Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Well here in NYS-we study the Native American's until they are blue in the face with it. Two whole school years are devoted to it. And even though I am Lakota Sioux-it's way over done.

My point was that we are neglecting our nations history to focus on other nations and not making the grade with what they are learning. My kids didn't know about the wild west-or the building of the transcontinental rail road. Yet they could tell you all about Egypt. We need to know our own nation's history-it's sad when I've friends from foreign country's who know more about it than our students.

I am not even sure we'll have to deal with schools by the time we get there. So we may just becoming to bring out business to the area and enjoy the area instead.
Oh, I remember those days! But that was strictly elementary school. This nation was founded on the backs of the native Americans, so it is fitting they spend some time on it. In middle school and first 2 years of HS I learned about all of the countries outside of the US. The last 2 years were spent concentrating on things I WANTED to learn or expand on, using my electives.

I don't think any high student could have a decent conversation with an adult just slightly older than they are, if they are from the North, or in any of the other 40 states that have a better education. My oldest, now almost 21, was in love with the History Channel growing up and he's almost impossible to have a convo with...he just knows way too much!! My recently graduated daughter watches that as well as the Military Channel. At least they can get some education via tv, if they aren't getting it in school.

I am almost worried to see what my son will be learning in 10th grade this year. Hopefully it will be something other than southern history, since that's all he's learned for the last few years. If not, the school district will definitely be getting a letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Well that's sad news. The public schools only get 26.9% of each dollar?!

HORRY $13,383,035.88

Most of the $$ goes to higher education, while a much smaller portion goes to K-12. Heck they even fund ETV with the money. At least they used various year's surplusses to fix the busses.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,967 times
I will recuse myself from commenting on some content in the link as I already used up the quota I allow myself for negativity (for the year ) last night. I will say that I was surprised that it was as high as 26.9. I thought it would have been lower.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Exceeded your negativity quota, neece? I've got an unlimited budget; you're welcome to some of mine anytime.

For anyone who has any confusion at all where schools rank in importance with our state "leaders", there's an excellent editorial (http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/08/19/1644167/school-choices.html - broken link) in this morning's Sun News: "In our governor's view, public education is not a core government service..."

The sole education-related focus of our current and likely next governor is to implement a voucher program, diverting tax revenue from public to private schools. As usual, another great idea to help our affluent class, and another nail in the coffin of SC public schools.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Exceeded your negativity quota, neece? I've got an unlimited budget; you're welcome to some of mine anytime.
That's mighty kind of you PD. Come November I just might need to take you up on that offer.

That is a very good editorial, not one you would normally see in the Sun. I hope it is read by many! I find it hard to believe that Sheheen hasn't been able to gain more ground on this issue alone. I am afraid Haley will just end up being Sanford in drag.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 AM

Haley had a press conference that was shown on WMBF last night. Sure didn't seem like she was against education in the least, just the opposite.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Haley had a press conference that was shown on WMBF last night. Sure didn't seem like she was against education in the least, just the opposite.
I didn't see the press conference only read the news about it so maybe I missed something. I certainly didn't read anything that would lead me to believe she would improve the SC School system in anyway.

From what I read she never mentioned generating any additional money, except for reducing SC Department of Education but I didn't see anything showing how she planned on doing that. To me it is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Maybe I am missing something.

Vouchers, as PD mentioned, are just another way to give to the rich and take from the poor. Add that to her plan for performance based teacher pay and our children in the poorest school districts don't stand a chance. These children, as I mentioned before, are the ones most effected by lack of funding and now Haley wants to make it unattractive for any teacher to even want to teach there. Performance based means test score based, plain and simple. These districts are already having difficultly in this area because they have more challenges to deal with then Johnny who comes home to his middle income home with mom and dad sitting at the dinner table with him. Performance based teachers pay will penalize any teacher for taking on this challenge.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Yeah, I saw it. Unfortunately, she failed the politician litmus test - her lips were moving, so she was lying.

Haley said she would sign a "school choice" bill if it passes. That will be twisted into a school voucher bill after the election. She was one of its strongest proponents last year, but she's smart enough to know it is a contentious issue. When Karen Floyd (currently head of SC's Republican party) was defeated in the Supt of Education election, the voucher issue was her downfall.

Haley also said that SC needs to send more education dollars to poorer areas to shore up their schools. Last year, she voted against an amendment that would have done exactly that. That amendment failed by one vote.

BTW, the private school where she was speaking is funded by one of her major campaign contributors. Seemed like a strange place to be holding a news conference promoting public schools.

Politicians and their words....

Last edited by PawleysDude; 08-20-2010 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: An oops

Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 AM

7 posts, read 10,253 times
I don't know what we spend per-child here, but in my upstate NY town my property taxes are 3500 a year (before it went up 770$ last year in school taxes ALONE) and we have a huge dropout rate, awful schools with a lot of people who don't advance beyond an HS degree. Huge tax, no educational payoff on the citizens. I'm pretty sure moving down there will at least be comparable if not better school-wise. Plus, you can (and should!) supplement education at home, right?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by registerednuisance View Post
I'm pretty sure moving down there will at least be comparable if not better school-wise.
Nope. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area