Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:20 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,647,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Chuckle, chuckle..... It hurts so bad when I bite my tongue!
I'll bite mine too. But then again-maybe not. Being from Dutchess County-we call LI, NYC and Westchester people who move here-Citidiots. They want us to change everything to live like they did from where they came from. They are like locusts-they move in-overpopulate it-cause higher taxes- they ruin the area-then leave to ruin somewhere else. Seems I've seen quite a bit of it in MB. The NYC/NJ area were big time in relocating there back a few years ago-now the shine has worn off for them and they all long for home. I for one, will be happy when we finally get there. The worst offenders will have come back to NY and left the area.

Maybe I sound harsh-but after running into some of these people when down there on vacations and the attitudes-it's no wonder that locals aren't impressed with the NYC/NJ people. Had a group from NJ INSIST on taking pic in a crowded restaurant foyer-over sprayed teased haired woman dripping in her gold and 3 inch painted nails-shoved my then 3 year old into the wall because she was in "her way" of taking the shot. Mamma bear came out in me like NO tomorrow. I gave her a tongue lashing. Called me hillbilly trash-isn't that funny-considering I live NORTH of NJ! But if that's the caliber that's moving out-good-the place doesn't need them! Sorry PawleysDude-I had to say something.

We've been visiting the area for 12 years-but being my family is originally from NC/VA-for 44 years we've been coming back to visit-growing up-I used to live in the summers at the family homes in NC-Boone-Smithfield-High Point-VA-Danville. So I know nothing other than the slower way of living. Add to-when we are there-we don't do the touristy thing-we shop in local stores, eat where the locals do-we are camping when we are there. In fact I prefer it being like I am living there-talk to the local people and have made some good friends over the years of going down. The area has changed a LOT since we started going down-but when our time comes to relocate-we'll be the nicest neighbors you all have ever met from up North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Oh come on PD! Don't hold back. I could use something entertaining to read on this boring, rainy day.
Nah, it's the new, kinder, gentler me. Still...

Gotta wonder how a NYer who can't get along with other NYers is gonna deal with us Southern rednecks. 'Course, she mentioned Carolina Forest so the odds are pretty good she won't run into any Southerners. First posting I've seen in awhile from somebody movin' to SC for our education system.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:48 AM

13 posts, read 21,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethelhasa View Post
We moved from Long Island to the Syracuse area, OMG what a culture shock-I would live anywhere but here, the schools are HORRIBLE, the people do not like us DOWNSTATERS! I am looking into MB myself,have friends from LI that are now in Carolina Forest ans Love it!
As a former Central New Yorker, I am curious as to what specific schools are "horrible". I have found that most schools here are much worse than Central New York schools, except for the Syracuse City Schools.

As far as your friends enjoying Carolina Forest, that is wonderful. Just be warned, many natives, locals and some transplants also do not like NYers (just like upstaters) for the same reasons CampingMom mentioned. NYers want things to change to be just like the area they left. They have the big city mentality which means, push, shove, be rude and give it to me now. This goes against the basic principals of the people of this area. We all moved here because we liked the area, the weather and the people. When moving here you need to accept all of it and not expect it to change to suit you. I have personally heard NYers tell locals "what's wrong with you people....". If you decide to move here, in order to get along and enjoy the area you need to cherish it just as it is.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:53 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
I'll bite mine too. But then again-maybe not.
LOL!! You Go, Momma bear! Wish I'd been in that restaurant, sounds truly like a "kodak minute". When y'all move down here, I hope you'll be my friend, 'cause I sure don't want you for an enemy!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:58 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,642 times
Default Ha!

Quote:
LOL!! You Go, Momma bear! Wish I'd been in that restaurant, sounds truly like a "kodak minute". When y'all move down here, I hope you'll be my friend, 'cause I sure don't want you for an enemy!
Sounds more like a "kodiak" minute!

Kodiak Bear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,332 times
Quote:
First posting I've seen in awhile from somebody movin' to SC for our education system.
Agreed. No one in their right mind would think that the SC school system is worth MOVING TO.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,967 times
LOL @ "kodiak" minute!

Quote:
Lovethelhasa wrote: We moved from Long Island to the Syracuse area, OMG what a culture shock-I would live anywhere but here, the schools are HORRIBLE, the people do not like us DOWNSTATERS! I am looking into MB myself,have friends from LI that are now in Carolina Forest ans Love it!
Quote:
PawleysDude wrote: First posting I've seen in awhile from somebody movin' to SC for our education system.
Quote:
Pburgess68 wrote: Agreed. No one in their right mind would think that the SC school system is worth MOVING TO.
Housing prices, yes ... weather, yes .... beach, yes .... warm and friendly people, yes .... schools, not so much. I don't have any first hand experience with the school system yet, but a quick search on City Data would reveal that the schools would be in the cons column for most, not the pros. Although, as scary of a thought as it may be, they are better than where I came from. If your criteria for finding a new place to live is schools, ya better look elsewhere.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,788 times
Quote:
Pburgess68 wrote: Agreed. No one in their right mind would think that the SC school system is worth MOVING TO.

I totally agree with this and also remember there are no jobs here!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,647,763 times
Quote:
Well when next we head down-we should meet up for a IRL meeting. You'll see that I am very mellow and only Momma Bear comes out when my kids are threatened.

But really-northerners really need to chill and take time to relax. Stop trying to make the area into "little NY-NJ". It's not. You adapt-not the people that live there to your needs. I am moving to get away from the rush rush, gotta have it yesterday mentality. I don't want or have to keep up with the Jones. I want simple, uncomplicated and slower. We've had enough of that move here to Upstate NY and I've had it with it all the NYC/Westchester/LI/NJ transplants that have taken over our area. And the attitudes-neighborly isn't in their vocabulary at all.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,332 times
CampingMom, I'm sorry, but when it comes to education, I refuse to adapt and accept something so standard to the basic needs of children. You definitely take things for granted when you live up north. Like lots of taxes. And good education.

Education, just like our children, should never be messed with. You'll see what I mean if and when you get here. You will wonder where all the money goes (not that it's much)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area