Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't know if you have found a new place to live but South Carolina has a lot of pine forests and looks very similar to northern MN.
So does Georgia, FWIW. Atlanta is in the middle of a fairly dense pine forest.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:21 PM

33 posts, read 40,372 times
I'm not from Minnesota, but I have lived here on and off for the last 12 years, plus I've lived in 5 other states, but I have to say Minnesota has it's good and bad, just like every state, and every state has something special. I think Minneapolis is a pretty cool town, but L.A. and Chicago kick butt too. California and the Santa Monica Mountains are nice, so is Duluth and the rocky shores of Lake Superior, to all the great lakes and Michigans coasts, to the Rocky Mountains and to the shores of Maine. Every state in this country kicks ass and has something great to offer. You just need to look beyond thinking your state is the best and enjoy what every state has to offer.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM

638 posts, read 3,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybrad77 View Post
I'm not from Minnesota, but I have lived here on and off for the last 12 years, plus I've lived in 5 other states, but I have to say Minnesota has it's good and bad, just like every state, and every state has something special. I think Minneapolis is a pretty cool town, but L.A. and Chicago kick butt too. California and the Santa Monica Mountains are nice, so is Duluth and the rocky shores of Lake Superior, to all the great lakes and Michigans coasts, to the Rocky Mountains and to the shores of Maine. Every state in this country kicks ass and has something great to offer. You just need to look beyond thinking your state is the best and enjoy what every state has to offer.

Well said, jaybrad77!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 PM

389 posts, read 1,657,239 times
The Rochester ,Albert lea,Faribault triangle is is the best place to live at least it was for me when I used to live in those areas.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:46 AM

571 posts, read 2,530,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
Is there more to Minnesota than the twin cities? Just kidding, just wanted to start a fight... My ideal perfect town is in terms of population 10k to no more than 30k in the woods and surrounded by lakes with free or affordable public access.
Sounds a lot like where I live...Grand Rapids is about 8K people (city proper). We have a Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. If you need more, Duluth is only 1.5 hours away. We're nestled in next to the Chippewa national forest and have 1,000 lakes just in Itasca county alone (including big Winnie)! Never heard of anything but free public water access until I lived in Colorado.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 PM

72 posts, read 255,842 times
Quote:
Sounds a lot like where I live...Grand Rapids is about 8K people (city proper).
Ha! I grew up in Hill City. I miss MN!!!!!
Quote:
Every state in this country kicks ass and has something great to offer. You just need to look beyond thinking your state is the best and enjoy what every state has to offer.
Not Rhode Island. It really sucks.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM

82 posts, read 365,350 times
I love Minnesota. I lived there all my life, from small town north central Mn, Ely, Duluth and finally "the cities". I have to say I appreciated MSP the most, after hardly ever going there growing up and into adulthood, when I moved, I swore I would never move away. It was cosmopolitan(I have been to many of the US larger cities so can realisticly compare)but still small town, had great retail, art, culture, diversity, but though it sucked when you were in it, the traffic still couldn't compare to how it is elsewhere in the country, and so much green space, beautiful lakes, the river, the wonderful seasons. I did move away, and now appreciate how wonderful MN is. I loved the pictures of St. Paul and Duluth, they bring me back. I used to love getting off work in December, (worked on Kellogg between market and st. peter)and rice park was all lit up, the skating rink was up next to the landmark, people were on their way to dinner or a wild game, the air was biting but exhilerating, you could just feel the excitement in the air, then I would get to my car and drive by mears park looking so pretty, I miss it so much. To me, Minnesota is paradise. And I live in Hawaii. Don't get me wrong, island life is great now, in Feb. but I will miss the spring thaw, our wonderful green summers, going to Cup 'n Cone and Como Zoo, and dear God, I will miss fall. That woodsmoke smell, the beautiful leaves, the shorter days, cool nights, Minnesota truly has it all. And if you want more, take a 6 hour drive to Chicago. But Mn is where my hear will always be.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 PM

72 posts, read 255,842 times
Quote:
and dear God, I will miss fall. That woodsmoke smell, the beautiful leaves, the shorter days, cool nights
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 03-02-2008, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 19,883 times
Minneapolis.....clogged freeways, polluted lakes, poor air quality, bad weather, lots of crime....need I say more. AWESOME -- NOT

Old 03-02-2008, 10:29 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttomfly View Post
Minneapolis.....clogged freeways, polluted lakes, poor air quality, bad weather, lots of crime....need I say more. AWESOME -- NOT
Clogged freeways? Polluted lakes? Poor air quality? Bad weather? Lots of crime? Compared to what?

Comparing the Twin Cites metro to almost any other major metro area in the country makes most of those claims seem completely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota