Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

It wasn't that I wasn't driving carefully. The snow was just so deep that there was nothing I could do except get stuck. Three other cars were stuck on the same road, including an SUV and a pickup truck. I've never had a snow-related accident before (except as a teen when I was just learning to drive in snow), and I've never been in the ditch before. The weather was just hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Your moving out of Mankato? Or were you just kidding?
I was blowing off steam, but I'm seriously considering moving to a warmer climate. Mankato is awesome from April - Oct, but I can't take this weather. I'm from the Midwest and I've never seen a blizzard like this.

Last edited by northstar22; 12-11-2010 at 10:11 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I was really annoyed this morning when I heard the spokesperson for Mall of America telling everyone that they were keeping their roads plowed and they were open for business. I know they don't want to miss out on a day of pre-Christmas shopping, and that in general life in MN goes on snow or no snow, but this was a huge blizzard! People should not have been out on the roads today, and having so many places open (although many did eventually close) made it too easy for people to underestimate just how bad it was out there. Not to mention employees feeling forced to endanger themselves and others because they've got to go sell some shirts at the mall.

Kazoopilot -- this is more extreme than normal. I admit, though, on days like this (and when I see the temperatures forecast for the coming days) I really, really miss my days in southern California.

We lived in Delaware for a couple of years, and after one big blizzard (big, but I don't think as much snow as this) they shut down the state for several days! Literally shut it down -- the only people allowed to be out on the roads were emergency vehicles or those driving to jobs deemed necessary. It was great; EVERYONE (well, except the hospital employees, police, and plow drivers) was out of school or work, so it was like one big snow day for adults. I tromped through the snow to drink hot chocolate and watch movies with a friend. Plus, as a renter, I didn't have to shovel! Good times. I would be feeling a lot more positive about today if my wrist wasn't aching from shoveling and if we could actually go outside tomorrow to enjoy it without risking frost bite.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I literally almost died in the blizzard today. I was out running errands and got buried in the hellacious snow -- even the tow trucks couldn't get to me, so I had to call 9-1-1.My car is still buried in the MIDDLE OF A FRIGGIN' STREET, where it will rest until this expletive deleted blizzard dies down. Not to mention the expletive temperature is -10. I'm from Michigan, so I'm more than used to the snow and "blizzard warnings." I never knew winter could be like this. Hell on earth. They sent a friggin' rescue crew out to pull my stupid butt of the snow (sorry for wasting your tax dollars with my idiocy). I am so over this friggin' state. Moving ASAP. See ya later!
Um... Doing errands in a blizzard like that is not really a good idea. At least you learned about the dangers in town and not a dozen miles in the middle of nowhere...

Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I was really annoyed this morning when I heard the spokesperson for Mall of America telling everyone that they were keeping their roads plowed and they were open for business. I know they don't want to miss out on a day of pre-Christmas shopping, and that in general life in MN goes on snow or no snow, but this was a huge blizzard! People should not have been out on the roads today
St. Cloud didn't get weather like that at all Im jealous
I was out shopping for a large part of the day, the wind was very, very cold, but there wasn't all that much snow, and it all was plowed. Our apartment parking lot was already plowed when we left. Snow wasn't an issue, it was just cold and there was a strong cold wind. I heard from people that the twin cities got much, much more snow. I wish the blizzard would of happened during the week and not on a Saturday.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
First thing yesterday morning the roads were fairly clear and it wasn't blowing, at about 8:00, that changed. The Mall of America closed early. I measured on our deck where it is protected from the wind and we got 20". Dh is out shoveling the end of the driveway, the plows finally came through-it's about 5' high there.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I love blizzards like this, I just wish we got more snow out here where I am.. honestly does it kill people to take 24 hours off and stay off the roads until the storm passes and they plow the snow? They were not kidding when they said "road closed" or "no travel advised" .

Old 12-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
I wish we got snow like the cities did

Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I am so over this friggin' state. Moving ASAP. See ya later!
Gee, I guess that "weather keeps the riff-raff out" thing really works!
Quote:
Lol I went shopping for several hours today, it was fun !
But some people are just sick!!
Quote:
" What's a wind chill?" My response? " I hate you"
Totally! Last night the temperature seemed to be heading straight to Hell. Damn, that wind was sharp!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,122 times
It's only -1 here today, with no real wind chill happening. The ten day forecast is all in single digits to teen range, no negatives at all! YAY HEAT WAVE

"I think it's getting warmer."
"Are you standing on the same side of the equator as I am?"
"No, really, I think it's a couple degrees warmer than yesterday"
" The frigid wind has obviously damaged your brain"

I read that in a book a few days ago and had to laugh....it just fit so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota