Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 03:04 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times

Advertisements

Even the rain seems to presents problems for the people of Southern California.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...129-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 04:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
You are way over-reacting, OP!

Old 11-29-2018, 05:28 PM

225 posts, read 211,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaVibe786 View Post
Wow, if this making you rethink your move, damn. Wait till you get a week of straight sub-zero temps along with wind chill.

I would start looking for job opportunities now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
yep, won't make it to April
Awww, see, this is why I love Minnesota. The residents are all so supportive and helpful and such.

@Ghengis, yes, I --will-- make it to April. I deserve
April. *glares*

Anyway, I don't think I said that I was considering leaving. I don't think you understood the post. I said that winter was grating on me, yet I know the answer to the question of why I'm here. Weather is not going to be the determining factor in where I live.

There are plenty of people here who don't like winter; I can't go a day without hearing complaints about it from people who have lived here forever or their whole lives. So I don't think one has to like winter to live here. Assuming they have the option to move, maybe they just have to be tolerant of it or like everything else more than they dislike winter.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Winter basically JUST started! First snowfall of any significance of the winter!

Maybe you have to commute on the slick icy freeways where so many accidents occurred yesterday and today?

Old 11-29-2018, 06:11 PM

225 posts, read 211,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
In spring you will for the first time experience seeing 30 degrees as surprisingly warm and will walk around with your jacket open. Until then, several weeks in December through February will be a real and genuine trial.
The open jacket may or may not happen but I already look forward to days in the high 30s. Compared to when I arrived, when the temperature went to the 40s consistently and my body screamed, "Whoa, it's January already?"

Old 11-29-2018, 06:28 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
In spring you will for the first time experience seeing 30 degrees as surprisingly warm and will walk around with your jacket open. Until then, several weeks in December through February will be a real and genuine trial.

This is true. I was surprised at how warm 40-50s felt in Minnesota, when anywhere else I would be freezing. The body does adjust. Weather is still a big issue, though.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:51 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Even the rain seems to presents problems for the people of Southern California.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...129-story.html
Uh huh.

Let's see what the article says...

Quote:
More rain is expected Thursday evening and into the morning, likely making for a continuation of slow and wet commute in soggy San Diego County, where crashes and spin-outs littered the freeways earlier in the day.
Quote:
As of about 3:15 p.m., there were more than a dozen recent crashes on rain-slickened freeways, according to the California Highway Patrol. The message from CHP Officer Tommy Strickland was to drive with caution.
My goodness! At least 13 crashes in a county of 3.4 million people!

In 2017, there were on average 215 crashes daily in Minnesota. Given that about half the state is in the Metro Area, that's somewhere north of 100 just in the Metro. Those crashes are probably disproportionately concentrated during the commutes for rather obvious reasons. Even on a clear summer weekday, there are probably more than a dozen crashes during the rush hours (the Twin Cities has roughly the same population as San Diego County). Undoubtedly the rate rises when it rains.
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/rep...0in%202017.pdf

Yours might be the lamest post I've stumbled across today. No, make that this week.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:57 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Look at it this way: November is just about behind us already. One less cold month to deal with this season, and.....

Nah, forget it. You're gonna be colder than hairless cat in a meat locker for longer than you care to imagine.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Awww, see, this is why I love Minnesota. The residents are all so supportive and helpful and such.

@Ghengis, yes, I --will-- make it to April. I deserve
April. *glares*

Anyway, I don't think I said that I was considering leaving. I don't think you understood the post. I said that winter was grating on me, yet I know the answer to the question of why I'm here. Weather is not going to be the determining factor in where I live.

There are plenty of people here who don't like winter; I can't go a day without hearing complaints about it from people who have lived here forever or their whole lives. So I don't think one has to like winter to live here. Assuming they have the option to move, maybe they just have to be tolerant of it or like everything else more than they dislike winter.
Winter is not that bad, embrace it and it will be not so bad.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:35 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Uh huh.

Let's see what the article says...

My goodness! At least 13 crashes in a county of 3.4 million people!

In 2017, there were on average 215 crashes daily in Minnesota. Given that about half the state is in the Metro Area, that's somewhere north of 100 just in the Metro. Those crashes are probably disproportionately concentrated during the commutes for rather obvious reasons. Even on a clear summer weekday, there are probably more than a dozen crashes during the rush hours (the Twin Cities has roughly the same population as San Diego County). Undoubtedly the rate rises when it rains.
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/rep...0in%202017.pdf

Yours might be the lamest post I've stumbled across today. No, make that this week.
Oh, chill out. I thought it was obvious that what was considered by the press in San Diego to be a weather-related catastrophe paled in comparison to a snowstorm here. I guess it wasn’t that obvious...at least not to you.

Still, their wildfires and mudslides beat ours hands down!

And thanks for the nomination for lamest post of the week! I’ll return the favor by nominating you for biggest overreaction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota