Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM

5,404 posts, read 16,015,514 times

Advertisements

I'm soooooo sorry to hear that 94.9 The Surf has gone off the air. It was my favorite station, even when I was away from the Myrtle Beach area...I'd listen online.
It will be missed by thousands who also listened in their hometowns via the internet.
Hopefully, some enterprising person will step in and get this station going again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,573 times
Do you know for a fact it is permanent this time? If so, that's a real shame. They've been struggling for several years, but it will hurt to lose them. The times, they are a changin'....

Not too many years ago, any talk of tearing down the Pavillion would have been heresy. B&C would have been ridden out of town on a rail. Unfortunately, the MB demographics have been altered to the point that the Pavillion was no longer relevant to a large majority of the residents. The newcomers simply could not relate, and that doomed the Pavillion and all the memories it held.

So, too, with the Surf. Being repeatedly selected as beach music station of the year is of little importance to people who think beach music involves Jan & Dean. The fact that NMB was the original home of beach music and the shag doesn't mean a lot to a population that tears down Studebaker's so they can have a Dollar General. Like it or not, too many locals would rather hear a Frank Sinatra imitator than the Tams or the Embers. Beach music may not be dead, but it's bleeding profusely. SOS keeps it on life support, but realistically that has gradually become an out-of-town crowd. There are not enough locals left who give a damn. If you don't have local support, it's hard to sell advertising to locals, and without that, there's no radio station. To quote one of Rick Strickland's recent beach music songs, "It was nice while it lasted", but I'm afraid the good ole days are long gone around here. And that's sad...

Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM

66 posts, read 184,332 times
Soooo Sorry to here of this, they will be missed ! ! ! !

Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM

From what I understand, the owner of the station has died....hopefully, someone with some big $$$ will come in and restore this station to it's "Beach music" roots!

Maybe "locals" aren't as supportive as they might be, because they figure they can hear the bands "for free" anytime they want...but there are a TON of folks who travel great distances for the SOS events and special concert weeks/weekends...
It would be a shame to lose this!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 PM

62 posts, read 169,790 times
Oh, I am so sad to hear this news.....Hopefully, as the song says, "It will stand".....

Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
...but there are a TON of folks who travel great distances for the SOS events and special concert weeks/weekends... It would be a shame to lose this!
SOS and the concerts will continue with or without The Surf, at least as long as they pull in visitors. All 3 SOS events are money makers during the off-season, and our leaders down here worship fervently at the Church of the Almighty Dollar. Regardless, they are excellent events and they do a lot for our area. Still, the Surf will be missed by the beach music community. They did more than just entertain. Like many good stations, they were both a focal point and a conscience to their audience. They kept us informed, praised us, and chided us when necessary. They were family, and that will be hard to replace.

Ted Bell, one of the Surf DJ's, is moving this week to WNMB 900AM. The station does not have a beach music reputation, but they may step and try to fill a vacuum. I don't know their range.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 PM

It was real good to see the nice crowds at SOS last weekend. I do hope we have some sort of local beach music station.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Just checked the WNMB 900a.m. web page and it says that Ted Bell will be playing "the best of oldies and Carolina Beach Music". So perhaps there is hope!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Is that station (900am) online? I've been listening to Cool Beach 105.3...and they play beach music, but alot of "oldies" too...I really prefer some of the newer stuff. It's certainly better than anything I can get locally, tho!!!
If anyone knows of any other "beach music" stations that stream online, I'd LOVE to know!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,991 times
Default Very Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I'm soooooo sorry to hear that 94.9 The Surf has gone off the air. It was my favorite station, even when I was away from the Myrtle Beach area...I'd listen online.
It will be missed by thousands who also listened in their hometowns via the internet.
Hopefully, some enterprising person will step in and get this station going again!!!

I am very sad to hear about 94.9. I live in Tennessee and it was my constant connection to Myrtle Beach. I absolutely loved this station. I truly hope that someone can step in and revive this tremendous station and the beach music format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area