Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,349 times

Advertisements

I've been dying for a Trader Joe's for years, and have sent in numerous location requests. If you guys want one, it's worth trying:

traderjoes.com/contact-us/location-request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 09:12 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
The new donut place at suncrest has had a line out the door most of the morning, hopefully they keep doing well. I did not realize it was more of a build the donut in front of you shop. Cool place.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 05-21-2016 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 10:38 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
The new donut place at suncrest has had a line out the door most of the morning, hopefully they keep doing well. I did not realize it was more of a build the donut in front of you shop. Cool place.
It's a fun place with really tasty donuts, but don't do it if you're in a hurry. I love cake-style donuts, though, and they're the only offering of such in town.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:36 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,795 times
wife and her co-workers tried the new donut place, says they were all unimpressed....expensive as well....

Old 05-26-2016, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 6,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
it's not supposed to be like that. That is the only reason the line is out the door all the time.

I'm from Pittsburgh, where you can't walk down the street in any of the suburbs without finding one of their locations.

Every single location in Pittsburgh - the donuts are pre-made at the location, and whatever selection of donuts they have at the time you walk in, those are the donuts you can get. If they're out of the varieties you want, then you're not getting that kind of donut.

But the Morgantown location, for some strange reason, seems to be doing it the other way - make the donut in front of you. Which means you have to stand there and wait...and wait... and wait... while they make each donut the person is ordering.

This is a terrible way to go. It makes the wait unbearable. It takes a very long time to make their donuts because of how "specialty" they all are.

Don't get me wrong - their donuts are great (but yes, priced on high end), but I don't think long-term this strategy will work. Even the shortest of lines will be a long wait if they keep going this way.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they're operating so differently than their many Pittsburgh-area locations.

If they continue doing it this way, I will never go there. It's not worth that kind of time.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 AM

75 posts, read 118,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelouisman View Post
it's not supposed to be like that. That is the only reason the line is out the door all the time.

I'm from Pittsburgh, where you can't walk down the street in any of the suburbs without finding one of their locations.

Every single location in Pittsburgh - the donuts are pre-made at the location, and whatever selection of donuts they have at the time you walk in, those are the donuts you can get. If they're out of the varieties you want, then you're not getting that kind of donut.

But the Morgantown location, for some strange reason, seems to be doing it the other way - make the donut in front of you. Which means you have to stand there and wait...and wait... and wait... while they make each donut the person is ordering.

This is a terrible way to go. It makes the wait unbearable. It takes a very long time to make their donuts because of how "specialty" they all are.

Don't get me wrong - their donuts are great (but yes, priced on high end), but I don't think long-term this strategy will work. Even the shortest of lines will be a long wait if they keep going this way.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they're operating so differently than their many Pittsburgh-area locations.

If they continue doing it this way, I will never go there. It's not worth that kind of time.
According to the about us page on their website this is how they do it. Maybe you went to the wrong place lol

Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM

36 posts, read 51,386 times
I agree with thelouisman -- this seems an odd change of concept. The tiny store in the Strip District does very well, and it simply has "whatever's on the rack" offerings. Adding customization or made-to-order for half-sized donuts doesn't make much sense to me, if that's what they're doing.

Maybe they're trying to generate some buzz by creating the line, but the donuts are good enough to make them popular in Morgantown without a cheap trick like that. I've waited in ungodly lines for Voodoo Doughnut in Portland & Denver and the Donut Bar in San Diego, and neither one of those do made-to-order so I can only imagine what that does for wait times.

If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Last edited by DevelopEER; 05-26-2016 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 09:35 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevelopEER View Post
I agree with thelouisman -- this seems an odd change of concept. The tiny store in the Strip District does very well, and it simply has "whatever's on the rack" offerings. Adding customization or made-to-order for half-sized donuts doesn't make much sense to me, if that's what they're doing.

Maybe they're trying to generate some buzz by creating the line, but the donuts are good enough to make them popular in Morgantown without a cheap trick like that. I've waited in ungodly lines for Voodoo Doughnut in Portland & Denver and the Donut Bar in San Diego, and neither one of those do made-to-order so I can only imagine what that does for wait times.

If it aint' broke don't fix it?
The biggest problem is that the store setup doesn't really accommodate any sort of demand. At best, only two staffers can be making donuts at once, which really puts a limit as to how much money can be raked in over the course of an hour or day. If that amount doesn't equal rent, good luck, because it's a silly self-imposed limit to revenue.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
When I was there, they had people making extra ones to put on a rack to have back ups so you don't have to wait for them to make them one at a time but I think they were just so busy when I was there they sold out of everything available so they had to make them one at a time. They are very pricey though.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:51 AM

10 posts, read 14,857 times
Mass produced donuts are available right around the corner at Tim Horton's. I like the handmade touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown