Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Good luck to us all, you could be our forever modder.
Not sure if I will make it to Brainerd area, usta' hearing back a bit sooner, but they were interviewing five others for the position. I thought I did well, but will here for sure next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 01:06 PM

Well, they hired a local candidate for the position. I can't seem to get a position in MN that I meet all the criteria for. I'll keep trying, but likely will target other states instead at this time.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:39 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, they hired a local candidate for the position. I can't seem to get a position in MN that I meet all the criteria for. I'll keep trying, but likely will target other states instead at this time.
I’m sorry to hear this. I think you would be a great addition to our state.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:48 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I can tell you that we've found Minnesota to be worth the persistence. I applied for jobs here beginning when I was single back around 2004-ish, and continued off and on through 2016 when I really kicked my efforts into high gear as a family man. The more rejections I received, the more I wanted to be here. I figured if it was that hard to crack this place there must be something good about it, and I was right. Don't misunderstand - I've lived in enough states and cities to know no place is perfect - but for us, Minnesota has been a great fit and well worth all the applications, interviews and rejections endured before finally happening upon the job meant for us. Once we did make it we almost instantly realized this was our spot and wasted no time buying a home/planting ourselves here. Based upon the posts of yours that I've read previously I think Minnesota would be a great fit for you as well.....so don't give up just yet. Living here was worth the wait and effort for us!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I’m sorry to hear this. I think you would be a great addition to our state.
Thanks, I’m not giving up, will try again when a new opportunity comes up.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I can tell you that we've found Minnesota to be worth the persistence. I applied for jobs here beginning when I was single back around 2004-ish, and continued off and on through 2016 when I really kicked my efforts into high gear as a family man. The more rejections I received, the more I wanted to be here. I figured if it was that hard to crack this place there must be something good about it, and I was right. Don't misunderstand - I've lived in enough states and cities to know no place is perfect - but for us, Minnesota has been a great fit and well worth all the applications, interviews and rejections endured before finally happening upon the job meant for us. Once we did make it we almost instantly realized this was our spot and wasted no time buying a home/planting ourselves here. Based upon the posts of yours that I've read previously I think Minnesota would be a great fit for you as well.....so don't give up just yet. Living here was worth the wait and effort for us!
Thank you for the encouragement Tyryztoll. I have been applying for MN positions for the last three years, with a few interviews so far. I have had numerous people tell me that I interview quite well, so it is likely a preference for a local candidate when possible. I’ve also thought about moving to the state to take an unrelated job so I would have better odds at attaining a more preferred position as a “local” candidate.
Yes, I fit in quite well culturally with the upper Midwest. I feel at home in the Northwoods more than just about anywhere else in the US.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Not that cold. I grew up in Miami. Minnesota natives got no excuse lol.

This winter has been weak, though. No snow, barely any real cold. Too many 40s. Yawn! I hope this mild winter at least leads to a mild spring and not another snowy April followed by really hot May.

If the wind isn't bad and its sunny, any temp between 0-32 is nice in winter.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Not that cold. I grew up in Miami. Minnesota natives got no excuse lol.

This winter has been weak, though. No snow, barely any real cold. Too many 40s. Yawn! I hope this mild winter at least leads to a mild spring and not another snowy April followed by really hot May.

Even up here, we have had two systems with wet snow that turned my sidewalk into ice. The snow we got is about an inch below average for the year and with good accumulation, but the quality of the snow sucks. Hard crusty type. All of the surfaces are completely glare iced.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:05 PM

225 posts, read 211,296 times
Quote:
It was, what, -15 today with the windchill? Yesterday was similar. Those 40 days are few and far in between.

Quote:
Okay.

I hope to one day grow up to be big and strong like you guys.

Last edited by LeTraveler; 01-09-2019 at 07:23 PM..

Old 01-10-2019, 01:14 AM

70 posts, read 66,119 times
To me it's just not worth it unless you have family in MN and it just feels like home. My immediate family is pretty weak and one of them recently died so I have increasingly less reason to be there. Northern MN around Duluth maybe might be a nice summer spot for those retired snowbirds who can leave in winter. Seems like it's just twin cities and duluth/Northwoods everything else is pretty unremarkable. Well I haven't been to Rochester but I assume it's kind of s sterile downtown type with mostly suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota