Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,677 times

Advertisements

Hey TNKY - Thanks for waiting for me to put my bathing suit on...

As CarolinaWoman points out, there are many definitions of redneck. When MB began as a tourism destination, it served folks living within driving distance. These were primarily SC and NC families of farmers and millworkers, and we came down here for the simple pleasure of the beach and good fried seafood. Designer handbags and scuba diving were not really on the agenda. We were thrilled by the arcades, amusement parks, the games of chance, and all the other things that many of today's visitors and residents consider trashy. We were probably rednecks because we spent too much time working and playing in the sun, but we didn't waste time worrying about it. Some of us choose to continue wearing that tag proudly. The redneck image of MB continues to be encouraged by Chasn, which rightly considers itself a more refined area. A few years ago, a Chasn writer published "Redneck Riviera", a novel about MB, briefly re-stirring the issue between the two cities.

Much has changed around here. MB is struggling with whether it can be both a tourist town and a retirement mecca (see: bike weeks in MB). We have torn down the Pavilion and built up Market Commons, filling it with designer handbags. Beach cottages in Windy Hill have lost their attraction, replaced by McMansions in Grande Dunes. (I never figured out why "Grand" needed an "e" added to it.) Beer drinking millworker vacationers are being replaced by the wine and sushi set. Natural wetlands are being replaced by more dress boutiques and cookie-cutter retirement communities. Somewhere, I hope room is left to preserve a little of MB's redneck history, but I don't expect it to happen. God help us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,542,575 times
Redneck definition? Hard to nail down. There are degrees of "redneckness". I would consider our next door neighbor Fred a redneck. He and his family live about two hours west in SC and only usually show up on the weekends. However I consider them high class rednecks.

I have never watched the show with Honey-Bo-Bo (and never will). But from the ads I would label that family unbearable rednecks!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,224 times
Eh...With the tourist it doesn't feel like it.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,774 times
Like other posters said, there's different versions of rednecks. Yes, there's plenty of them around. Mudbogging? Yep, you'll find it. As for the other things you mentioned, I have seen everything you were asking about. There's only so much golf you can do before you HAVE to branch out into other things. Golf. Shop. Golf. Shop....you get the drift. It is not really a locals friendly area. Eventually they will figure this out and start catering to the locals on the off season. You won't see too much of that Honey Boo Boo garbage going on here, tho. Not to that extreme, unless it's in the backwoods.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 PM

214 posts, read 649,663 times
I would not call it a redneck area......tacky yes, but redneck no lol

Old 01-08-2013, 10:51 AM

312 posts, read 732,620 times
Good grief....go out about 5 miles from Myrtle Beach and yes you will hear banjos..anyone who tells you otherwise are not giving you the whole picture and the truth about this area...I am not a snob or anything like that by any means and I do know the definition of red neck...being from Western Pennsylvania....but the people here give a whole new meaning to the word redneck....and I am not saying that some of them are not nice people...some are...most not...

Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM

460 posts, read 988,002 times
And here I was, thinking about getting a banjo. So much for that....

Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Good grief....go out about 5 miles from Myrtle Beach and yes you will hear banjos..anyone who tells you otherwise are not giving you the whole picture and the truth about this area...I am not a snob or anything like that by any means and I do know the definition of red neck...being from Western Pennsylvania....but the people here give a whole new meaning to the word redneck....and I am not saying that some of them are not nice people...some are...most not...
What is your definition of a redneck?

I don't see where banjos are an indications of being a redneck ... perhaps that comes from the movie "Deliverance." Burl Ives, Steve Martin, Taylor Swift and even John Lennon played a banjo.

Thus far no one has defined redneck and I am just curious what your definition is of a redneck.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
I am glad you said it, honey. I am the daughter of a beer drinkin' former mill worker who came as a kid. I'm now a wine drinking sushi lovin' adult. (Props to King Kong Sushi) I'm gonna keep it real. It is quite rednecky for those who live here. If you were staying a month or two that would be different. But the permanent resident are crispy fried country, baby. White and black. I'm not hating because this is my home as much as the North is but I've chatted with many a lady, white and black, who's lamented the lack of social scene here and great guys here. They get married so young there's not much to choose from. All of my friends date in NC or down in Charleston. I honestly would have recommended you move to Charleston where you get a better balance of country and the urbane. Good luck hon!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,657 times
They don't call it the "Redneck Riviera" for nothing, so in short...Yes. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but the whole redneck thing is definitely part of the culture there. My God, a Case pocket knife is called a "Horry County Passport"...I mean....How could you deny the redneck factor? I once had a sales rep for a smokeless tobacco company approach me at a Kangaroo on highway 17, and insist that I accept a free roll of snuff...Even though I don't chew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area