Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 25,087 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move from Upstate NY to Myrtle Beach SC. We have 2 children 10 & 7, so one will be in middle school and the other in elementary school. We have vacationed in Myrtle Beach and loved it. We've looked at Carolina Forest for a spot to live. Any suggestions I know there are many developments inside Carolina Forest is there one better, cheaper, safer than another? I have heard mixed things about the Carolina Forest schools any suggestions on those would also be great. Is the Carolina Forest community a safe place to raise kids? My kids are active in sports is there any sports available? We plan on moving sometime between June/July. Is there a better time to move down there or is it all the same? Also, my daughter is worried about hurricanes if you can give me any info on that if we live in Carolina Forest that would be great. I have done some research, but any information would help. Is there jobs around this area? My husband is a mechanic and also has a CDL license. I have job experience in the medical field as a secretary, banking experience, & sale experience.

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
There are many here that will have better information regarding Carolina Forest than I could provide. However, I highly recommend that you & your husband secure employment before you make the plunge. I see many adverstisement for jobs for trucking but they seem to require alot of travelling. The job market has become tight around the Grand Strand. Not that there isn't work, but it is more difficult.
Here are a few links for employment:

Myrtle Beach Area job search and jobs posting. Find a high quality employee. Find the perfect job.
Myrtle Beach Employment | Sun News
myrtle beach all jobs classifieds - craigslist

Good luck! We made the move from LI 2 years ago & it was a good choice for us, hope you have the same experience. No Snow!!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 25,087 times
Thanks for the links.. I hope it's a good move. I'm looking forward to No Snow

Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
If you do some research of past threads on here about Carolina Forest I think it will probably be a good spot for you. Some of the sub-divisions in there are more expensive then others but the whole area is nice. I don't think any of them are dangerous areas but you can contact Myrtle Beach police for crime stats. City of Myrtle Beach - Welcome to Myrtle Beach

If you are looking to rent there, I don't know which sub-divsions would be less expensive. If you are looking to buy, then Southgate & Avalon are probably two of the least expensive. You may also want to consider across 501 on West Perry. Most of the houses are new, they are inexpensive, good location but they don't have the pool club. They also don't have the POA per month.

baylovers already gave you the same links I would give for jobs. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom from Upstate NY View Post
................. I have done some research, but any information would help. Is there jobs around this area? My husband is a mechanic and also has a CDL license. I have job experience in the medical field as a secretary, banking experience, & sale experience.

Thanks in Advance
Unemployment is at >6%.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:14 PM

245 posts, read 761,801 times
iSNT THERE TWO DIFFERENT ELE. in Carolins Forrest?I would keep that in mind when looking.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:55 AM

37 posts, read 169,163 times
MB is great to live. SC public school aren't the greatest. But Mb has a few private schools. And I don't think MB public education is as poor as other parts of sc. But the kid will love minor league games, and various other activities

Old 01-28-2009, 05:20 PM

25 posts, read 52,641 times
Me, My husband, & Stepdaughter live in Carolina Forest. We are from up North I am originally from NY but we have lived in MA for the past 10 years. I personal do not like the Carolina Forest Middle School and since we live in Bellegrove She has to go to Myrtle Beach High for high school. From what I heard so does The Farms too. She is currently learning the same stuff she learned up north!!! Once our lease is up we are moving to Murrells Inlet area. I here St James is one of the best schools in the area. As far as a job I speak from experience its hard alot of people dont make it and alot of people from up North move back up North. I am a Insurance agent I took a $7 pay cut and so did my husband. $10hr is the magic number everywhere if you are looking for office work. Employers knowing that alot do not survive they are hesitant to hire a northerner afraid we are not going to be around for long. Its been tough but we are making it. I dont want to discourage you but I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Well hopefully this helps

Old 05-16-2009, 11:04 AM

14 posts, read 68,940 times
Default Murrells Inlet or Myrtle Beach

Just curious ... why would you move to Murrells Inlet vs Myrtle Beach ? I, myself, am torn. We live in NY about an hour from the city. We both hate the winters and are planning on moving as soon as my husband can retire (he's with FDNY). We were originally looking at North Carolina but the taxes are way cheaper in SC. We then found Carolina Forest which looked perfect .. however .. I am now leaning towards Murrells Inlet as it may be a little more residential. Any info would be helpful! We have two children ages 7 and 9 who will be in the public schools there. We are looking for a community with things to do however not too touristy ! (we don't need the traffic)

Thank you !

Old 05-16-2009, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 68,940 times
Default Question for Mom from Upstate NY

Mom from Upstate NY ---did you find a place yet ? Did you choose a community in Carolina Forest ? Just curious ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area