Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:31 PM

21 posts, read 65,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I agree 100%, I really think that our country has become one big dictatorship, some person makes a big issue on something, and then what happens, lets take it away from people who have been doing things the same way for generations way back, and now change????????
I was a smoker, I quit on the first of the year, they were getting to costly, and everyone is so hell bent on smokers, you know they are going to get their way. It is still very hard some days where you can use one cigarette, but I refuse to buy a pack, now that being said, if I was in one of my got to have one stages, and someone walked past and gave me one, I think I would smoke it, I might get higher then a kite, but it sure would taste good.

Why is it that the people who believe in being fair, such as Mikess38, where we can have two different places of business with one being a smoking and the other a non-smoking, who is it hurting? When someone complained about the Christ in christmas, and they changed that after it being that way for many generations past, what gives them any right to just change it with out taking a vote???? If something has been around for generations, then I say it should be GRANDFATHERED IN.

I am sick over the fact that so many changes have been made when I grew up, people smoked where ever they wanted, it was called CHRISTMAS TREE nothing other, Halloween was just that not a Fall festival party, it is fine if people want to make these changes in there own lives, but do not ask me to give up something that has been in my Generations past. Sorry to have gotten carried away, but our little town is up to dictating on how we home owners need to spen $7,000 on having our water and sewer line checked and or changed. I am sorry, I am on a fixed income, guess they will have to take the house. I say enough is enough, don't anyone get on my case about my own feelings here, just expressing myself, and my own opinion. Welcome back Midnite Breeze it's been a while since you have been on. I also agree with your post. Have a good night!!!!!!!!!
Yorkie_Mom

Way to go lady you stated a lot of facts and did it very well. Kudos to you!

From one Terrier lover to another ours are a Scottie and a Westie. Our Scottie crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge" last Wednesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 AM

6 posts, read 34,755 times
I am a smoker and I think it is a discusting habit so I do believe it should be kept away from children. However I do not think that a bar is a healthy place in general and I think it is idiotic to condemn smoking in one. If this were florida and all the bars had huge patios maybe this would not be such a issue. Lets me real it gets really cold here and alot of smokers would rather stay home.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,632 times
Both myself and my wife are and always have been smokers and this stupid smoking ban has just arrived here in the uk. There should be no smoking areas in bars and pubs most certainly but if they are going to ban smoking completely, and there is a suggestion it may also extend to being refused treatment in hospitals if you smoke, then drug addicts, drinkers and all others should also be banned.

The subject of smoking around babies has also been raised here - well between us we have 6 children, the oldest is 50, and we always smoked whilst they were in the house - none of them smoke and it has done no damage to their health because we smoked whilst they were babies. None smokers should just butt out and stop spoiling our enjoyment.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:47 AM

297 posts, read 842,229 times
I haven't read all the responses yet, but my $.02...

It seems reasonable/logical that restaurants would ban smoking all together. As we all know, before the ban, the smoke does not stay in the *smoking section*. If I take my 7 & 8 year old out to Appleby's, they should not have to be subjected to your (whomever's) cigarette smoke.

HOWEVER, I think that bars/lounges/nightclubs - places that are 18+ should have the option of banning smoking. Prior to, I didn't go out much because I did not want to come home reeking of smoke. I'd go out on occasion and then I'd need to dry clean my clothes, wash my hair, etc.

I am not a smoker, have never been. I personally think it is a disgusting habit. But that's what works for me...My mom smokes, yet she really tries not to smoke in the house. sometimes when it's really cold she'll go to the basement & light up. We were all outside on the porch recently, she lit her cigarette, and I swear I instantly felt like I couldn't breathe. So, honestly, I am grateful for the ban.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:09 PM

16 posts, read 49,781 times
Default Being considerate to others...

This is one issue that I have strong feelings on. As a non-smoker, I find it offensive that I can be subjected to something that is harmful to my health. I detest cigarette smoke personally. I do believe that every person should have the right to decide if they want to smoke themselves. It is when they affect others that it becomes a problem.
I am not sure what mechanism could be put into place to provide seperate areas for smokers, especially when it involves a work location. Second hand smoke has been proven to be physically harmful so if an employer such as a bar owner created a smoking allowed bar, the employees would have to sign a waiver indicating they understood that the environment they worked in was exposing them to a harmful substance. With America being sue happy, I don't think that is going to happen.
Another side on this issue is smokers throwing their cigarette butts on the ground. Again, this is inconsiderate to the point of being rude. If you want to throw your trash on the ground, do it in your own yard. I am sorry guys, but I just don't think smokers give any consideration to how their actions affect others. Perhaps if smokers showed a bit more consideration towards those of us who don't smoke it would not have been necessary to pass laws to protect our rights.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:49 AM

204 posts, read 774,444 times
My husband and I (smokers) were discussing this the other day while on a trip back from East coast. We stopped in Sandusky,OH at a sports bar we like. It was Sunday-Browns were playing-place was EMPTY-went non smoking this year.

What's next? Will they ban cheeseburgers, brats, hot dishes made w/too much cream soup and velveeta, Dairy Queens/Culvers custard? The novel "1984" is coming to fruition-big brother is definitely watching and running our lives.

We averaged going out 3 times a week-looks like we'll be spending more time home.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:47 PM

987 posts, read 3,820,192 times
Smoking is becoming a thing of the past. It's time we accept it and move on. Having seen what it's done to the generation that came before mine, I'm glad. You may have a right to smoke, but you also have a responsibility and duty to your loved ones. I'd like to think that my wife and kids come first. I would not deprive them of a few extra days of with me, nor would I want to miss saying good morning to them one more time. My uncle died early from cancer, and that's exactly how he felt. At the time of his death, his dissapointment was heavier than his pain.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:35 PM

175 posts, read 731,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post

What's next? Will they ban cheeseburgers, brats, hot dishes made w/too much cream soup and velveeta, Dairy Queens/Culvers custard? The novel "1984" is coming to fruition-big brother is definitely watching and running our lives.

We averaged going out 3 times a week-looks like we'll be spending more time home.
Eating a cheeseburger etc. next to me does not affect MY health. Breathing your smoke does.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:56 PM

987 posts, read 3,820,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
Eating a cheeseburger etc. next to me does not affect MY health. Breathing your smoke does.
Yes, and the smoke smells up other folk's clothes. I don't even like people smoking around my kid. It's like using foul language. I take it quite personally. I'm thankful that none of his friends' parents smoke.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
I agree.

Here in Arizona; aside from the Indian reservations smoking is now verboten as well. The law was put to popular vote and passed.

Heck: even Ireland has now banned smoking in its pubs.

I may have strong Libertarian leanings; but, when an activity flagrantly infringes on my space, I have no sympathy.

Loud music from passing cars is illegal yet some people cop an attitude when they get called out on it.

As for alcohol: being that a BAC of .04 can cause a CDL holder to lose their permit; why not simply make .04 the law of the land with .08 BAC extreme DUI?

I am being quite serious; if a person is selfish enough to drink and drive, they need to be punished severely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota