Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 PM

70 posts, read 66,141 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm born and from MN, although spend about 10 years of my life there and most my adult life outside, which gives me a good outsider perspective, yet I have deep family in MN.

Articles about this topic can be found online.

I feel like there really is something to this.

There is a version of this in Washington state as well, they call it the Seattle Freeze. I have noticed this to some degree in Washington, but thinking back to MN, I think it's actually quite worse in MN, the intensity of passive aggressiveness and cold shoulder like mannerisms.

I have to say, I appreciate and prefer more blunt East coast type or more open California type.

Is it accurate to say 'Minnesota Nice' is just a facade and a type of passive aggressive?

It also feels like people in Minnesota feel it's superior in almost every way to any other state. Yes it has many nice things going for it, but the fact remains, those not from MN don't think of it as a place they would want to live and the freezing winters are something that can never be changed. I feel like MN people can be proud of their home state but maybe a little more modest on how great they feel it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 09:41 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
This has been beaten to death in these forums. There is nothing more to say on the topic. I’m not one to yell troll but I note the OP has two posts total, both attempting to start a controversial thread. Yawn.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:25 PM

I don't see any on the subject going back nearly a year. The last one I can find on the subject is from 2015... I guess I'll read through that

Old 09-15-2018, 07:31 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhg View Post
I don't see any on the subject going back nearly a year. The last one I can find on the subject is from 2015... I guess I'll read through that
Read the Twin Cities section, not the Minnesota one.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
It also feels like people in Minnesota feel it's superior in almost every way to any other state. Yes it has many nice things going for it, but the fact remains, those not from MN don't think of it as a place they would want to live and the freezing winters are something that can never be changed. I feel like MN people can be proud of their home state but maybe a little more modest on how great they feel it is.
The fact remains that many Americans outside of the Midwest just simply don't know any better. Unfortunately, a lot of these people have zero familiarity with the interior of the country and have only ever flown over it. From a Minnesotan perspective, there's a certain dismissiveness and condescension to our state from coastalites that in most cases is bafflingly unwarranted and based on false assumptions.

As someone who is well-traveled and has seen most of the country and what each state offers, it's easy for me to recognize why Minnesota is one of the nicer areas of the country.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The fact remains that many Americans outside of the Midwest just simply don't know any better. Unfortunately, a lot of these people have zero familiarity with the interior of the country and have only ever flown over it. From a Minnesotan perspective, there's a certain dismissiveness and condescension to our state from coastalites that in most cases is bafflingly unwarranted and based on false assumptions.

As someone who is well-traveled and has seen most of the country and what each state offers, it's easy for me to recognize why Minnesota is one of the nicer areas of the country.
Honestly I don't think it boils down to 'they simply dont know any better'... There are tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of business people flying and spending many days and weeks in the interior. The interior 'fly over' states are not some kind of undiscovered jewel. YES it is nice on many many flanks but the winters keep it from being the next Austin, Charlotte, or Seattle. Be lucky you have United Health Group there or else it would be a dying breed, depending on Best buy and Target, which Amazon is destroying and will probably buy one or both in the next 10 years. If you've got a good setup in the midwest already then you've got the best of both worlds and sitting good, so more power to you; I'm just talking average here of what people and business prefer. All I know is when I was age 13-23 when I lived in MN, by college, in winter, I was constantly asking myself, why am I dealing with this?

Last edited by FJhg; 09-16-2018 at 02:03 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

You're actually a good example of a Minnesotan who refuses to back down and be modest about Minnesota... It is what it is. It has potential, maybe one day it WILL become on of THOSE cities, but it's not yet. When the next Amazon develops in Minneapolis and it becomes an international airport busting at the seems let me know. Right now the extent of foreign flights are the something along the lines of seasonal Cancun, Jamaica, and maybe some year round UK, Iceland flights, and seasonal Paris/Germany, which is your typical small barely international airport profile, it's not an international city or destination. When will there be a year round China flight? NOT TO SAY IT ISNT NICE AND HECK MAYBE I WILL MOVE BACK ONE DAY, maybe because all my family is there?. I'm just talking averages here and what the economy and people and COMPANIES want and desire as a place to LIVE AND WORK. You have to factor in the whole picture. People are willing to deal with a little grunge or litter here and there (maybe even like it) if it's where the action is ( and these type of things are actually unimportant, states like Washington with 'lots' of litter are actually the top states for renewable energy, far exceeding Minnesota, but bask in your low litter side of highways, albeit meaningless beyond aesthetics.

Last edited by FJhg; 09-16-2018 at 02:27 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 08:19 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
Quote:
You're actually a good example of a Minnesotan who refuses to back down and be modest about Minnesota... It is what it is. It has potential, maybe one day it WILL become on of THOSE cities, but it's not yet. When the next Amazon develops in Minneapolis and it becomes an international airport busting at the seems let me know. Right now the extent of foreign flights are the something along the lines of seasonal Cancun, Jamaica, and maybe some year round UK, Iceland flights, and seasonal Paris/Germany, which is your typical small barely international airport profile, it's not an international city or destination. When will there be a year round China flight? NOT TO SAY IT ISNT NICE AND HECK MAYBE I WILL MOVE BACK ONE DAY, maybe because all my family is there?. I'm just talking averages here and what the economy and people and COMPANIES want and desire as a place to LIVE AND WORK. You have to factor in the whole picture. People are willing to deal with a little grunge or litter here and there (maybe even like it) if it's where the action is ( and these type of things are actually unimportant, states like Washington with 'lots' of litter are actually the top states for renewable energy, far exceeding Minnesota, but bask in your low litter side of highways, albeit meaningless beyond aesthetics.
ok.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:23 AM

159 posts, read 238,640 times
Quote:
Be lucky you have United Health Group there or else it would be a dying breed, depending on Best buy and Target, which Amazon is destroying and will probably buy one or both in the next 10 years.
Ah no Amazon is not destroying BestBuy or Target, both of those companies are growing. You might want to check their quarterly reports and annual growth. Target is heavily making investments and they are taking a toll on the profits this year but they are begining to pay off with large increases in same store sales.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-age-of-amazon

Quote:
You're actually a good example of a Minnesotan who refuses to back down and be modest about Minnesota...
In other words what you say is fact and therefore can't be disputed.....

Last edited by Noliving; 09-16-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 01:27 PM

225 posts, read 211,430 times
Quote:
There is a version of this in Washington state as well, they call it the Seattle Freeze. I have noticed this to some degree in Washington, but thinking back to MN, I think it's actually quite worse in MN, the intensity of passive aggressiveness and cold shoulder like mannerisms.

I have to say, I appreciate and prefer more blunt East coast type or more open California type.
I'm a blunt East Coaster so I appreciate them as well. Let me be blunt here.

The topic of Seattle/WA vs. Minnesota is right up my alley as these were my top two choices when deciding where to move.

I think MN is equivalent to Seattle in passive-aggressiveness but much friendlier and genuinely kind. Many of those in the Twin Cities have been extremely kind and helpful to me. I'm aware there is a social pressure here to be seen or see oneself as "kind/good". Yet I think I'm fairly experienced with telling who is genuinely so and who is socially so, and many truly are. This was not what I expected because all I'd heard was how distant and cold MN people are.

I'm pretty introverted myself but I enjoy people. However, to more outgoing people I am perceived as distant and unfriendly since I'm not chatty and I'm cautious with unfamiliar people. I wonder if this is what Minnesotans have been plagued by, this same misinterpretation.

Seattleites and those who tend to move and stay there, ime, are not only more introverted but more or less, not very interested in others. Intelligent, worldly and liberal, but caring more at a distance. Also, the flaky, noncommittal ways of the West was opposed to the East Coast faithfulness I knew. MN people can be flaky as well, to avoid conflict, but they have more grit and staying power. Clearly these are generalizations and not fitting of individuals, but I'd say this is how these populations skew.

I haven't experienced winter yet so I can't comment on that. Now, I've spent most of my life in "it" or "next it" cities. I hope that the Twin Cities remain relatively under the radar. I think that many of the positives are due to this, and I'd hate to see the lowering of QOL that tends to happen when a city becomes highly sought after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota