Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngurbanprofessional View Post
I just posted about this and this thread proves that point.

Minnesota-centricism: The idealogy that Minnesota is the greatest state in the history and present day United States Nation and World.
The State of Minnesota has its shortcomings, certainly, but it also has a fairly long list of strengths. This should be obvious to anyone who has lived there for any lengthy period of time. Even you.

I happen to believe that Minnesota has a number of specific advantages when compared to states like Illinois (where your beloved City of Chicago resides) or Georgia (where I to live right now, but more by circumstances than by choice), but those two states also have advantages of their own.

I fail to see how my viewpoint is in any way unreasonable. I acknowledge your opinion, of course, and you are welcome to it, but I think you're mainly engaging in colorful rhetoric here, and that your sweeping conclusions are largely baseless. Since you no longer live in MN, it's no longer your problem, so you should be happy ... no?

Quote:
As someone who grew up and spend 23 years in MN, I moved out and it was by far the best decision I ever made.
People should be able to live where they want to live. Congratulations on being able to do what many people are not easily able to do.

Quote:
There are better places in the world.
Obviously. There are also worse places in the world, and a very large selection of places which are better in some ways and worse in others.

The world isn't strictly a black and white proposition.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:35 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,115 times
Quote:

Minnesota-centricism: The idealogy that Minnesota is the greatest state in the history and present day United States Nation and World.

As someone who grew up and spend 23 years in MN, I moved out and it was by far the best decision I ever made.

To each his/her own. For my part, I'd like to move to MN. I've lived in a number of places and seen more. I can say, based on my experience as a student AND an educator, that MN looks pretty good in that department. I have thoroughly enjoyed almost all my interactions with people in MN. I'm NOT a native of MN so I consider my viewpoint to be pretty damn objective. Are there better places in the world? You'd get better health care in Scandinavia, and British Columbia and the Canadian Rockies is more beautiful, but for an overall balance of quality of life, I like the looks of MN. I'll say I'm glad that your decision to move out of the state worked out for you, if you'll respect my reasons for wanting to move in!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,487 times
Quote:

Morgan Quitno did rank Minnesota as the #1 most livable state in the country from 1996-2003 and #2 to New Hampshire 2004-2007.

I have lived in other states and cities within the country, as well as other places around the globe. I am now moving my main home back to MN, as I have not found a better overall quality of life for myself anywhere else in the United States. I will also keep a couple small places outside the US. I would still rather spend a weekend in Europe or South America than a weekend "up north" at the cabin. I can see why others enjoy it so much though. Many people from Chicago head to their cabins in Wisconsin for the weekend.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 AM

721 posts, read 2,609,442 times
Minnesota is a great state and place to live. It has its drawbacks as most places do (winter seems to last FOREVER), but as far as quality of life, green spaces, parks, and access to quality healthcare and jobs-it ranks pretty high.

It would be nice if Minnesota was not a state dominated by one metro area. It would be nice to see other sections of the state grow-and not the St. Cloud to Rochester corridor.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Minnesota is a great state and place to live. It has its drawbacks as most places do (winter seems to last FOREVER), but as far as quality of life, green spaces, parks, and access to quality healthcare and jobs-it ranks pretty high.

It would be nice if Minnesota was not a state dominated by one metro area. It would be nice to see other sections of the state grow-and not the St. Cloud to Rochester corridor.

There aren't many states that have more then one major metro area though. It isn't all that unusual. With the exception of California, Texas, Florida and a few other's, most states have one dominant metro area.

I also think that people THINK there aren't jobs, etc. outstate when infact there are many mini-centers all over the state, Rochester, Duluth, Mankato and even smaller areas that are thriving, Marshall, Willmar, the Brainerd/Alexandria lakes area, etc.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,442 times
I'm not so sure, I think there are many states that have more than one major metro area. Ohio, Penn, Missouri, AZ, Tenn, NC, NY, and others that are growing like WI with Madison and Milwaukee, and Washington with Spokane and Vancouver.

I think it makes it very difficult for other smaller cities in states like MN, and some western states to grow. Think of places like (since we are talking about MN) Duluth that should have a situational advantage (access to a port, lower cost for shipping, access to water, higher educational institutions, good hospitals, available land) to attract business and grow their cities. I can't put my finger on Duluth's problem (bad rep, bad weather, cold) those are the obvious answers.

I think it is an awesome city, with good access to the outdoors, affordable homes, available and educated workforce, tax breaks and incentives, good schools. Yet, the metro seems to suck all of the jobs away from the rural areas that end up depending on tourism and low end service jobs to eek out a living. Brainerd and Bemidji are summer places and tourism based.

Last edited by newcastle; 02-15-2008 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 01:16 PM

50 posts, read 163,959 times
We don't live in MN (yet) but have visited before. Youbetcha it's a great place!!! We loved it!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
I'm not so sure, I think there are many states that have more than one major metro area. Ohio, Penn, Missouri, AZ, Tenn, NC, NY, and others that are growing like WI with Madison and Milwaukee, and Washington with Spokane and Vancouver.

I think it makes it very difficult for other smaller cities in states like MN, and some western states to grow. Think of places like (since we are talking about MN) Duluth that should have a situational advantage (access to a port, lower cost for shipping, access to water, higher educational institutions, good hospitals, available land) to attract business and grow their cities. I can't put my finger on Duluth's problem (bad rep, bad weather, cold) those are the obvious answers.

I think it is an awesome city, with good access to the outdoors, affordable homes, available and educated workforce, tax breaks and incentives, good schools. Yet, the metro seems to suck all of the jobs away from the rural areas that end up depending on tourism and low end service jobs to eek out a living. Brainerd and Bemidji are summer places and tourism based.
I'd have to agree that Duluth should have everything going for it (except the weather - it wouldn't deter me personally, but I know it does others). You've stated the positives for Duluth really well. Perhaps Duluth is fighting some lingering stigma left over from when the economy bottomed out post iron and timber boom. Maybe the proposed commuter rail between Duluth and the TC will help.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 AM

21 posts, read 97,766 times
I was born in MN and now, 29 years later, I want to relocate due to the weather. It is too cold, windy, and the snow is too much to handle. I have medical problems that are forcing me away from here in order to feel better but in the long run, MN is a great state. I will miss seeing the forests, rivers, lakes, and beautiful landscaping that our state has to view.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treu79 View Post
I was born in MN and now, 29 years later, I want to relocate due to the weather. It is too cold, windy, and the snow is too much to handle. I have medical problems that are forcing me away from here in order to feel better but in the long run, MN is a great state. I will miss seeing the forests, rivers, lakes, and beautiful landscaping that our state has to view.

I don't know if you have found a new place to live but South Carolina has a lot of pine forests and looks very similar to northern MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota