Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,027 times

Advertisements

@ OP. Whacha got against rednecks boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Good grief....go out about 5 miles from Myrtle Beach and yes you will hear banjos..anyone who tells you otherwise are not giving you the whole picture and the truth about this area...I am not a snob or anything like that by any means and I do know the definition of red neck...being from Western Pennsylvania....but the people here give a whole new meaning to the word redneck....and I am not saying that some of them are not nice people...some are...most not...
There are no rednecks in PA, just hillbilly's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM

312 posts, read 732,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
@ OP. Whacha got against rednecks boy?

There are no rednecks in PA, just hillbilly's.
Hillbilly's are more West Virginia..but I guess close enough....

Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM

32 posts, read 68,638 times
I wouldn't say Myrtle Beach is a redneck city and I DESPISE rednecks. Sure, out on the skirts of Loris or Aynor there is more of a country feel, but I wouldn't say MB is. Trust me I'm no advocate of myrtle beach so I would tell you if I got that vibe. You'll see the occasional one in say Walmart or Home Depot, but rarely in the touristy area.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:23 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,609 times
Now, due to the fact that some people look down their noses at "Poor", "Redneck"s and Hillbilly's" and, to at least some extent, ain't welcome in myrtle beach, where do you all suggest we go for our yearly dose of "culture"? Or, are we not aloud a vacation? I guess we should we go to be with our own kind, huh.

My...My...My, how our country has changed. At one time, "Working people" were applauded, (yes, working people can be Hillbilly's and Redneck's),(with money by the way), now we are looked down upon, at least, those of us who work by the sweat of our brow and our idea of recreation is somewhat different than that of some others. I'm just not into handbags and Starbucks. After reading comments by some people on this thread, obviously, they either forgot the fifties and sixties or they didn't exist at that time.

I'm not siting in the back of the bus!

No one has defines a Redneck or a Hillbilly as of yet...heck, they may be like Bigfoot....talked about a lot but, no evidence to verify their existence.

Peace my friends

P.S. I've been coming to Myrtle Beach for over 30 years.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
...P.S. I've been coming to Myrtle Beach for over 30 years.
I hear ya', Hogs, just be glad you don't have to put up with that BS every day. The earliest pic I've been able to find of our family down here was '56 at Windy Hill, but Mom told me there were earlier trips. The place has "changed a little" since then, hasn't it.

Come on down, they ain't run all of us away yet. And yes, they ["DESPISE rednecks"] (shame on you, lady-a), even though they've never met any and ain't sure what they are. I try hard to leave Market Commons to the sushi set, and most of the BBQ around here still sucks unless you're willin' to drive inland for a ways, but if you look hard, you can still find some of the good old tourist-tacky MB that made this place so special before the second coming of Sherman's army. But if you're looking for any respect for the workin' class, don't expect it to find that down here. Most of the new MB locks itself away in gated ghettos, trying hard to avoid contact with the lowly unwashed po' folk.

P.S. - BTW, we were greeted with good news today that "Welcome to Myrtle Manor" has been renewed for a second year. That show sure has the uptown MB ladies' panties in a wad.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 05-04-2013 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Good News from Myrtle Manor

Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I hear ya', Hogs, just be glad you don't have to put up with that BS every day. The earliest pic I've been able to find of our family down here was '56 at Windy Hill, but Mom told me there were earlier trips. The place has "changed a little" since then, hasn't it.

Come on down, they ain't run all of us away yet. And yes, they ["DESPISE rednecks"] (shame on you, lady-a), even though they've never met any and ain't sure what they are. I try hard to leave Market Commons to the sushi set, and most of the BBQ around here still sucks unless you're willin' to drive inland for a ways, but if you look hard, you can still find some of the good old tourist-tacky MB that made this place so special before the second coming of Sherman's army. But if you're looking for any respect for the workin' class, don't expect it to find that down here. Most of the new MB locks itself away in gated ghettos, trying hard to avoid contact with the lowly unwashed po' folk.

P.S. - BTW, we were greeted with good news today that "Welcome to Myrtle Manor" has been renewed for a second year. That show sure has the uptown MB ladies' panties in a wad.
Yep...MB has changed a lot...I still like it. A good meal and a late evening walk on the Beach is the best.

I know a lot of people despise rednecks but, I think most people has a little redneck in them, it's just that some people has the ability to hide it better than others.

Three Pigs BBQ ain't too bad...can you recommend any more?

Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
About the only bbq I eat locally is either Prosser's in Murrells Inlet or Hog Heaven in Pawleys Island. Both of 'em offer a buffet with pretty good veggies and excellent fried chicken. If you're up for a little road trip, IMO the best around here is Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, one of Southern Living's Top 10 Pitmasters. It's the real deal and good stuff.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
About the only bbq I eat locally is either Prosser's in Murrells Inlet or Hog Heaven in Pawleys Island. Both of 'em offer a buffet with pretty good veggies and excellent fried chicken. If you're up for a little road trip, IMO the best around here is Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, one of Southern Living's Top 10 Pitmasters. It's the real deal and good stuff.
Hemingway don't look too far from MB...a small price to pay for some Good BBQ. Just added it to my list of things to do.

I have been known to smoke some butt in my time. It is definitely a learning process.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2013, 05:45 PM

40 posts, read 100,407 times
Yes

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 PM

253 posts, read 470,271 times
Dude...I so remember those days in MB and it would be nice to have the old beach back. The cookie cutter homes really bother me. I feel I have stepped into a Stepford Wives production. My God, one we saw had all mailboxes exactly at the same level and location in the yard. Name tags hung below the boxes...I told my hubby we could not live there 'cause he refused to take my name when we married. I guess if we lived in one of those neighborhoods with two signs hanging down, folks would run us out and consider us "sinners" and not really married!

But on a brighter note, at least we have the beautiful beach to sit on...just looking at it gives me great peace. January 2015 is my target date to return to my beautiful home state (not so excited politically, but that's another story!). Of course, I've been here in Texas almost 25 years...Ted Cruz, John Cornyn, creationism as a theory in schools, Rick Perry totin' guns...the list goes on and on

Quote:
Hey TNKY - Thanks for waiting for me to put my bathing suit on...

As CarolinaWoman points out, there are many definitions of redneck. When MB began as a tourism destination, it served folks living within driving distance. These were primarily SC and NC families of farmers and millworkers, and we came down here for the simple pleasure of the beach and good fried seafood. Designer handbags and scuba diving were not really on the agenda. We were thrilled by the arcades, amusement parks, the games of chance, and all the other things that many of today's visitors and residents consider trashy. We were probably rednecks because we spent too much time working and playing in the sun, but we didn't waste time worrying about it. Some of us choose to continue wearing that tag proudly. The redneck image of MB continues to be encouraged by Chasn, which rightly considers itself a more refined area. A few years ago, a Chasn writer published "Redneck Riviera", a novel about MB, briefly re-stirring the issue between the two cities.

Much has changed around here. MB is struggling with whether it can be both a tourist town and a retirement mecca (see: bike weeks in MB). We have torn down the Pavilion and built up Market Commons, filling it with designer handbags. Beach cottages in Windy Hill have lost their attraction, replaced by McMansions in Grande Dunes. (I never figured out why "Grand" needed an "e" added to it.) Beer drinking millworker vacationers are being replaced by the wine and sushi set. Natural wetlands are being replaced by more dress boutiques and cookie-cutter retirement communities. Somewhere, I hope room is left to preserve a little of MB's redneck history, but I don't expect it to happen. God help us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area