Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 04:06 PM

587 posts, read 564,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Growth requires discomfort, but Minnesotans do not like being uncomfortable. I found Minneosta to be a place stuck in time socially. But hey...it works for them.
I totally agree with this, and I will add, not just socially. I have found some of my work processes to be not as progressive as positions I’ve had in other states. There’s a website I’m required to use and it looks like a 1990’s GeoCities website, time to upgrade to something newer and shinier, lols. My husband jokes about how this city is still living in the 1990’s. It’s good to know others see it that way too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 07:52 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,473,778 times
Omg, I haven't heard GeoCities in so long! I remember when we got to the point where we called it Geoshi....you know the rest. I really had high hopes for my move to MN. I thought I was moving into something new when it turned out to be a giant step backwards. The place has a lot of potential. I will definitely give their government credit for running waaaayy more efficiently than Illinois (which really isn't hard to do), and I appreciated getting more back on state taxes. But it absolutely wasn't worth the bad, which for me was really bad. It has the potential to surpass Chicago as the hub of the Midwest, but not as long as its people keep that smalltown mentality alive. Pretty sure I'd feel more welcome in the absolutely worst rural places of my state. It's a shame, really. Maybe one day the Twin Cities can be all that she can be. Until then, the residents will continue to smugly judge us while the rest of the world modernizes.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:59 PM

225 posts, read 211,984 times
Re: the work situation in the Twin Cities, I think it varies. My workplace is all about the new and innovative, to the point where people have a hard time keeping up. Other than the employees I doubt anything has been there more than a couple of years.

I agree with the social atmosphere not being up to date with other cities, and that certainly comes with its downsides. Yet that's part of the charm to me; it's very unique. There is much here that can not be found in other places, and a lot of character, which I can't say is true for other places who are always hopping on the new and trendy train. Also, I don't know about all of MN but Minneapolis, even though it has some small town-esque neighborhoods, seems very modern.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 1,518 times
Default Don't stay

Your future is brighter outside of MN. Go for it, and don't let anyone hold you back. Don't be disillusioned by locals. Travel light, and follow your dreams. Go for it, but do it NOW. Invest your time in relationships outside of MN. The difference is stark.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:23 PM

413 posts, read 324,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhg View Post
Honestly I don't think it boils down to 'they simply dont know any better'... There are tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of business people flying and spending many days and weeks in the interior. The interior 'fly over' states are not some kind of undiscovered jewel. YES it is nice on many many flanks but the winters keep it from being the next Austin, Charlotte, or Seattle. Be lucky you have United Health Group there or else it would be a dying breed, depending on Best buy and Target, which Amazon is destroying and will probably buy one or both in the next 10 years. If you've got a good setup in the midwest already then you've got the best of both worlds and sitting good, so more power to you; I'm just talking average here of what people and business prefer. All I know is when I was age 13-23 when I lived in MN, by college, in winter, I was constantly asking myself, why am I dealing with this?

NOW, I'll yell "troll"!

Old 12-27-2018, 12:24 PM

413 posts, read 324,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhg View Post
You're actually a good example of a Minnesotan who refuses to back down and be modest about Minnesota... It is what it is. It has potential, maybe one day it WILL become on of THOSE cities, but it's not yet. When the next Amazon develops in Minneapolis and it becomes an international airport busting at the seems let me know. Right now the extent of foreign flights are the something along the lines of seasonal Cancun, Jamaica, and maybe some year round UK, Iceland flights, and seasonal Paris/Germany, which is your typical small barely international airport profile, it's not an international city or destination. When will there be a year round China flight? NOT TO SAY IT ISNT NICE AND HECK MAYBE I WILL MOVE BACK ONE DAY, maybe because all my family is there?. I'm just talking averages here and what the economy and people and COMPANIES want and desire as a place to LIVE AND WORK. You have to factor in the whole picture. People are willing to deal with a little grunge or litter here and there (maybe even like it) if it's where the action is ( and these type of things are actually unimportant, states like Washington with 'lots' of litter are actually the top states for renewable energy, far exceeding Minnesota, but bask in your low litter side of highways, albeit meaningless beyond aesthetics.
Troll.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 1,518 times
Notice how TwinsFan1975 is being a troll by calling the other person a troll. This isn't passive aggressive, this is covert aggressive. It is playing the victim role and at the same time trying to shame the other person. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the post. Fjhg, I hope you make it out. Now is a great time given the fantastic economy. Good luck. Your observations are spot on. Minnesotans love Denver, so try Chicago, Los Angeles or NYC.
You are going to get nothing but denial after denial from the Minnesotans. You are spot on. Now, what are you going to do about it? Carpe Diem my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota