Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 09:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,116,619 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 11:09 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,425,699 times
The funny thing about this is Franken was recently lecturing a nominee for a judicial position in the Trump admin about jokes that he made on Twitter.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/11/16/se...ck-don-willett

Old 11-18-2017, 06:10 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,624,770 times
I never agree with Glenfield and I agreed with Glenfield's post regarding the ballot box being the appropriate place to judge non-criminal behavior of an elected official. The question is, at what point does harassment become criminal behavior?

Franken's behavior in this case was offensive. It was puerile. It was also similar to what most women have to put up with seeing, if not experiencing personally, every single day of our lives. I'm sick to the very death of it. Grow TF up, boys!!!!

I'm not sure whether or not Franken's behavior in this instance was a criminal act. If he did force her to kiss him at the very least shouldn't it be considered simple assault?

If men who behave offensively and in a puerile manner towards women were ineligible for elective office there would be hardly any men in elective political office and we women would be running the world. Whoo hoo, that would be great! Wait - there are an awful lot of jerky females in politics now, so . . . hmmmmm.

Franken's been a surprisingly effective senator, but he's a jerk. Maybe Minnesota can lead the nation and boot the jerk at the ballot box next time and vote in another effective woman to join Amy Klobuchar in the US senate.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:13 AM

810 posts, read 853,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
That's right I forgot, if it's a COMEDIAN then it's ok. Or a previous comedian it's ok. Or a democrat it's ok. Just wanted to get that straight.

Disclaimer, I am not a Trump supporter.
Sorry I didn't mean to say it was okay but every one of them make off color jokes and derogatory comments and nobody cares they just laugh about it.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:57 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,210,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to say it was okay but every one of them make off color jokes and derogatory comments and nobody cares they just laugh about it.
The picture shows Franken in a derogatory, groping action against a sleeping Tweeden (so definitely not part of a comedy skit). Worse than an off color joke.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:16 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,210,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I don’t even close to equate this to what Roy Moore is accused of. I’m not making excuses for Franken but I’d think differently about this if it had happened during the time he was serving as senator....however it didn’t. It happened while he was working as a professional comedian when pushing the limits and being politically incorrect is part of the job description. It’s disappointing and inappropriate but at the end of the day low on the severity scale.

I’d be shocked if this caused him to resign.
A case has also been made by some Trump supporters that the Vanity Fair tape on Trump was before he ran for office and that he was just being politically incorrect. I think both should resign. Leopards don't usually change their spots that quickly if at all.

Believe there is almost no chance Franken or Trump gets re-elected now. The political parties will be distancing themselves from scandal and even perceived scandal in the 2018 and 2020 elections IMO, if they are smart. Women really mean business this time. Not just a light slap on the wrist and then forget a month or two later. Those days are over. People can argue whether that is too strict or not. However, it is the new reality. That cannot be disputed.

Last edited by chessgeek; 11-18-2017 at 03:03 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 09:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,873,853 times
If Franken doesn't resign, then Moore shouldn't quit either.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:24 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,400,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
In all honesty do you view the two matters as an apples to apples comparison?

Old 11-19-2017, 04:40 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,530,533 times
Quote:
He says he will not resign.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...moore.amp.html

Old 11-19-2017, 04:42 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,489,702 times
Quote:
When my children were young, being immature as children are, they would sometimes respond in such ways as "Well, so-and-so did it, too!", or "But, so-and-so didn't get punished!".

Happily, they matured and lost those childish attitudes. Clearly, not everyone does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota