Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 08:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Op here. Ok today was a better day, pretty snow a bit warmer, still not my favorite but season. If it lasted two months I would be happy but it does drag on too long.

A little back back round. Lived here most of my 50 something years except 7 in Dallas/Ft Worth. So grass is always greener thing, I missed the seasons and family and the state so moved back. Absolutely no intentions of moving. Except if I won the lottery I would snowbird in Florida Keys and become a part time Parrot Head ..Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude....

Good Day everyone!!!! Sorry, ya know, wouldn't be a Minnesotan if I didn't complain about the weather every once in a while. I did complain about the horrendous long hot season in Texas and that they needed more cold weather to kill off the fleas.

My brother and his wife moved to the twin cities in 2016 ft Oklahoma.
The climate was rough at first, but they enjoy outdoor winter activities
But even they complained some.
I guess they didn't have much of a fall since it rained all the time. Then a way colder than average November didn't help. So they went from summer, rain, winter.
They tell me the only major winter gripe they have is that snow turns a bad commute into the fifth circle of hell.
If it makes you feel any better, they know plenty of Minnesota folks that don't love the long dark cold endless winters. They just make do the best they can and focus on the many other things they love about Minnesota. To them, the good outweighs the bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
I like the cold and snow, hate the heat and humidity. Yes, I've been in the Northwoods extensively during winter so I know what to expect. Luckily, I have an in-person job interview coming up soon in central Minnesota (Brainerd Lakes region). I can't wait as it is a much better cultural match than where I presently live. Also, lived in a milder part of the Upper Midwest previously.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:02 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
Granite, love the Brainard lakes area. The best, clearest lakes in the state imo. Most are Sandy bottom and full of fish. It has become a bit citified, so many have summer homes, slowly being replaced with summer mcmansion. Check out the pit lakes. Things do kind of close up after summer season is over. You w/b lucky to get a good paying job in that area. Not exactly a booming year round economy.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:00 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
LMAO. I think you forgot the " rules of Minnesota"!
You are ONLY supposed to say or post that Minnesota is perfect!
NO other state has ANYTHING good that even comes close to Minnesota!
Minnesota must NEVER be criticized!
Minnesota is the ONLY state that does or has ANYTHING good!
If the other 49 States became the Garden of Eden, they STILL wouldn't be as good as Minnesota!
how 'bout them Packers!

Old 12-04-2018, 04:35 PM

225 posts, read 211,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Shot from the hip a bit. Sorry about the name mix up. I hope you can learn to eventually love the winter. I guess I could not imagine living somewhere hating a certain season.
I don't hate the season entirely. I love snow, I love cloudy days...I don't love 20s or below temps with no breaks in between.

I suppose I'm starting to realize this is my life for the next 3.5 months. Still, I'm checking the weather for when that below zero windchill week hits, so I can plan to be "missing" for that.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:43 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
sheesh it's Minnesota folks! Winter in Minnesota is characterized by cold (below freezing) temperatures. Snow is the main form of winter precipitation, but freezing rain, sleet, and occasionally rain are all possible during the winter months. Common storm systems include Alberta clippers or Panhandle hooks; some of which develop into blizzards. Annual snowfall extremes have ranged from over 170 inches (432 cm) in the rugged Superior Highlands of the North Shore to as little as 5 inches (13 cm) in southern Minnesota. Temperatures as low as −60 °F (−51 °C) have occurred during Minnesota winters. Spring is a time of major transition in Minnesota. Snowstorms are common early in the spring, but by late-spring as temperatures begin to moderate the state can experience tornado outbreaks, a risk which diminishes but does not cease through the summer and into the autumn.
love it, like it, or leave it.......I love the winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Minnesota

Old 12-04-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Granite, love the Brainard lakes area. The best, clearest lakes in the state imo. Most are Sandy bottom and full of fish. It has become a bit citified, so many have summer homes, slowly being replaced with summer mcmansion. Check out the pit lakes. Things do kind of close up after summer season is over. You w/b lucky to get a good paying job in that area. Not exactly a booming year round economy.
I haven't actually been to the area directly before, but many other areas of the Northwoods nearby. Brainerd/Baxter micropolitan area is over 75K with demographics tilted toward retirees over younger people. True, not as many good paying jobs in the area based on my research. I have an IT, GIS, and Engineering background. I assume the closest match to Brainerd Lakes area that I'm quite familiar with would be the Northwoods of Wisconsin if you're familiar with Minocqua/Woodruff or Eagle River areas. Vilas County, WI has around 1,300 smaller lakes, Crow Wing County seems to have larger sized lakes, but somewhat less lakes in total. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the interview next week!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:10 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I haven't actually been to the area directly before, but many other areas of the Northwoods nearby. Brainerd/Baxter micropolitan area is over 75K with demographics tilted toward retirees over younger people. True, not as many good paying jobs in the area based on my research. I have an IT, GIS, and Engineering background. I assume the closest match to Brainerd Lakes area that I'm quite familiar with would be the Northwoods of Wisconsin if you're familiar with Minocqua/Woodruff or Eagle River areas. Vilas County, WI has around 1,300 smaller lakes, Crow Wing County seems to have larger sized lakes, but somewhat less lakes in total. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the interview next week!
Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:40 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, I used to live in minocqua, it's very similar to the brainerd area in my opinion. Brainerd is a little bigger in the off season, but same kinda thing!

Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes.
Thanks Glenfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota