Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:31 PM

82 posts, read 272,753 times

Advertisements

I'm from Massachusetts, but in 1999 lived in St. Paul when I worked at the Titanic Artifact Exhibition (held at the Union Depot)

I was so impressed with the Twin Cities, and the friendliness of Minnesotans, I'm seriously considering moving back-

I have a question- I kept hearing the term 'Minnesota nice'- what does that mean? Minnesota's an awsome place...I was there in the fall and winter-sadly I didn't see it in the summer- I hear it's beautiful..

What is the average cost of a house in Minnestoa?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 PM

175 posts, read 731,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
I

I have a question- I kept hearing the term 'Minnesota nice'- what does that mean? Minnesota's an awsome place...I was there in the fall and winter-sadly I didn't see it in the summer- I hear it's beautiful..

What is the average cost of a house in Minnestoa?
I won't comment on Minnesota nice.... however yes, the weather here is beautiful in the spring, summer and fall. I am even liking the snow this winter. The cold feels good after the hot, dry summer we just had.

The average cost of a house in the Twin Cities is about $235,000 - $300,000.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM

"I won't comment on Minnesota nice"

I didn't mean any disrespect-I was just curious what it meant-at any rate, i found the people in Minnesota to be friendly and all around wonderful..

Old 12-11-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
I won't comment on Minnesota nice.... however yes, the weather here is beautiful in the spring, summer and fall. I am even liking the snow this winter. The cold feels good after the hot, dry summer we just had.

The average cost of a house in the Twin Cities is about $235,000 - $300,000.

One thing I love about Christmas is the snow...Minnesota seems an ideal place to wake up on Christmas morning and see snow on the ground..

Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
I have a question- I kept hearing the term 'Minnesota nice'- what does that mean?
It means if you are in need of help, somebody will probably help you. If your car needs a jump start, somebody will happily do it. If you drive off the road into the ditch, somebody will probably help pull your car out. If your car dies in the middle of the road, people will stop and help you push it. If you need directions, most people will gladly give them to you. Your neighbors might clear your driveway with their snowblower if there was a big snow storm and they see you out shoveling by hand. People will usually be friendly and polite to you, even if they do not know you.

It does not mean these same people will instantly become your best friend and invite you in to their house for coffee and cookies after jump starting your car, as some non-natives seemed to expect in previous threads on this subject.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
It means if you are in need of help, somebody will probably help you. If your car needs a jump start, somebody will happily do it. If you drive off the road into the ditch, somebody will probably help pull your car out. If your car dies in the middle of the road, people will stop and help you push it. If you need directions, most people will gladly give them to you. Your neighbors might clear your driveway with their snowblower if there was a big snow storm and they see you out shoveling by hand. People will usually be friendly and polite to you, even if they do not know you.

It does not mean these same people will instantly become your best friend and invite you in to their house for coffee and cookies after jump starting your car, as some non-natives seemed to expect in previous threads on this subject.
Very true.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Very true.

I'm from the northeast, where people are inclined to ignore those who need help...People broken down on the side of the road are usually ignored .....
My car broke down during a massive rainstorm and not one person stopped to help..

So Not getting invited over for tea and crumpets is old hat for me...

Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 AM

721 posts, read 2,609,442 times
Minnesota nice also means that people will be nice to your face and rude behind your back, people will not confront you if there is a problem, and people will think that you confronting them is rude. Confrontation avoidance.

Minnesota nice does mean people will generally help you out if you are in need.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:03 AM

638 posts, read 3,123,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Minnesota nice also means that people will be nice to your face and rude behind your back, people will not confront you if there is a problem, and people will think that you confronting them is rude. Confrontation avoidance.

Minnesota nice does mean people will generally help you out if you are in need.
I've never experienced the part about people being rude behind your back. However, the confrontation avoidance is very true. And other people being emotional or loud is also out of character for most of Scandinavian descent; they will avoid that also.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 AM

418 posts, read 906,310 times
I lived here for 15 years and am a transplant from the coast. The quote that sticks in my mind that describes befriending native Minnesotans is " their dance card is full ". Most have their cliques and you are always an outsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota