Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 AM

121 posts, read 663,016 times

Advertisements

"""""I am all for a smoking ban. It gets so tiresome going out to a restaurant and coming home smelling like cigarette smoke""""""

I am with you on this one golfgal... It's so nice to go out in MNPLS like the E block area and go to a bunch of clubs and NOT smell like an ash tray when you leave...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,733 times
I smoke. Do I like it no. I do not have a issue with the smoking ban. Even bars or restaurants where they allow smoking I still will go outside. Hey less cigs I have to inhale.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
It is bad enough that we have smokers in the first place, but no one wants to breath cigarette smoke out in public. Everyone breathes that air. Smoke in your own home.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:54 AM

29 posts, read 134,484 times
Wow ~

At the risk of being persucuted for my opinions and at the same time remaining calm and not ranting I'm going to say something here...

I AM A SMOKER !!!!! I LIKE SMOKING !!!!! I'M GOING TO CONTINUE TO SMOKE !!!!!

I also have family members that have asthma, I respect that !!!!!! I understand that !!!!! I even understand the stinky smell !!!!!

I've smoke outside at my parents house for 13 yrs now and will continue to do so, I live in a house with 2 people that have asthma, I smoke outside even when it's - 20 below ....

If I want to smoke when I eat out I go to a resturant across town so I can smoke...

If I go with people that don't smoke or can't be around it I DON'T SMOKE...

IT'S A MATTER OF RESPECT !!!!!!

We smokers are forcing our smoke on those who don't, I understand that, respect that...

And all us smokers are saying and asking is let us have a place to go ... you do .... why is this not fair ???? and why is it whining because we are stating the fact that it isn't fair ????

We've gone along with your smoking bans for yrs, no more hospital smoking, no public libraries, no public schools or buildings, ect, ect, ect ....

We want ONE BAR in town to smoke in, ONE RESTURANT in town to smoke in.. Trust me you'd be surprised how fast more people would be more willing to comply to your non smoking ordinances....

I don't drink ~ does that give me the right to say the bars have to close because YES I TRULY AM ALLERGIC TO ALCOHOL... NO it does not ... I just don't go there.... and hope the drunk that did don't hit me on there way from the bar and kill me or my family.....

C'mon people it's called comprimize !!!!!! It's really not that hard !!!!!

Smokers you know where you can smoke and stick to that, Non Smokers you know where we'll be don't go there ... PERIOD END OF DISCUSSION !!!!!

This sococity for all the Beotching it does about polically correctness, and non segragation, and equal rights sure is pushing the limits these days....

Old 03-25-2007, 02:29 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1_06 View Post
Wow ~

At the risk of being persucuted for my opinions and at the same time remaining calm and not ranting I'm going to say something here...

I AM A SMOKER !!!!! I LIKE SMOKING !!!!! I'M GOING TO CONTINUE TO SMOKE !!!!!

I also have family members that have asthma, I respect that !!!!!! I understand that !!!!! I even understand the stinky smell !!!!!

I've smoke outside at my parents house for 13 yrs now and will continue to do so, I live in a house with 2 people that have asthma, I smoke outside even when it's - 20 below ....

If I want to smoke when I eat out I go to a resturant across town so I can smoke...

If I go with people that don't smoke or can't be around it I DON'T SMOKE...

IT'S A MATTER OF RESPECT !!!!!!

We smokers are forcing our smoke on those who don't, I understand that, respect that...

And all us smokers are saying and asking is let us have a place to go ... you do .... why is this not fair ???? and why is it whining because we are stating the fact that it isn't fair ????

We've gone along with your smoking bans for yrs, no more hospital smoking, no public libraries, no public schools or buildings, ect, ect, ect ....

We want ONE BAR in town to smoke in, ONE RESTURANT in town to smoke in.. Trust me you'd be surprised how fast more people would be more willing to comply to your non smoking ordinances....

I don't drink ~ does that give me the right to say the bars have to close because YES I TRULY AM ALLERGIC TO ALCOHOL... NO it does not ... I just don't go there.... and hope the drunk that did don't hit me on there way from the bar and kill me or my family.....

C'mon people it's called comprimize !!!!!! It's really not that hard !!!!!

Smokers you know where you can smoke and stick to that, Non Smokers you know where we'll be don't go there ... PERIOD END OF DISCUSSION !!!!!

This sococity for all the Beotching it does about polically correctness, and non segragation, and equal rights sure is pushing the limits these days....
AMEN, I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:29 PM

8 posts, read 22,113 times
It is sad that this issue has really divided our city, state and country. While I will not darken the door of a restaurant if there is smoking, I completely understand the smoker's point of view. No, it's not fair that they should have to be put under a law that restricts them from smoking in restaurants etc. And at the same time I should not have to be limited to only eating in restaurants located in Hennepin county because they are not allowed to have smoking. It's a no-win situation.

There were plenty of non-smoking bars and restaurants that chose to do so for their customers before any smoking bans were enacted. If you leave if up to business owners and the non-smokers start frequenting the non-smoking establishments or establishments will see how busy they are and follow suit. They should not be forced to.

Do I think there should be no smoking allowed in public places, restaurants etc.? You bet'cha! I do however think that respect should be given to smokers and nice alternative places should be created since they are the ones that are being put out.

Why should smokers be the ones always being put out. We can't smoke in 90% of places anymore including outdoor places so this isn't even a clean air issue. Why should non-smokers get our last place of refuge?

And as a non-smoker I know for a fact that I do look down my nose at smokers and am appalled at the habit.

I am not a religious person but I do believe there is something in the bible that says he who is without sin, cast the first stone. How dare you look down your nose at anyone. You don't get to judge others.

I'm guilty. I think nonsmokers and smokers alike should try to give each other more grace and understand their reasons for wanting nonsmoking restaurants, or not wanting to be restricted.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,916 times
There is an easy way for us smokers to deal with the smoking bans in restaurants, bars, etc......... don't go there. Since Duluth passed their smoking ban in restaurants roughly 2 1/2 years ago, I haven't been to a single restaurant in Duluth. Since the town I live in passed their ban I haven't been to a single restaurant there either. Want to know something? I haven't missed them one bit. The food isn't that good anyway.

As far as a statewide ban goes, I personally don't care about that either. You don't have to go to a bar or restaurant to have a good time. You can go fishing, have a barbecue, or do something else. In fact, there are any number of things we can do to enjoy ourselves. An additional benefit is that we won't have to put up with any more whining.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 13,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
If you're talking to me, you have no right at all to tell me what to do with my life. Am I FAR healthier in California? YES!! Was I sick non-stop in Minnesota? YES!! The cigarette smoke was horrible and unavoidable, and it kept me sick. Some people seem not to understand this -- it's not an annoyance, it's a health issue that literally keeps you bed-ridden for much of the time. Your comment is truly ignorant and juvenile, I can not hide my utter contempt that a small number of people still think this way.

Also, I'm looking out at a beautiful ocean and clean blue skies here. Pollution data states the air is cleaner here on the California coast than it is in the Twin Cities (compare peak ozone reading most years, you'll see we're about 10-20% lower here). Not all of CA is like Riverside or the San Fernando Valley. And even when I'm in smog, it does not compare to smoke. See, I am allergic to tobacco -- if a tobacco field was on fire, I'd react too. But I'm not allergic to ozone. Is it bad for me? Yep. Will it make me sick for two months if I spend an hour in it? Nope.

Therefore, cigarette smoke hurts me FAR worse than smog. Make sense now?

All I know is it was the best thing I've ever done in my life, it turned my life around and turned my health around! And anyone who is allergic to smoke and stuck in a backwoods place that still allow smoke in public places owes it to themselves and those around them to do what they have to do to make themselves healthy -- go somewhere where they're understood and accepted.

Funny, I've never had a Californian give me hassle about my allergy to smoke. But I got called a lot of names in Minnesota when I said I could not join people in smoky bars. Hey, I'm just glad I'm out the Twin Cities, it was the worst place I've ever lived!

Lady, besides your alleged physical illnesses I believe you may also suffer from a few mental irregularities as well.

At no point did I ever tell you how to live your life. I in no way shape or form care where you care to live and what dilusions you choose to believe.

I do however care that people like you think that it is ok to kick and scream about how life is so unfair to you because the rest of the country is allowed to make their own decisions that may not go along with your slanted view of how life should be. What you need to do is go about living your life the way you want to and stay the hell out of everyone elses business. Stop wasting your time and my money. If you found your little piece of heaven in one of the dirtiest states (regardless of the misinformation you were fed) then please, go about enjoying the rest of your life and stop interfering with mine.

Fact of the matter is, that minnesota for many years standing is the 2nd most livable state in the country. The major contributing factors in this study which is conducted by Morgan Quinto (incase you want to look it up) are economy, education, HEALTH and HEALTH CARE, public safety and ENVIRONMENTAL statistics. To even be considering a smoking ban when there are hundereds of much more important issues to be worrying about is absolutely rediculous.

Another fun fact that is EVERYWHERE except for in the eyes of the poeple who refuse to believe it is that regardless of the statistics that claim thousands loose their lives to second hand smoke, there is no actual POVEN direct link between second hand smoke and their deaths. In almost every documented case there are other factors that conclude that those individuals would more than likely have died early from same or similar diseases regardless of second hand smoke.

Those people as I stated before have weak genes. That is the eact cause of the illnesses that they have. Regardless of how that makes them feel or how bad others may feel for them, it is the truth. I will continue to speak the truth regardless of whether anyone likes it or not. We can continue to hide from reality and blame everything except for ourselves for our issues, or we can just face the facts, act like intelligent beings and make the best of the lives we are given whether it is short due to a bad gene pool or a long fruitful life filled with good fortune. Blaming and hiding from the truth is not going to make the truth go away. It is only going to make your life more unlivable.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:52 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,541 times
"weak genes"..........are you kidding me?

Cigarette smoke contains hundreds of different poisons.

If you smoke your original DNA has been altered dramatically and permanently.

This change is definitely not for the better.

Who has weak genes now? ...............tough guy.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:21 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,599 times
Default I'm with you YS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Quite honestly, I wish they would just make smoking illegal. Open up the speakeasy! Create new black market job opportunities!

But that doesn't seem to be happening. Could it be because the biggest profiteer in all of this is the State of Minnesota????? I believe this is morally and ethically wrong. If the State cares so much about all the doomed smokers, get your hand out of their pockets and just make it illegal. What happened to all the money that was supposed to be used to help smokers quit? Sorry, it went to the hate groups who are now trying to remove and isolate each and every smoker from polite society.

I wonder who and what part of society we will all need to be protected from next? I hope it's not YOU!

Just FYI, a friend called me today from SC. Marlboro cigarettes(red ones) are $11.90 per carton there. Follow the money. Always!
I'm all with you YS, I smoke, love it and hate it...I couldn't care less if they "ban" smoking in public, I am paying $4.00 a pack and can't afford to eat out anyway. You're absolutely right, if they want to save me from myself, they should outlaw it. Never happen exactly for the reason you state! Sorry, I'd go longer but I gotta get outside and spark one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota