Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 AM

638 posts, read 3,124,625 times

Advertisements

bottomfly sounds like a troll.

This person definitely doesn't care for MN, but insists on posting in this forum.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,563 times
Default Not So Nice

My wife and I relocated here a couple years ago and can't wait to leave.
We love travelling around this great country and have lived in several states but this is hands down the worst and this "Minnesota Nice" thing is a total joke. These are the rudest people I have ever encountered.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 PM

82 posts, read 365,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbound View Post
We love travelling around this great country and have lived in several states but this is hands down the worst and this "Minnesota Nice" thing is a total joke. These are the rudest people I have ever encountered.
Rude how? Were they truly rude or just being typical Minnesotans as described in the various threads describing "minnesota nice"?

I'm not trying to discredit you, but what you see as rude may be something else entirely, and what you expect "minnesota nice" to be is also probably something else.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taysantanamama View Post
Rude how? Were they truly rude or just being typical Minnesotans as described in the various threads describing "minnesota nice"?

I'm not trying to discredit you, but what you see as rude may be something else entirely, and what you expect "minnesota nice" to be is also probably something else.

My wife and I could go on and on about how rude people are here. My wife is from Europe and we have lived in LA, New York, Chicago and Phoenix and I can honestly say that Minnesotans are the rudest people we have encountered in all our travels. We're not looking for someone to bring us cookies but a simple please and thank you would suffice. Those words don't seem to be in the vocabulary over here and having spent two years here I know it's not us. We have had wonderful trips to Wisonsin and Iowa where we find teh people to be wonderful. It's really the strangest thing and not something we were expecting.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:00 PM

74 posts, read 199,073 times
Quote:

HA!....and you want to move to SoCal! I've lived in California my whole life.... you don't even KNOW what 'rude' is! All I have to say is.... if you think people in MN are rude, you are in for a "rude" awakening yourself! Or, maybe you will fit right in.

My husband grew up in MN and I have visited a few times myself. The people are absolutely fabulous!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 39,361 times
Quote:
My wife and I could go on and on about how rude people are here. My wife is from Europe and we have lived in LA, New York, Chicago and Phoenix and I can honestly say that Minnesotans are the rudest people we have encountered in all our travels. We're not looking for someone to bring us cookies but a simple please and thank you would suffice. Those words don't seem to be in the vocabulary over here and having spent two years here I know it's not us. We have had wonderful trips to Wisonsin and Iowa where we find teh people to be wonderful. It's really the strangest thing and not something we were expecting.
Hmm, I wish I knew what to tell you. When I moved from Minnesota, I had people all over asking me why I was always saying "thank you" and "please", genuinely taking interest in people when I ask "how are you doing?", holding doors open for people, and I wondered how it wasn't normal for them. Maybe I can attribute it to my parents, but they also grew up in Minnesota.

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with rude people...but I can guarantee it's not the way every Minnesotan is. Perhaps the "Minnesota Nice" thing didn't apply for my town!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 PM

27 posts, read 124,149 times
Default Thougts from a MN Newbie

Well, I didn't grow up here; was raised in Michigan but have lived in other Midwest states, New England, and the south.

In lieu of the recent discussion on here started by the guy who'd lived in MN 11 months and thought it "sucked," and in answer to your question, from the perspective of someone who move here last August I love it.

People are friendly and polite (call it MN nice or whatever, but it was such a pleasant change after living out east), it's beautiful (well, okay, except for times like now when the snow is melting!), the Twin Cities have a lot of offer cultural (e.g., theatre, museums, restaurants), the northern part of the state is serene, folks are politically engaged, cost of living is very manageable (compared to many other areas in the U.S), etc. etc. etc.

My husband and I will be adopting later this year and I'm already thinking about how lucky we are to be able to raise our child in MN.

Tinky

Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 PM

27 posts, read 124,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoohaa13 View Post
Ha! I grew up in Hill City. I miss MN!!!!!

Not Rhode Island. It really sucks.

I disagree! We just moved here from RI and I'd lived there 7 years. (BTW, I was raised in Michigan.) Aside from the relative rudeness of East Coasters in general (it's just a different culture, not that they're *ssholes), RI was a fantastic place to live.

It's absolutely beautiful; how can you not appreciate the state with the most ocean coastline per square mile?! Oh, and the seafood.....how I miss the fresh seafood here.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:56 PM

769 posts, read 2,233,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUWarriorsFan View Post
I don't know about anyone else who is from Minnesota, but despite all of the hick remarks about Minnesotans, I think it the best state to live and raise a family in throughout the United States. I was wondering what other people who grew up in the state think about it?
I don't hate MN. I just find it terribly dull. I've been living in Burnsville, MN and Minneapolis since late 2004 (I was in elementary school then).
The personality of the state is to be average and inhibited. I've always been more outgoing and a bit exhibitionist. Anybody who is outgoing and social is going to find MN dull. That is a fact.

The whole Minnesota Nice thing is just some lame way to describe how people say Hi to you but aren't really that interested in starting a conversation because they are bored. The women here have average personalities and generally act like they are still in high school. I am constantly disgusted by the fact that I can easily see women wearing sweatshirts in 90 degree weather *shakes head*. If it weren't for the frequent trips I take outside of the state I'd be a walking zombie. Burnsville Mn is so dull. For fun people go to the Regal Cinema in Eagan. I seriously see lines stretching into the parking lot.

MN is a great place to be forgotten but it doesn't have much opportunities for an ambitious young man in his early twenties because Minnesotans view a spirited and outgoing personality with extreme suspicion.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:50 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I am constantly disgusted by the fact that I can easily see women wearing sweatshirts in 90 degree weather *shakes head*.
I see more t-shirts in 50 degree weather than sweatshirts in 90 degree weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota