Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 08:55 PM

941 posts, read 3,910,035 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'm considering a move from my current location. I was told to check out Minnesota because it would mesh with me.

I know nothing about Minnesota; I've never been there. Is it anything like Montana [I know nothing about Montana, either]? I do know it gets bitter cold up there, but I love winter.

Few things about me. I am young in my twenties; single; self-sufficient; reserved.

I like small/rural areas, old houses, and fixing 'em up. Are they plentiful in MN in rural areas? Is property/land tax expensive? Is it outdoors friendly? I like to hunt, fish, and camping. Is it a gun-friendly state? Both handguns and rifles.

Is it expensive to live in MN? What kind of employment is available in MN? I barely have a career; sans degree to boot. Would that shut me out of jobs besides "You want fries with that, sir?" or "Welcome to WALLLLMAAARTTT! Need a cart?!"

Thanks in advance for any insight that may be provided.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,725 times
Well, I think MN would fit you perfectly. I see you love winter, but you will not love the absolute bitter cold in the dead of winter. Yes, it is draining mentally and physically...but somehow we all manage.

I know nothing about Montana, so no comment there.

There are plentiful amounts of small towns, but if you want a decent job, you don't want to live on a lake 50 minutes from a mid-sized town. Also, it depends on your view on small towns, but Duluth seems like it would be a pretty good fit. If you worked in Duluth, but lived in Hermantown, or farther in Proctor, Esko, or Cloquet, that wouldn't be all too bad.

We have better property taxes than Wisconsin, I do believe.

Plenty of fishing in Summer and Winter.

Hunting is pretty big up here during the season.

So, all in all, MN seems like a perfect fit. If you can handle the winters, by all means, move here. It's a great state.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,787 times
North Dakota would be another place to check out.....

Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Sounds good. I'll check out Duluth. Any other areas? How big is Duluth? How's the crime? I see it's a port city, so...

I view small towns as towns having 15k or less in population, and is not a part of any metro area [which is real tough nowadays].

How does the cold differ there from here? Although we hardly get snow anymore, it's always below freezing in the winter months. It's constantly windy, which gives the climate a nasty wind chill which makes it feel colder than it already is. I can deal with that just fine. I like it much better if it isn't windy - then I'm happy outside in the white stuff. I like snow that stays snow. Here, it turns mush then freezes up as the day/night pass.

ND always seem desolate to me. But it's different, and I like different.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 PM

305 posts, read 991,491 times
Being a native Minnesotan I would say its a great fit for you. The snow doesnt bother me either. Now the bitter cold well lets just say that days you may feel like a popsicle. Hey if you get AAA and have a good battery and dont mind taking your battery out of your vehicle you will do fine. I know its sort of expensive to live in certain areas but their are worse. I have underground heated parking and my car stays warm. Welcome to MN.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Guess MN winters is something I'll just have to experience myself.

I'm pretty handy. Just call me Mr. Jack-of-trades. I recently discovered MN winters like to eat car batteries. Wow, I never knew such thing existed. I better buy new batteries for my cars [they are really old, but works fine]. I do have AAA - I have been a Plus member for a decade.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 PM

And if buying a home in MN, how much will I pay in taxes and utilities? Tax isn't too bad, about 1.1k for a crappy TH in DC metro area. Utilities, though, are rather expensive.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Sounds good. I'll check out Duluth. Any other areas? How big is Duluth? How's the crime? I see it's a port city, so...

I view small towns as towns having 15k or less in population, and is not a part of any metro area [which is real tough nowadays].

How does the cold differ there from here? Although we hardly get snow anymore, it's always below freezing in the winter months. It's constantly windy, which gives the climate a nasty wind chill which makes it feel colder than it already is. I can deal with that just fine. I like it much better if it isn't windy - then I'm happy outside in the white stuff. I like snow that stays snow. Here, it turns mush then freezes up as the day/night pass.

