Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM

129 posts, read 336,337 times

Advertisements

from what you've seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
I would say no. However, Horry County as a whole, you might say that.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,361 times
God I hope not, that is one of the reasons i'm moving down there to get away from the rednecks where I currently live. To me when I've been down there and I've been down there a lot, there seems to be a eclectic mix of people. I never seen any rednecks. I for sure never saw mudding, hunting, or four-wheeling. In fact the only four-wheeler I saw was on the beach and used to go back and forth between lifeguard areas. Everyone down there seems to actually have lives and things to do instead of trying to invent things to do that are totally stupid such as mudding, because they have nothing else better to do. Granted I've never lived down there but just from touring the area many times, and the area as well as the people do not strike me to be rednecks. The town seems to be kept up well and the homes seem to be the same way. I didn't see any trash or old junk in peoples yards or on porches. In fact I saw a lot of very upscale looking homes in the area. My how beautiful the Grande Dunes is!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
We have a second property in MB and love it there, so don't think I'm hating on the city when I say this, but yes, there are some pretty rednecky areas in MB. Once you get away from the areas with money, such as Grande Dunes and other upscale subdivisions, go to the older part of the city and you will see some dog patch, just like anywhere else. We were scoping it out for possible apartment properties to buy for an investment, since we are in that business here at home, and we saw some pretty rough stuff, and not all that far from places like Market Commons, surprisingly. I think MB is a city where people see what they want to see, good or bad, and a lot of the worse areas are pretty well hidden, but they're there.

One thing that I think most would agree on is that MB does attract a certain amount of the redneck tourist trade, not unlike Gatlinburg. If they didn't, who would be buying the ultra-tacky stuff that makes up part of the inventory in all those beach stores and the shops along the boardwalk, and who would be staying in those rundown motels along S. Ocean Blvd.? MB is affordable, so it attracts a more rednecky crowd than somewhere more upscale like Hilton Head.

CarolinaDreams, I bet if you had a way of finding out, MB is probably the number one vacation destination for rednecks from WV, or if not, it runs a close second to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. My dh's entire family is from down around the WV/KY border originally, and all of their friends and relatives who still live in that area seem to go to MB every year and it is their number one destination. It's like THE place to go for people in their area.

Last edited by canudigit; 01-06-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,548 times
See, I wouldn't have thought so until one day I walked by Pawley's Dude's place and saw him...well, judge for yourself.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
LOL, he looks exactly like I thought he would!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Well it's a good thing i'm not buying in a trashy area than canudigit. For people in WV it may be the place to go but the good news is the WV trash ends up going back where they came from within a week. Besides living and vacationing are two very separate things. As long as I live in a more upscale area the rednecks shouldn't be a issue. Besides I don't plan to mingle much with the rednecks, just plan to hopefully meet local people like myself. I know when I was putting together my wedding I ended up meeting a lot of people like myself who had a similar mindset. The woman who did my hair for the wedding was exactly like me, and I haven't met that many people who think and act like myself. In fact after the move i'm going to that place to get my hair done! I was actually pretty pleased with the locals I met, they seemed to have lives and really get out and enjoy life they had interests and hobbies. I actually can't wait to move and see who else I end up meeting that's the thing with MB, you end up meeting people from all over and in some cases other countries. You don't just meet billy bob down the street who everyone else knows and you grew up with. You get a mix of people, yeah i guess like anywhere there will be some redneck trash but not everyone will be that way! There will actually be people like myself that hold similar interests, and like to do similar things. Getting that where I currently live...lol it isn't going to happen. I can't wait to move! In fact i'm sure there will be a ton of people like myself who has a interest in sailing, the beach, the finer things in life such as designer handbags, or maybe meet people who love to parasail or scuba dive. I don't plan to live in any of the trashy areas, granted I never did see any. All the coastal homes was beautiful, and I even traveled down to Huntington beach state park for our day after trash the dress photos. Every thing just seems to well taken care and there just seems to be beauty everywhere you look. That castle is beautiful, and had I seen that place before our wedding i'd have gotten married there on the beach instead of MB state park. I'm also very excited to explore other parts of SC in particular Charleston, Columbia, and I'd love to see see Daniel Island. I have a cousin that lives there and have heard it really is breathtaking! I looked at Daniel Island as a place to move, but it doesn't seem like there is much going on, seems more small town but it did look very pretty online!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:29 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
from what you've seen?
First you need to define redneck?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Can I be honest here? Yes, there is definitely a redneck vibe. I think there are definitely worse places to live, by far, so please don't think I am slamming the area. As my husband puts it, it's like Orlando and Vegas had a baby city, Myrtle Beach. There isn't much in the way of culture here, but I knew this, and the tourists coming here aren't looking for culture! However, I live 15 minutes from the beach, not too shabby. I don't see this as our forever home, but plan to enjoy life while I am here.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
from what you've seen?
calling myrtle beach a 'city' is being generous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area