Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 01:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Default Welcome to Myrtle Manor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
from what you've seen?
Pretty soon, you'll be able to judge for yourself.

New TLC Reality Show: Welcome to Myrtle Manor - "Think Here Comes Honey Boo Boo meets Melrose Place.”
Good grief.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,870 times
I was praying that you were just joking.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM

312 posts, read 732,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
I am glad you said it, honey. I am the daughter of a beer drinkin' former mill worker who came as a kid. I'm now a wine drinking sushi lovin' adult. (Props to King Kong Sushi) I'm gonna keep it real. It is quite rednecky for those who live here. If you were staying a month or two that would be different. But the permanent resident are crispy fried country, baby. White and black. I'm not hating because this is my home as much as the North is but I've chatted with many a lady, white and black, who's lamented the lack of social scene here and great guys here. They get married so young there's not much to choose from. All of my friends date in NC or down in Charleston. I honestly would have recommended you move to Charleston where you get a better balance of country and the urbane. Good luck hon!
I thank you for your honesty!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM

312 posts, read 732,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
They don't call it the "Redneck Riviera" for nothing, so in short...Yes. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but the whole redneck thing is definitely part of the culture there. My God, a Case pocket knife is called a "Horry County Passport"...I mean....How could you deny the redneck factor? I once had a sales rep for a smokeless tobacco company approach me at a Kangaroo on highway 17, and insist that I accept a free roll of snuff...Even though I don't chew it.
Yes! Enough said...

Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
from what you've seen?
No, not at all. I've visited here, and now live here, for over 11 years. Its easy to tell who has intentions of moving this way. Many are coming down to Myrtle Beach to buy a home, and you can tell by the various plates in places like Home Depot or Lowes. ( not tourist stores)
I'd say the plates go like this in quanity:
1. New York
2. Pennsylvania ( mostly western Pa.)
3. New Hampshire and Vermont ( tie)
4 .Michigan
5 .West Virginia/Virginia
6. Canada ( most likely snowbirds)

So your neighbors may be the same you left back home.
However, this is a relaxed place. That doesn't mean it is backwards or redneck. The pace is slower and much sweeter.

I have a two Michigan and a Virginia family on my street now.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
I was praying that you were just joking.
They are Ticatica, really.
There are so many NY plates here and I notice you are from NY. In that case you would be with the many who have moved here from that area.
The area has become full of northern families. I don't think that is a bad thing except sometimes I love to take advantage of the slowness and the friendly smiles of all the southerners.
Some mistake the overly friendliness as being "redneck." Its easy to fall in love with the southern ways.
There is a charm in all of that. Its not backward or uncultured, rather I like to call it... soft and enchanting.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 AM

20 posts, read 35,454 times
Yeah, you could say its a little redneck-like here.

Is it terrible? No. Honestly most of the "rednecks" you see out around shopping on the weekends are down from Conway, Loris, Green Sea and Georgetown for their weekend getaways.

Myrtle Beach proper isn't bad- but we don't have an awful lot socially and economically to offer that brings in the high rollers like Charleston does, for instance.

Its much more lower to middle class here, which brings with it the wife beater T's and white tube sock people presence to the retail stores and eateries when you are out and about.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 AM

23 posts, read 39,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Like other posters said, there's different versions of rednecks. Yes, there's plenty of them around. Mudbogging? Yep, you'll find it. As for the other things you mentioned, I have seen everything you were asking about. There's only so much golf you can do before you HAVE to branch out into other things. Golf. Shop. Golf. Shop....you get the drift. It is not really a locals friendly area. Eventually they will figure this out and start catering to the locals on the off season. You won't see too much of that Honey Boo Boo garbage going on here, tho. Not to that extreme, unless it's in the backwoods.

Mudbogging?? Woo Hoo! Point me in that direction

Old 04-02-2013, 01:10 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,358 times
To get your question answered I think it would be best if you were to ask a local in person. Ask the first big guy you see in a truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area