ND always seem desolate to me. But it's different, and I like different.
A little info about Duluth:
About 85k people, but I think with the Duluth, Superior, Proctor, Hermantown, etc area, it comes out to about close to if not 200k. Though, honestly, it doesn't feel like it. Most of the crowdedness you'll ever feel is in Canal Park/Park Point in the summer (especially Grandma's Marathon. It's anarchy here during that time.) You really won't find much crime at all. Infact, Hermantown (which is right on the border of Duluth. cross Haines Rd and you're in ) just had it's first homicide a few weeks ago. I don't know if that says much.

A lot of people will say to stay away from the west end or central hillside. Honestly, I lived in central hillside before a few years ago and I never had any problems at all.

And yeah, the west end can be pretty dumpy looking, but believe it or not: There ARE some very nice parts that I have seen. The closer you live to the east end, or the mall area (Duluth heights) , I would say, the better off you'll be.

Cloquet is 25 minutes south, Esko is 20 minutes south, Proctor is right on the border with Duluth as well, but there isn't a single job I could really think of there, unless you worked at a gas station or at the school. (Of course you could always drive to Duluth for your job needs.)

I know absolutely nothing about MD, but our winters are a horror story. Honestly and truly, they are probably the #1 reason I don't like Minnesota. Minnesota is a beautiful state with a lot of opportunity, lakes, and natural beauty, but the weather just kills the deal for me. There is always a temp difference between here and Minneapolis/St. Paul. In the winter, they'll be about 5 degrees warmer, so, not much difference. But in the summer, that 5-10 degrees warmer that they are can make a world of difference. Duluth barely has a summer, while the Twin Cities a very good summer.

(Though, truth be told, the coast along Montenegro in Europe has the best summer weather. Ridiculous how nice it is there.)

Old 12-14-2008, 08:45 PM

Duluth sounds too big to my liking, but if I'll never notice, then maybe. I just don't like people. :P Is there Superior, MN? Or does Superior, WI just get included in every statistic because it's on MN/WI border? For some reason, I wouldn't take living in WI. :P

Dumpy-looking areas don't bother me. As long as the occupants aren't causing trouble, they can make their home however they want to look. Some just can't afford or understand the concpet of upkeep. I see it as an opportunity to buy a property on the cheap. However, I'll start with east end as per your suggestion.

I'll spend a few days in MN in the winter to see how I take to it. It's currently 43 here, and I feel great outside.

I'll agree to that. I went to Montenegro a few months after their independence, and it's just paradise!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Duluth sounds too big to my liking, but if I'll never notice, then maybe. I just don't like people. :P Is there Superior, MN? Or does Superior, WI just get included in every statistic because it's on MN/WI border? For some reason, I wouldn't take living in WI. :P

Dumpy-looking areas don't bother me. As long as the occupants aren't causing trouble, they can make their home however they want to look. Some just can't afford or understand the concpet of upkeep. I see it as an opportunity to buy a property on the cheap. However, I'll start with east end as per your suggestion.

I'll spend a few days in MN in the winter to see how I take to it. It's currently 43 here, and I feel great outside.

I'll agree to that. I went to Montenegro a few months after their independence, and it's just paradise!
Superior, WI is kinda included in the "metro" since it's right across the bridge. They call this area the Twin Ports area. Because of Duluth and Superior.

Right now, it's 1. Tomorrow, it's an "anticipated" high of -1, and low of -24. Today was pretty much near blizzard conditions. I don't think we got hit as hard as Fargo, ND though. So yay to that one!

East end can be very expensive. And the west end, you'll just know the bad parts when you see them.

Consider Hermantown as well when you're looking at land and houses.

Oh, and awesome that you went to Montenegro! Lots of people never heard of it before. People always ask where my dad is from, but they never know where it is, when I tell them! I've been there twice. This March, and this July. March was rainy and cloudy, but I never really had to wear more than a sweatshirt. Here in MN, you'll still be dealing with snow and jackets in March. Possibly even a big "finale" snow storm.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, everywhere in MN, you will find A LOT of small towns/townships. If those are more to your liking, investigate them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota