Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,111 times

Advertisements

Why do the non-smokers have to cause discrimination.

Why don't the non-smokers allow the restaurants and bars to have a Smoking Only Facility. - Then only Smokers would be there.

Then also allow the bars and restaurants to have a non-smoking facility.

Let the Bars and Restaurants choose, which type of facility they want to have.

If it is a smoking only Restaurant - Then only smokers can go in to it - no non-smokers.

If it is a non-smoking restaurant - Only non-smokers could go in to the restaurant.

Is there anything wrong with this solution - It keeps the non smokers from inhaling the smoke.

It keeps the smokers out of the non-smoking establishments.

How about it, please give me your comments. When you do also please state whether you are a smoker or non-smoker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,634 times
I agree...I have a few rants on this issue on another thread. I do understand where non-smokers are coming from, but I think it's wrong for the government to dictate whether or not private business owners should allow a LEGAL (albiet unhealthy) activity on their properties.

Where I live, there are no mandatory bar/restaurant smoking bans (yet--though I'm sure a statewide ban is just around the corner), but many businesses are already "voluntarily" smoke-free because that's what their customers wanted...I have no problem with that. But if a few businesses want to cater to smokers--even if they have to put a sign outside declaring that it is a "smoking allowed" establishment--I don't see what the problem is.

In California (and other states with statewide smoking bans) they claim the law is in place to protect employees. But if "free market" principles apply and the number of smoking establishments is proportionate to the smoking population, potential employees concerned about working in a "smoking" environment only have to rule out about 20% (give or take, depending where you live) of possible employers. And lets face it, it's not like there's a huge shortage of bar/restaurant type jobs in this country.

Minnesota already has some of the highest cigarette taxes in the country (well, our governor likes to call the additional 75 cent tax a "fee", but let's just call a spade a spade) yet there's a big push to "marginalize" smokers.

Even more so in California...there's talk there in some communites of banning smoking EVERYWHERE except single family, detached homes. I almost think it would be better to just to make it illegal (because it esentially would be) and let the black market set the TAX FREE prices.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:15 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
I agree 100%, I really think that our country has become one big dictatorship, some person makes a big issue on something, and then what happens, lets take it away from people who have been doing things the same way for generations way back, and now change????????
I was a smoker, I quit on the first of the year, they were getting to costly, and everyone is so hell bent on smokers, you know they are going to get their way. It is still very hard some days where you can use one cigarette, but I refuse to buy a pack, now that being said, if I was in one of my got to have one stages, and someone walked past and gave me one, I think I would smoke it, I might get higher then a kite, but it sure would taste good.

Why is it that the people who believe in being fair, such as Mikess38, where we can have two different places of business with one being a smoking and the other a non-smoking, who is it hurting? When someone complained about the Christ in christmas, and they changed that after it being that way for many generations past, what gives them any right to just change it with out taking a vote???? If something has been around for generations, then I say it should be GRANDFATHERED IN.

I am sick over the fact that so many changes have been made when I grew up, people smoked where ever they wanted, it was called CHRISTMAS TREE nothing other, Halloween was just that not a Fall festival party, it is fine if people want to make these changes in there own lives, but do not ask me to give up something that has been in my Generations past. Sorry to have gotten carried away, but our little town is up to dictating on how we home owners need to spen $7,000 on having our water and sewer line checked and or changed. I am sorry, I am on a fixed income, guess they will have to take the house. I say enough is enough, don't anyone get on my case about my own feelings here, just expressing myself, and my own opinion. Welcome back Midnite Breeze it's been a while since you have been on. I also agree with your post. Have a good night!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 02:23 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quite honestly, I wish they would just make smoking illegal. Open up the speakeasy! Create new black market job opportunities!

But that doesn't seem to be happening. Could it be because the biggest profiteer in all of this is the State of Minnesota????? I believe this is morally and ethically wrong. If the State cares so much about all the doomed smokers, get your hand out of their pockets and just make it illegal. What happened to all the money that was supposed to be used to help smokers quit? Sorry, it went to the hate groups who are now trying to remove and isolate each and every smoker from polite society.

I wonder who and what part of society we will all need to be protected from next? I hope it's not YOU!

Just FYI, a friend called me today from SC. Marlboro cigarettes(red ones) are $11.90 per carton there. Follow the money. Always!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I am all for a smoking ban. It gets so tiresome going out to a restaurant and coming home smelling like cigarette smoke. My kids have asthma and it really isn't good for them to be around smoke. The problem with the having smoking sections in a restaurant is that the smoke still disburses throughout the restaurant and there really is no smoke-free area. Why should non-smokers have to put up with other people's cigarette smoke??

As for separate facilities for smokers/non-smokers, what do you do if you go out with a group of people or heck, even your spouse, that doesn't smoke, split up for the night and meet back home later?

I think Minneapolis has handled things well, providing a smoking area outside for those that choose to smoke. I see no problem with this what so ever.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,596 times
I am not a big fan of laws in general. As far as the smoking issue goes, I don't go to restaurants that allow smoking with my family. I think that provides gentle economic incentive to change. I would never dream of passing a law to force a business owner to comply with my preferences - I'm not that important, really.

The REAL crime here is, of course, the fact that smokers are such fun people. Drinking in a non-smoking bar is kind of like going to a restaurant where you're only allowed to look at food. If you're going to put a few scars on your liver, why discriminate against the lungs (they have rights too)?

Robert

Old 02-16-2007, 07:57 AM

13 posts, read 114,264 times
Having seperate smoking and non smoking resaraunts sounds like something that was tried before and didn't work. "Seperate but equal?" Segregation? Mid to late 20th Century?

Old 02-17-2007, 06:11 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
This topic is such a loaded issue that has affected Americans for decades. Growing up in the 70s and 80s I lived in a home where both parents smoked and their families smoked as well. I vividly remember my excitement about moving out of the house and off to college when I was 18. I could not stand living in that environment and over the past 20-some-odd years by siblings and I have talked about that part of our childhood. Amazingly the four of us do not smoke. And out of the 20 grandchildren on my maternal side, only three are smokers.

This is an issue where there are definitely no winners and a lot of hurt feelings. When we travel to visit my family in Indiana we do not stay at my parents house and limit our time there. We would love to spend more time with them and let them have more of an opportunity to be with the grandchildren. Their feelings were initially hurt, and they were offended when we first began staying at a hotel. I explained that we were not trying to be hurtful but did not want our kids to sleep in a house where there is smoking. As Golfgal shared, my kids too have asthma. My wife also has it. My wife and son are at the chronic stage and being in restaurants or homes where there has been smoking is impossible. Even if there is no smoking at the time we are there, you can still smell the odor. Many smokers I've talked with do not understand this and feel we're over reacting. Again, this is where the misunderstandings and hurt feelings come into play with this issue.

It is sad that this issue has really divided our city, state and country. While I will not darken the door of a restaurant if there is smoking, I completely understand the smoker's point of view. No, it's not fair that they should have to be put under a law that restricts them from smoking in restaurants etc. And at the same time I should not have to be limited to only eating in restaurants located in Hennepin county because they are not allowed to have smoking. It's a no-win situation.

Do I think there should be no smoking allowed in public places, restaurants etc.? You bet'cha! I do however think that respect should be given to smokers and nice alternative places should be created since they are the ones that are being put out. And as a non-smoker I know for a fact that I do look down my nose at smokers and am appalled at the habit. I'm guilty. I think nonsmokers and smokers alike should try to give each other more grace and understand their reasons for wanting nonsmoking restaurants, or not wanting to be restricted.

To the smokers out there who read this, please understand that my only reason for wanting nonsmoking environments is so that my family can enjoy the same environments you do. It's a health risk for my family to be around you and their grandparents. As the dad I have to keep them as safe as possible. In turn I promise you all that I will do my best to not look down my nose and treat smokers with contempt because of my feelings.

-Hoosier

Old 02-18-2007, 02:47 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Before the ordinance was put into place, I would purposely avoid going into smokey bars or wearing nice clothes into them because I would stink afterwards. Personally, I like the fact that you have to go to a designated area to smoke. That's just my personal though.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM

30 posts, read 191,007 times
i have to agree with that segretion statement. and Yes i am a smoker. Do i like that fact that i can't just light up anywhere. NO. In Resturants i don't mind i can't. In bars, i mind. But then i also mind that that i can only gamble on a reservation. I have alot of bad habits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota