Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

We visited Myrtle Beach for the first time in May, stayed at the Holiday Sands by North 4th. My wife and I both enjoyed the laid back, beachy, working class vibe, at least that was the atmosphere around there. We didn't see anyone puttin' on the Ritz. Of course we're unaware of changes in the area.

We'll be back for two weeks in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
...My God, one we saw had all mailboxes exactly at the same level and location in the yard. Name tags hung below the boxes...
Yep, sounds a lot like our neighborhood. According to HOA bylaws, individuality is un-American and a threat to national security. I'd warn you about the political environment, but Texas is probably the only state that could prepare you for what you'll find here. It ain't purty...

Quote:
it would be nice to have the old beach back...
I doubt you'd find many of the "new locals" who would agree with you. Priorities have changed. We have many neighbors who haven't been on the beach in years, but if you took away their favorite spa it would be a catastrophic tragedy.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM

253 posts, read 470,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Yep, sounds a lot like our neighborhood. According to HOA bylaws, individuality is un-American and a threat to national security. I'd warn you about the political environment, but Texas is probably the only state that could prepare you for what you'll find here. It ain't purty...
PawleysDude...Somehow I just cannot see you in that type of neighborhood! You seem to be more of a guy who would live in one of those old, wonderful "arrogantly shabby" homes that I loved so much back in the day!
As for the politics, I so remember SC and its crazy "ledge" as the late great Molly Ivins would say. I do not expect to be moving back to even a smidgen of moderation or progressive thought! Living in Texas for almost 25 years has toughened my shell...but as a retiring political science prof, I plan to leave all of that in Texas - may not even read a newspaper!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I doubt you'd find many of the "new locals" who would agree with you. Priorities have changed. We have many neighbors who haven't been on the beach in years, but if you took away their favorite spa it would be a catastrophic tragedy.
Why in the name of heaven and earth would you live at the beach and NOT go? Amazing. Bodes well for me - perhaps I'll have it to myself early in the mornings! If my "old" skin could take it, I'd be on the beach all day, every day! Cannot wait...

Last edited by shabbycasa; 06-18-2013 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
Myrtle Beach is a sad excuse for a beach..I live in NC by way of Forida, I have never seen so many junk tourist stores, fake tattoo shops and pancake houses cramped in one crappy 1 mile strip..the restaurants, shopping and activities are mediocre at best everything has a cheap touristy vibe..do NOT every make the mistake of going to this area during the "redneck bike week" or "black bike week" I knew nothing of these and went..I have never seen so much trash and confusion in one place..the actual beaches which I heard (no one really goes for anyways) are brownish green tinted with rough broken shell sand, even in low tide there isn't much distance from entrance to water so they stay crowded with people tanning not swimming..do yourself a favor either drive a few extra hours to a Florida beach or explore the outer banks or another areas of the Carolina's

Old 07-04-2015, 09:18 AM

108 posts, read 227,334 times
A one mile strip does not adequately represent the Myrtle Beach area which stretches 60 miles from the NC border and south. There are many beautiful areas here and beautiful wide stretches of beach. Sorry you visited during bike weeks. But normally this area is a delight and why I moved here from Massachusetts for beautiful weather, beautiful beaches, beautiful golf courses, many great restaurants, low taxes, inexpensive housing and southern hospitality.
\

Old 07-04-2015, 06:28 PM

174 posts, read 257,548 times
mkaz01, thank you for your comments. As a retired couple who will be visiting the Grand Strand in a couple of weeks to find a retirement home, it is nice to hear positive things about the area. It seems like many people complain about the humidity, the bugs and the crime. And sometimes that stuff makes me a little nervous. But I want to remain positive and look for the good stuff like no more ice and snow! Many of the things you highlighted are basically the reasons for our move. Winters in MA are no picnic either, so I know you understand what I'm taking about. We're thinking about Little River, Myrtle Beach (near Market Commons) or Murrells Inlet. Would be interested in your thoughts on those three areas since you live down there.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:29 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I grew up on the Jersey shore and still own a condo here (where we are for the summer). Right after I retired in 2009 we closed on a new townhouse in Murrells Inlet. Other than being closer to family and grandchildren, there is absolutely nothing about NJ better than SC. I could, and perhaps will some day, live in Murrells Inlet full time.

I have found the heat and humidity no worse than NJ. We have not encountered any crime. I really find the bugs worse in NJ. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the winter months can be cold. No snow (besides a once a winter dusting), but it do get cold........

Old 07-05-2015, 08:30 AM

108 posts, read 227,334 times
GoldenTraveller, sent you a private message re: my thoughts on the 3 areas you are considering for your retirement home.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:31 AM

27 posts, read 48,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I grew up on the Jersey shore and still own a condo here (where we are for the summer). Right after I retired in 2009 we closed on a new townhouse in Murrells Inlet. Other than being closer to family and grandchildren, there is absolutely nothing about NJ better than SC. I could, and perhaps will some day, live in Murrells Inlet full time.

I have found the heat and humidity no worse than NJ. We have not encountered any crime. I really find the bugs worse in NJ. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the winter months can be cold. No snow (besides a once a winter dusting), but it do get cold........
This is a very good point and one thing that many people from the north aren't quite aware of. We weren't when we bought our home here 12 yrs ago. Prior to that we had only been to this area during the summer months (July & August) so when it came to buy a home I thought that there was no way we needed a fireplace here. Boy was I wrong. If anyone is buying a home down here I strongly suggest they get a fireplace. You may regret it if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area