Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,719,952 times

Advertisements

Thanks Seabass!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Mama Rue's has apparently developed a loyal crowd. We had lunch there a couple times and the food was good, but it just never clicked for us. As I recall, one of the regulars on here really liked it, but she's been keeping a low profile on the forum for too long. We've never been there at nite for their music. If you try any of 'em, we expect a full report.
Really? No clicking? As you know PD I loved Mama Rue's. I even came on CD after eating there and wrote my amateur review Mama Rue's ... Dang, we usually see eye-to-eye

Busydesk, I haven't been to the other places, but I would recommend Mama Rue's!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM

96 posts, read 220,597 times
Mamma RUE'S

Very light crowd tonight but a friendly bunch. The menu is a little thin as they said they are in the processes of redoing it but we had no problem finding enough items for our liking.George Davis was playing tonight and sounds wonderful. It was a very enjoyable evening with good food. With the thin menu I would consider it a little more than bar food but not a destination for a large well rounded meal. Like I said and was told the menu is evolving and Mamma Rue even stopped by our table to chat about the changes. She considers the menu roadhouse with Jamaican items. I think if I was looking for a large sit down meal I would go with other places. If I was looking for a very good simpler meal in real
neat place ,nice people and great music it's a cant miss. We will be sure to got back. I to recommend going on a night with live music.

Last edited by Seabass11; 01-16-2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Thank you so much! It sounds like a good alternative to PIT, which we love but sometimes its too full and too long a wait. is there a way to find out when there will be live music?- website calendar or something?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,625 times
Busydesk, here is a link to Mama Rue's. They also have a facebook page if you are on there.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 PM

Thanks. I am not really good at remembering to check all those places as I don't use them. Still a dinosaur, I guess.
Thanks for the help

Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM

96 posts, read 220,597 times
We hit Lumpys tonight for dinner. A vey light crowd at 6:30 and we were told that's it's mostly a later bar crowd. The place is very clean and nice looking. Lumpy and the waitstaff/ bar tender were very friendly and made us feel welcomed.The menu is not very large but the food was good. iMHO it's another place I probably would not choose to go for a large dinner but another can't miss to get a good meal while listening to live music . The guys look like they are a blast to sit and hang with. We were told Thursday is karaoke and live bands on Friday and Sat.
Well we hit all 3 places and had a great time. All 3 were very clean and very friendly with great service. Even though I would not consider them a goto for big dinner meals I will be going back to all 3. I am really looking forward to sitting out at Mamma Rues back deck this summer.
A suggestion ..... We have had some nice meals at the island cafe and deli.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:33 AM

I'm BAAACK!
We're headed down this weekend and I just wanted to bump this up as I forgot to come back with our take on Lumpy's.
It is certainly a clean restaurant, but for us it felt a little awkward to have 2 tables with cloths and a bar and that's all. Almost as if they have yet to decide if its going to be a bar or a restaurant. We were looking for a regular dinner, and I agree with seabass that its probably more of a bar food/ light meal place ( another reason that the fancy tablesets seemed out of place- the menu doesn't support that 'upscale' feel they seemed to be trying to create)
Not trying to disrespect Seabass here, but we were not impressed with our visit at all. I think its just not our kind of place. For one thing, at 7 on Friday we were the only patrons aside from the obvious "good ol' boys club" that are apparently either relatives or friends of the owner; that isn't a problem in and of itself, but those were the filthiest adult mouths older than 20 years that I have heard in a long time, and even though the bartender was trying to get them to watch the language the ( I assume) owner was right in there fueling the fire. I'm no prude, but I was the only female in the room and a little respect would have been appreciated! ( soap would have been an idea, too!). Unfortunately we had already ordered before the language got really out of hand, or we would have left.

Food was okay, but we did not see it as being special in any way. Though they were willing to accomodate a request fro grilled rather than fried which was nice.

Perhaps my perception was spoiled by my discomfort. Or maybe the owner-guy's penchant for sitting on the counter and cooler behind the bar put me off. Or maybe I was just disenchanted by the whole set up....anyway I would say that its not a place that we would go back to.

In fairness though, I think if one were just looking for a place to hang out with a bunch of locals it might fit their bill. And perhaps things would have been different if there had been other patrons or music or something going on to distract those potty mouths from their chatter.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,978 times
Default Tonight 2/2/13 at Mama Rues........

Sista Otis often plays at Mama Rue's. She's going to be there tonight. I saw this post on her facebook page and thought that people might like to attend this show, possibly be an extra on an Indie film and enjoy a good meal. This is not an ad. Just sharing something that might be fun for some. Happy Groundhog Day!

Here's her website:

Sista Otis

Here's her facebook post:

Sista Otis

Come down to my show tonight and be a MOVIE STAR!!! Sheik Ster, will be shooting me for a cameo in his indie film and we need extras. We'er all meeting early at Mama Rues at 6:30 for THE MOST AMAZING dinner on the beach and then my show starts at 7:30. This is one of my favorite lil' juke joints to play, all nestled back in the woods.
Mama Rue's 9737 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island, SC
7;30 PM Dinner and a show yo!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Hi all.
We just got back from a visit in PI and I wanted to put these down before I forgot. We had several days to work with this time and here is our list of visits with short reviews.
Capt. John's- right next to My Sister's Books, Seabass so now I know where that is...looks great. Back to the Capt.- we enjoyed our meal very much. Clean restaurant, friendly servers and looks like a regular group for the bar as well. It was a bit more expensive than expected, but not unreasonable. Cocktails were solid, not watered as in some places we've been. Would definitely go back.
LaPlaya- agree with others that this is a great place. We went for lunch and were amazed at how quickly our food came out. Good prices, good drinks, great service . Definitely would return
Groucho's Deli- great local deli; good sandwiches, priced a tad high we thought, and not very fast in preparation, but we love the community connection with this place and would definitely go back. I liked that they provide a games area for families and support local artisits by exhibiting their works for sale in the restaurant.
Drunken Jack's- didn't realize that Russells is still closed so tried this place. No complaints- food was good ( just had appetizers as we were still full from LaPlaya) drinks good and we ate in the bar and enjoyed it. Would definitley go back.
Island Bar and Grille- stumbled onto this when we missed Mama Rues ( she's closed Sunday). Definitely more sports bar than anything, but we did like the outdoor seating area and feel in the summer that has potential. Lots of locals who are obviously regulars, but maybe on the younger side ( say around mid-20 to mid- 30 yr olds). We enjoyed our food, this is a bar food place for sure- but its a sports bar so that's expected. We WERE surprised that smoking is allowed throughout the building as we thought that smoking was no longer allowed in restaurants anywhere, but we sat by a window and got by. Might go back to sit outside, but not a place for folks "bothered" by cigarette smoke.
By the way, if anyone has need for lodging, we have been getting really good rates at the golf villas at Pawley's Plantation. Rates fluctuate, of course, but we've been getting a 1 BR condo with king bed, full kitchen, nicely decorated living/dining area and screened porch for $79-$89/night...that meets or beats the "local family" rate at the Hampton where we had been staying, and we get MUCH more space. Its possible to get breakfast ( made to order) included if desired...its not much more, and sometimes actually less expensive to include breakfast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area