Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times

Advertisements

My partner likes to eat at Chain Restaurants and I like to eat at local favorite eateries. The last time we was at MB I ended up choosing a dive (should have known if I smell fish RUN)

In case I can convince them to trust me again what restaurants would you recommend near the Spring Maid Resort in March?

Does MB post restaurant sanitation scores on the web?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 09:27 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,685,835 times
Try this site.
http://www.myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.com/2007inspectionarchive/nov9152007.html (broken link)

Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,879,222 times
If you travel down to Broadway at the Beach you will find many chain-type restaurants like Margaritaville, Key West, Liberty Steak House etc and will not go wrong. I prefer some of the local spots as opposed to the chains too.

On 21 Ave N btween Kings Hwy & Ocean Blvd is the River city Cafe... inexpensive, very casual hamburger/chicken joint (there actually a few of them around the Grand Strand). One of these peanut shells on tnhe floor places.

I forget the names of the restaurants next to River City, but they are not too bad either. The bagel place across the street near Studebaker's is very good and you have a Starbuck's across from the Breakers on Ocean Blvd.

Italian Deli, Tofino's on Farrow Pkwy in the AF Base. But I would recommend a trip to Murrells Inlet for sea food. There many good restaurants down there.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 PM

882 posts, read 3,539,511 times
Damons.

Good food, great views..

Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,697,346 times
For a good "local" hangout, try the Southside Grill. If you head south from Springmaid along Business 17 you'll pass three campgrounds on your left. There's a major intersection at Route 544. Continue south and watch for the Surfside Beach Post Office in a little plaza on your right. There's an Arby's either right before or right after.

Directly across 17 from the Post Office (so on your left heading south) is a strip mall with various storefronts. Nestled in there you'll see the Southside Grill. It doesn't look like much but the food is delicious. It's owned by some Pittsburgh, PA transplants and is decorated as such. You can get hamburgers, seafood, pierogies, and much more - and to top it all off when you're finished - homemade pie made by Mimi, the owner herself (who may just come out to your table to see how you're doing with your meal).

You may want to check this out ahead of time. They're only open at suppertime (4:00 p.m. to ?) and I think they're closed on Tuesdays and maybe one or two other days. It's definitely worth it, though, for good home-cooked food and a pleasant atmosphere.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Try this site.
http://www.myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.com/2007inspectionarchive/nov9152007.html (broken link)
Thanks Ill spread sheet it since I dont know if Spring Maid provides free wifi and that helps me know who to definite avoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
If you travel down to Broadway at the Beach you will find many chain-type restaurants like Margaritaville, Key West, Liberty Steak House etc and will not go wrong. I prefer some of the local spots as opposed to the chains too.

On 21 Ave N btween Kings Hwy & Ocean Blvd is the River city Cafe... inexpensive, very casual hamburger/chicken joint (there actually a few of them around the Grand Strand). One of these peanut shells on tnhe floor places.

I forget the names of the restaurants next to River City, but they are not too bad either. The bagel place across the street near Studebaker's is very good and you have a Starbuck's across from the Breakers on Ocean Blvd.

Italian Deli, Tofino's on Farrow Pkwy in the AF Base. But I would recommend a trip to Murrells Inlet for sea food. There many good restaurants down there.
Thanks Ill look those up but generally I am trying to stay away from that Broadway end due to distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
Damons.

Good food, great views..
Thank you I will google it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
For a good "local" hangout, try the Southside Grill. If you head south from Springmaid along Business 17 you'll pass three campgrounds on your left. There's a major intersection at Route 544. Continue south and watch for the Surfside Beach Post Office in a little plaza on your right. There's an Arby's either right before or right after.

Directly across 17 from the Post Office (so on your left heading south) is a strip mall with various storefronts. Nestled in there you'll see the Southside Grill. It doesn't look like much but the food is delicious. It's owned by some Pittsburgh, PA transplants and is decorated as such. You can get hamburgers, seafood, pierogies, and much more - and to top it all off when you're finished - homemade pie made by Mimi, the owner herself (who may just come out to your table to see how you're doing with your meal).

You may want to check this out ahead of time. They're only open at suppertime (4:00 p.m. to ?) and I think they're closed on Tuesdays and maybe one or two other days. It's definitely worth it, though, for good home-cooked food and a pleasant atmosphere.
I definite can tell you are a Southern Belle. It been awhile since I have had a good "Supper" Definite will print out your suggestions except Pieorgies but then again I only had the freezer kind. I remember driving south of S. M resort last time so I got a base idea of where you are talking about. Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 05:31 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,682,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
Damons.

Good food, great views..
I second this..........you will be close to Damons
Good food, great views, on the ocean.......love it there.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:19 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,976,991 times
Sunny ... the Crown Reef is next door to Springmaid and they have a good breakfast menu inside at the Crown Cafe ... you don't have to drive just walk over there. All breakfast selections are served with either grits or hash browns (just in case one is not a grits person!)
Crown Reef

A couple of blocks from Springmaid on N. Kings is K & W Cafeteria ... they have good homecooking and a large selection of everything. K&W

Across the road from K&W you will find J Edwards. They have great food and use to have an all male waitstaff that was real real easy on the eyes. But alas ... discrimination reared it's head and they have a mixed waitstaff now! It's best to make reservations and they do have good early bird special prices. J Edwards

Going South on Kings Hwy pass Ocean Lakes Campground on to Garden City you will find JD's Pig and Chicken 3010 S. Kings Hwy (Hwy 17) it's across the road from Maze Mania. It's not much to look at but don't let the looks of the place fool you the BBQ is really good.

For seafood we like Admiral's Flagship in Murrells Inlet and our very favorite is Sara J's on Atlantic Ave in Garden City. There is always a line at Sara J's but it's worth the wait.

River City Cafe in Murrells Inlet is worth a trip too ... good hamburgers, fries and onion rings ... peanuts too! River City

Springmaid has a restaurant with buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food wasn't the greatest the last time we ate there but I understand it is under new management.

The website for food establishment rating inspections: SCDHEC

Have a great trip.

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 02-05-2008 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 PM

882 posts, read 3,539,511 times
A second for J.Edwards! The wife and I did New Year's Eve dinner there a few years back..

If you want a great steak.. you HAVE to try Angelo's Steak & Pasta... It's around 25th south IIRC. Take my advice.. skip the buffett.. order from the menu and, if you like steak.. get one!

I know you also mentioned not wanting to go up towards BATB, but you may want to hit 21st Ave N. and try SOHO. Finally ate there myself the other day for lunch.. HUGE portions.. GREAT food. I had Teryaki Chicken with rice.. GOOD STUFF. Everyone, including the two videographers from Ohio liked the food!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 AM

What the average entree price at J edwards? And the staff comment lol I tip good for easy on eyes staff..hehe
Wow so many great responses and ones I can deal with lol. I am grateful for breakfast recommindations that will help me in the mornings. I have had Sprigmiad Breakfast and it was decent.

On these seafood restaurants are they fish camps or organize plate (I hope you know what I mean) What is average price of entree there?

ooo SOHO I have been to the one in Uptown Charlotte and it was a good meal at great price

Thanks for recommindation on Pigs n Chicken but I grew up in Leington NC (bbq capital) so I am real picky about my BBQ and trying to understand the whole mustard thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area