I watch from a distance, and if my golf ball goes into water, I leave it there. Not worth it.
Household bugs are what bother me the most. Spiders are a reality of life down here and an occasional Palmetto bug is also a reality. We have an exterminator treat our house and property regularly, and I have cans of bug spray for whatever runs across the floor, wall, or counter. As far as I am concerned, light colored floors, walls, and counters are a must. At least you can see the critters and deal with them.
I have found hornets, wasps, and bees much more prevalent down here, just leave them alone, unless they are making a next. Then you must treat it.
What I found difficult to deal with are the invasive plants that can cause skin rashes and the biting gnats and mosquitoes. The ones in New England are nothing compared to the ones down here. You must find an insect repellant that works for you.
The trade off no snow. Not quite sure if it is worth it.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:35 PM

174 posts, read 257,915 times
Great pic, PawleysDude. Does that little lizard eat Palmetto bugs? If so, I'll take a dozen...lizards that is!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:31 AM

935 posts, read 1,650,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEngland transplant View Post
I relocated to the Hilton Head from the MA - NH area 5 years ago, and did read about all the critters down here. Honestly, I have seen most of them. Both types of spiders you mentioned are around the outside of our home in a residential community. One must just know what they look like and avoid them, or dress appropriately if doing yard work - with leather gloves.
I have learned to cut my shrubs up from the ground and use large bark chips as mulch to discourage snakes. We had 3 years battling copperheads that crossed our yard continually. They tend to be somewhat passive, but I am not taking chances. By clearing the land around shrubs they become vulnerable to predators.
We have alligators in every lagoon in our community. When walking, I watch from a distance, and if my golf ball goes into water, I leave it there. Not worth it.
Household bugs are what bother me the most. Spiders are a reality of life down here and an occasional Palmetto bug is also a reality. We have an exterminator treat our house and property regularly, and I have cans of bug spray for whatever runs across the floor, wall, or counter. As far as I am concerned, light colored floors, walls, and counters are a must. At least you can see the critters and deal with them.
I have found hornets, wasps, and bees much more prevalent down here, just leave them alone, unless they are making a next. Then you must treat it.
What I found difficult to deal with are the invasive plants that can cause skin rashes and the biting gnats and mosquitoes. The ones in New England are nothing compared to the ones down here. You must find an insect repellant that works for you.
The trade off no snow. Not quite sure if it is worth it.
May be the first time Ive seen this since joining, I wondered. All my life here, as Ive 'matured' more, Ive adapted more; I dont get off the path in warm weather, save that work for cold months. I carry a shovel or something for quick reaction situations, snakes dont want trouble any more than we do and this is out in the living area, not deep woods. always keep a stick around the pond or garden. hawks and owls are good too.

Bugs are worse fear for me than snakes, ticks and redbugs. Ive had success on skeeters with this little whirring thingy that clips on yer belt (me thinks its an 'Off' product). otherwise, wear light colored clothing, even longsleeved on bad days, mainly for covering bare skin and so you can see the little buggers (ticks) before they latch on to ya. Be slow, watch what you move, pick up ect, could be nesting on stuff thats been setting (wheelbarrows, for instance) for some time.

Last edited by burr; 05-20-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-30-2015, 10:16 PM

401 posts, read 380,164 times
If you're from any state north of Virginia, our animals are trained to attack you.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
I live in myrtle Beach SC there are black widow's and brown recluse spiders everywhere there are also wolf spiders. There are also quite a few scorpions as well. There are alligators in most ponds and lakes, and the occasional swimming pool. There are NO crocodiles here. The "palmetto bug" is actually called an American Cockroach. They are big and are attracted to wood and water. They mostly live in the palmetto trees that are here. Not sure if they bite but they are are big and nasty. Good luck....

Old 06-07-2015, 03:38 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,549,320 times
I grew up in Jersey and saw black widow spiders a lot in the summer (in our garden shed and under the lower leaves of the cabbage plants in my parent's garden, which my brother and I had to weed). I have never seen a black widow in SC. And, as far as I know, have need encountered a brown recluse. I would not (and do not) worry.........

Old 09-18-2015, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,368 times
Hmm. I wonder how observant you really are. We lived in both Northern Vt. and NH for 9 years. Was bitten by a Copperhead in Norwich VT. and learned never to roll a dead log over from up close. Had all kinds of spiders too. No alligators, but bears often and several varieties of "wild" cats. Heck the state bird of NH is the black fly!
Yes we have some of the nasty creatures down here, just like you do up north. You learn how to live with them and without them. Monthly bug control is the easiest and wisest. And don't forget termites! You'll need and want an active anti-termite plan (banks will require them if you have a mortgage). Best part, the termite companies also have general bug plans they can do at the same time.
Oh, we moved down here in '83, would change it for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area