Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Minnesota nice also means that people will be nice to your face and rude behind your back, people will not confront you if there is a problem, and people will think that you confronting them is rude. Confrontation avoidance.

Minnesota nice does mean people will generally help you out if you are in need.
The first definition is the original one, which is true. The second definition is what many natives (who don't understand the concept of irony) think it means.

Definitions aside, I do find Minnesotans to be non-cofrontational, smile in your face, stab your back, passiver agressive, BUT I also find Minnesotans to be extremely helpful to those in need. For me anyway, I'm willing to put up with large quanities of passive-agressiveness in return for greater quantities of helpful, community-oriented, peace-loving behavior. I love living in MN and I love Minnesotans (Despite their faults).

Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 PM

81 posts, read 295,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The first definition is the original one, which is true. The second definition is what many natives (who don't understand the concept of irony) think it means.

Definitions aside, I do find Minnesotans to be non-cofrontational, smile in your face, stab your back, passiver agressive, BUT I also find Minnesotans to be extremely helpful to those in need. For me anyway, I'm willing to put up with large quanities of passive-agressiveness in return for greater quantities of helpful, community-oriented, peace-loving behavior. I love living in MN and I love Minnesotans (Despite their faults).
Where are we finding these "large amounts of passive agressive"?
and also, why are they being so passive agressive? just for the fun of it?many natives who don't understand the concept of irony? I'm thinking you've got some arrogance about where you're coming from. Minnesotans are very tolerant but they really don't like arrogance and they take (not unjustified)pride in Minnesota. And thinking that Minnesotans are naive and ignorant won't help you find any Minnesota nice.

Last edited by kg1701d; 12-14-2007 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 12-19-2007, 11:57 AM

284 posts, read 1,657,067 times
I believe someone on a different, similar post mentioned Jante Law which is the Scandinavian origin of "Minnesota Nice."

Full definition here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jante_Law and summary below.

There are ten different rules in the law, but they are all variations on a single theme and are usually referred to as a homogeneous unit: Don't think you're anyone special or that you're better than us.

The ten rules are:

Don't think that you are special.
Don't think that you are of the same standing as us.
Don't think that you are smarter than us.
Don't fancy yourself as being better than us.
Don't think that you know more than us.
Don't think that you are more important than us.
Don't think that you are good at anything.
Don't laugh at us.
Don't think that anyone cares about you.
Don't think that you can teach us anything.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,961 times
Like right now I'm being Minnesota nice.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:51 PM

115 posts, read 380,716 times
Born and raised here.Most people here think the world revolves around them.And the farthest most native Minnesotans have ventured out of state is Hudson or Superior ,Wisconsin because it gives an extra hour of drinking.
Minnesota nice is BS.It may have existed Ages ago but not anymore.Too many outsiders have moved in.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM

Like I said before. Minnesota nice is the ability to eat lutefisk with a smile on your face while hiding the fact that you really hate it.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:45 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Like I said before. Minnesota nice is the ability to eat lutefisk with a smile on your face while hiding the fact that you really hate it.
The German population in Minnesota (probably the majority in much of the state) doesn't eat lutefisk. Though I think sauerkraut is almost as bad.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 AM

72,997 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Minnesota nice also means that people will be nice to your face and rude behind your back, people will not confront you if there is a problem, and people will think that you confronting them is rude. Confrontation avoidance.

Minnesota nice does mean people will generally help you out if you are in need.
Accoding to that definition, that sounds like alot of places in the USA.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The German population in Minnesota (probably the majority in much of the state) doesn't eat lutefisk. Though I think sauerkraut is almost as bad.
Just imagine if you were the child of a German and Scandinavian union.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 46,808 times
Minnesota nice means if you follow someone through a door they will let it close, or if you signal a turn and the driver in the opposite lane is at a stop, they will hurry up and not let you through, or you just got married and no one at work congratulates you, or you spent three days in the hospital and never heard from a soul, or you are in grocery line marked for ten items or less, all the lines are full including the ten or less but this guy is now ahead of you with a full shopping cart. There is no Minnesota nice anymore it's a lib fib!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota